Post No. 250
It was a strange weekend. I wont go into details, but suffices to say that I had dinner at home on friday, saturday and sunday. But sunday dinner was not bad at all... greasy chinese food and fresh walnut brownies. I love my cooking. Yumm. Other than that, the weekend was mostly about questions... a lot of angst, some explicable, some not. Some people have the talent of winding you up so much, that unwinding is time-taking and tiring. And yet we let them do it to us. Maybe it is hope. That people will be considerate the next time. Maybe it is foolishness. That we allow people to trouble us again and again. Maybe we do put our hearts out there a little too much. Which makes me ask, is 20-something the new teen-age? Yes I know there is no age limit on heartbreaks, heartaches, confusions and questions, but werent we supposed to have matured by now, to handle them well?
Identity crises and insecurities were for the pimple-squeezing, backpack-carrying, insecure, apprehensive teenager. NOT for the 20-something, deal-making, formalwear-touting, salaried executives. But the world seems to have changed since the last time you looked. They say 40 is the new 30. I think 25 is the new 18. Yet, the 18 year old, among all the confusions and crushes and expectations, still finds time to be passionate about things close to his heart. Puppy love. First kiss. College admissions. Big dreams. But we, we the 20-somethings, have seem to have lost all that passion somewhere... very little seems to hold 100% of our atttention or fondness. We are always searching, always scanning. When will we grow up?


18 Comments:
A rather consistent thought process focused on the need to grow up of late. Whats up?
- RMOPLF
zqwzl
Oh teenage was easy. Why else do you think they have a "Quarter Life Crisis"?
./w
See, I already told you that growing up sucks. Gah! And I cannot help but point out that what you actually meant to say was "That people will be 'considerate' the next time." Not 'considerable'. Yeah. :)
well i was just going to say what ./w just said!
Quarter Life crisis.... one phenomenon which is beyond my comprehension!!
But welcome anywhow :-)
I visit ur blog, but usually dont comment, however, this post and the song playing in the background touched a chord...
Thought I'd drop a line to say, it happens, although some people never ever grow up :D
-Fishy
let's hope that angst is a sign of things being in motion, emotions, careers and lives...
=)
a toast to being young, fucked up and being able to make great brownies!
muah muah
p.s. the airconditioning has officially effed my brain.
mmmm. well, at least, as 20-somethings, we have better taste than we did as 18-somethings!
;-)
RMOPLF,
Interesting observation there. Unfortunately, I dont have the answer... but food for thought, surely.
W,
And that will be followed by mid-life crisis. When will we not have to be insecure? Sigh.
WT,
But years keep going and we are forced to grow up, na?
And thanks for pointing it out... corrected it.
11/7,
But quarter-life crisis is a little different from this lack of passion and drive, isnt it?
Fishy,
A very fishy comment there.. 'it happens'. What be 'it', may I ask?
Jups,
*raises her glass*
And that reminds me, we still have half a bottle of sweet wine to finish. Plis to take care of your throat in your freezer-office.
LH,
Love that thought! Awesome. We are messed up, but atleast we look good while we are at it :D
I think not. I think being here.. smack in the middle ... niether 30 and some distance from 20 its absolute mayhem. One thinks of all the things that need to be done but the will inside is sort of dead. We want... but we wont go out and get it.
I think one of the most haunting cycles our brains go through at this time is 'Is it worth all the effort and the years it requires?' or 'Do I really want this?'.
I find myself in this easy handcart sort of way to move through life right now.. even though I should be in a motor car or something.Weird analogy ... I know.
As far as passions and the fire in the belly goes I guess as time passed us by from 20 to 25ish we realised day by day how confused we are between living the good life and slogging hard and wait a while. Speaking for myself I find myself spending more on today than saving for tomorrow..
- Rambling me
Humsh...20-something is an age I for one seem to be exciting...something definitely to look forward to...
But I guess, people still have their problems, still have their immaturity that's part of their personality...I guess it all depends!! All depends on their mentality whether or not they choose to create their own mid-life crisis...
Bleh...>_< Who am I to say something I hardly understand, It'll be ages before I reach that age! ^-^
scary thought: what if we're cursed to be teenagers all our lives?
Make hay when the sun shines.. coz tomorrow you may not know what's in store.
i grow up a little every day - but with me it was 2 steps far too forward at an early stage - i don't want to grow up anymore :(
Well, the good news is that you have a chance of having a good 25 years between the two crises. :)
./w
Grow up? I am still not comfortable with that idea :D
well, why is growing up all about losing our innocence !?!
11/7,
Just realised that you are Saurabh :p
Yeah, kind of makes sense... this 'do I really want this?' question is a killer, I tell ya!
MC,
Enjoy it while you can, kid :)
Cowlick,
I guess that is something our generation seems to be cursed with already... scary indeed :(
Me,
Very profound... but doesnt seem to make sense to me in this context. Plis to explain :p
San,
I wish time would freeze. I wish...
W,
Or maybe mid-life crisis now comes a little early to us, the jet-setting generation? Maybe we wont live to be a 50 :(
SS,
Hey, of all people, you shouldnt be talking of growing up. You are like the senior citizen among the bloggers, eh ;)
Once Again,
Call it what you may, but all I want to know is when will we stop being confused and insecure in life. Innocence has already been lost, whether we want it or not... sad no, getting the raw end of both deals?
Then I shall proclaim, Growing up is not a good idea, Young One. Aap jab sattaesh saal ke honge tab aapko yeh eshsaash hoga.
So few chances to play the wise ass here... can't let it go when I get one. Can I? :D
ciao!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home