The Simple Life
Urgent Lifestyle Downgrader Needed.
All posh lattes from Starbucks and Spinelli to be replaced by local kopi. Milk and taste, optional.
Lunch-time binge shopping to be replaced by cheap lunches. Sandwiches or local food only. Pasta and fish-n-chips are not on the menu.
No more new shoes. Exception clause - allowance to be made in the case of sudden demise of an existing pair. Murder of any existing pair not allowed.
Elevate the working class. Resolve not to pay another individual to shampoo and wash hair. It is exploitative, capitalistic and utterly relaxing.
Must not visit manicurist every week. Must explore other alternatives - self service while watching TV at home. Perfection not guaranteed.
Movie theatre visits to be rationed, to less than or equal to, one a month. Downloaded and borrowed DVDs allowed. Extra points for not returning said DVDs to friends.
Spa treatments and back massages to be avoided. Sleeping on a firm surface recommended for a stronger back. Concrete floor might or might not work.
International phonecalls to be suspended. All family and friends living overseas to be emotionally blackmailed in calling back. Occasional SMS-ing allowed.
No holiday to be untertaken unless some portion of the holiday comes free. No excuses allowed. Subject has seen example of free tickets coming her way.
Fine dining to be indulged in, only if paid for by boss or by friends. Some amount of haggling and melodrama with friends may be required.
Dry cleaning of all formals to be continued as-is, to avoid the scenario of deteriorating condition of clothes, leading to purchase of more expensive ones.
No more candle or lamp purchases allowed unless subject plans to put the house on fire. Reduce current consumption from 8 tealights a day to 2.
Purchase of new, dark curtains for the bedroom are allowed. Less sunlight = more sleep = less awake time = less shopping time = less spending. QED.
Dear Readers,
Please help me achieve the above by inspiring, praying or donating. When I have achieved my savings target, I promise to buy you a kopi. Without milk. At the local hawker center.


23 Comments:
oi cheapskate, tealight consumption has no bearing whatsoever on your grand plans!
hahahhahahahahahahha...
but seriously, im giving you advice on saving money?
Simple solution. Come to my research lab and work...
Jups,
Seriously, you are??! :p
And tealights make a difference - apparently every drop counts. I am looking for a leaking faucet somewhere ;)
Anshul,
Stop being elitist. Geeks are no better than us at saving money. Hrmph!
damn. it said "0" comments and I was jumping with joy to be the first one to post a comment.
- makes sad face -
wow, 8 teacandles a day :) someone certainly likes ambient lighthing. long live ikea and cheap candles !!!
Once Again,
8 isnt too much, is it?
*makes sad face*
2 in the living room, 4 in the bedroom and 2 in the bathroom. Too many?
Prayers girl..you are in serious need of all our prayers.I really would like to know how this money diet comes along.:D
no no no.. don't do it. Saved money is eventually spent. Back to square one again.
Moral of the story: Indulge in pampering yourself with twice the force.
Ha! Don't expect any sympathy from someone whose blog title includes the words 'unemployed' and 'scholar'. Emphasis on 'unemployed'! :D
save the money and give it to me i say!
Sigh! and here I am still in college and not working= not earning... i need advice too... if it works for u, i might just have to try it for myself :D
Any vow of poverty undertaken?
We could pretend it's a mini Diwali everyday instead of one bulk of 50-60 [multiply by 5 if living in a city that isn't windy and/or if home is big!] =)
Of course- Diwali would be cheaper than 8 tealights everyday =D =D
Or if haggling friends into expensive dinners/lunches doesn't work, try coaxing them into gifting [not for birthdays- I hope] bags of tealights :D :D
Oh, you might as well kill yourself! Of what use is such a life!
Why the sudden need for cash after 2 years of reckless spending. Anyway, if you really need cash you know whom to borrow from :P
EU,
I'd be happy if I make it last till this weekend atleast ;)
Me,
Wow, you are my new Guru!
WT,
I choose to concentrate on 'scholar'. A scholar should pursue learning, regardless of materialistic attractions. As they say, yeh sab maaya hai ;)
Zii,
Because you are my long-lost twin? :p
Sohnii,
To not have money = not spending money. To have it, and then trying to save it, is the difficult part :(
Jingu,
They say vows are meant to be broken ;)
Deepali,
Of all things, people are laughing at my tealights!
*sulks*
Cowlick,
Oh c'mon... a few days of saving, and a huge bank balance to be proud of. I thought many people live their whole lives like that ;)
Ritwik,
Plis to not confuse need for savings with need for cash. Inflow is wokay, outflow has to be controlled :p
candles??? saving money on electricity..:P
- Debo
I thought many people live their whole lives like that
Yes, and it's best if they killed themselves too
if you earn like 5000 a month even if you spend half savings should be fine!
Debo,
Candles and aircon. Could be a way!
Cowlick,
I will let them know then ;)
Anonymous,
IF ONLY I was earning 5000... if only!
Lordy lordy what happened to the Casa we knew - if she won't uphold retail therapy as the finest form of pleasure cum therapy who will?
Gee,
And that is the reputation I carry? Sad sad thing :(
Aris,
Lucky you! Grooming issues cost too much these days. Daymn it!
PS: And you are not poor. After all, you are so much like me ;)
oh how about i post you tealights every week so thats one less luxury to cut back on ;)
San,
I never say no to gifts, even if they are just tealights. Bring them on, I say :D
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home