Dreaming in Sepia
Memories of childhood
in sepia.
Photos, with dust of 20 years
yet remain
black and white.
Baby photos
fat and naughty,
I dont recognise
myself.
A 5 year old
looks angry,
as angry
as a 5 year old can be,
disturbed from her nap
to pose in a photo?
Sundays in white kurtas
wanting to be like Dad.
The first scar,
and stitches on the chin.
A proud moment...
I didnt cry.
Eating sugar at the neighbour's.
Plucking vegetables
from their backyard.
Schooldays... were the days.
A favourite of the teachers.
A happy child.
As dreams of my childhood are being realised,
somewhere,
the childhood of my dreams will slowly be lost.
I want to be a kid
again.


23 Comments:
and when u find the time machine, please share it with this friend of urs... for i too would like to turn a few decades back... and re-re-re-relive those years of childhood :|
not that i'm not a kid now... a tall balding kid maybe... but a kid nevertheless :)
Those were the days indeed.I so want to be in first grade.Exams didn't decide your life back then, did they?
dont we all..
but thn again there are some of those things that as a child u cannot hope to have ever, ur independence for example
me too! me too!
How play-time ended when it became dark out side.
Bed times were so much earlier and looking at one's father work with awe in one's eyes.
Rejecting yucky veges and keeping space for dessert.
Adventures with other pals in the nearby jungles. Guns made out of sticks and castles made out of sand.
--
Sweetly written this post... I do wish I never grew up. Even though thats the only thing I wanted to do when I was a child.
A very warm and well written post! I'm all nostalgic now. It seemed so *cool* to be grown up back then...little did I know that it stinks to be one!
Raven,
Yup, until we find the time machine, we will have to make do with being grown-up kids :)
EU,
On the contrary, exams decided a lot more then than they do now :)
Take it easy girl. This too shall pass.
Jhantu,
Yup, it is just one of those things which you remember sometimes. The childhood days :)
Tart,
Looks like you arent the only one ;)
11/7,
Even though thats the only thing I wanted to do when I was a child.
Well, that's what life is all about I guess. When were we ever satisfied with what we have? :)
Tanya,
Are you the Tanya I know? :)
Appu,
Oh she is. Poor girl :)
Tanushree,
Yes but we cant let that child show up so often now, can we... we are supposed to be all mature now :p
true! but I am getting to re-live it all again raising li'l A (my 3 yr old)....
Nice poem.. I don't mean to be a critic, but I think the word 'child' would be better suited to the overall feel of your poem, than 'kid', as was used in the last couplet. It also goes with the talk about childhood in the previous set.
Oh so nice.
So do I, I was no teaches pet, not brave with stiches but oh those were the bestest ening ever the dreams of my childhood....
tis so true. I want them both!
Its quite alright if you have no idea what i jsut said.
Nice one...were u flipping through some old family albumn ?
good one casa..i wish i cud be a kid too..but only that i dont want any exams again :-s
How True ! wish we could get back those days and re-live every moment of it ...delete the exams bit ..that was a terror :p
Good write up :)
S
I love this song you have put up.
Nice poem :)
Should have come with a sepia picture of the poetess :p
favorite student and happy child...they struck a chord...btw..are you taking requests for updating the song on your site...its been like a decade :P...no? awrite.
Orchid,
That sounds like a lot of work though ;)
Mockingbird,
Well most of what I write has a reference to my life, even if it doesnt sound very literary. So I'll let the 'kid' remain. There is a bit of a difference between the words, as I see them :)
Karuna,
Dont worry, most of it makes sense :)
Pointy,
No, just remembering things.
Godo, S,
For some reason, exams form only part of my memories. I never hated them as much as others seem too. And then again, even after I started working, I've been voluntarily taking exams... so I am not one to complain :)
Aparna,
Song is from 'Paap'. Oh, how John Abraham melts my heart. And no more pictures for now :p
Aristera,
Ye dil bahut kuch dhoondta hai...
Sigh.
Totti,
And the request is?
i love the phrase
'the childhood of my dreams'
simply put n so true :)
bu when did you grow up kiddo ;)
Bright Red,
i love the phrase
Make that two of us :)
San,
Now dont force me to start calling you auntie, okay :p
pah i no auntie .. i would have no objection with being called baachu :p
but fine buddi maa is ur new pet name
No no, kiddo was better.
Sigh.
:(
This poem is just too awesome. So simple and yet deliver so much. Every line takes us to that childhood.
And of course I love the last lines
"As dreams of my childhood are being realised,
somewhere,
the childhood of my dreams will slowly be lost."
Wow.
Pranay,
Thanks so much. Your compliments are very generous :)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home