Does every post need a title?
They said she had unwound in the time that she was away, and that anyone who needs to unwind should go off to a new place for 6 months.
An individual's behaviour is influenced very much by the situation they are in. Or so many believe. I think, a far greater influence are the people surrounding the individual. Surely, spending time by yourself, introspecting, missing the people you never thought you'd miss... all this does play a part in shaping the person you become. But more important are the new people you meet, like and be liked by. Familiarity breeds contempt and sometimes, we forget to check the extent of this contempt. We end up being rudest to the people we value the most. And no amount of foolish excuses can justify that behaviour. Poking fun at the individual has to be the worst solution to him or her being wound up. We want friends for sympathy and understanding, not for concessions. If we need to be defensive infront of our friends, if we need to constantly be on guard, if we must be careful around the people we are supposed to care for, then that friendship might not be worth the trouble.
And yet, we often go along with friendships which are long over. Either, we refuse to acknowledge that it is over, or we continue because there is too much inertia. Because to many people, a friendship doesnt die without a conflict or distance or time. How can you see a person seven days a week, remember how great friends you've been with them, and then accept that it aint so anymore? So we continue 'being friends', because we are too afraid to tell ourselves and our friends, that we dont match anymore. Deep down we might have started disliking the person more than anything else, and that surely shows in our behaviour, but we justify our behaviour by the concessions we make. You tell yourself, how much ruder you could have been to XYZ if you werent his friend. Now, you cut him so much slack. And so? The person is supposed to be jumping with joy, because his "friends" arent as rude to him as they could be? I think you should do yourself and XYZ a favour, by accepting that you'll arent friends anymore. Everyone must have that much courage in themselves, to love their friends, or distance themselves once the love is very much gone. Habit, is the worst reason to continue a friendship.
Sometimes, friendship wants to be foolish. Sometimes, friendship doesnt want objectivism. It wants a friend to be nice to you for some time, no matter what. To tolerate you at your worst. To be liked by, no matter what others think of you. Yes nobody will tolerate a pest forever, but we all have our weak moments. And to have our "friends" poke our weakness a few too many times is surely not deserved. I guess "tolerating erstwhile friends" is a curse of a group of friends. So very often, we start confusing friends and acquaintances. We hang out in packs. And we make friends with everyone else's friends and partners. And later, we start disliking these very people, but are stuck with them in the same "group". Strange situation, it is. I firmly believe in individual friendships. It is difficult to sometimes explain to others why I might not be friends with someone who is nice to me and hangs out in the same group. For me, there are some more things I need for it to be called 'friendship'. Though one thing I am capable of, is separating my individual friendships. No friend of mine is bound to like my other friends. And I dont need to like all my friend's friends. Many people boast of the same. But I've seen very few being able to do that. Somewhere in their linear equations, a few too many variables turn up, leaving it in a mess, and very much unsolvable.
I refuse to be pulled into this world of sarcasm and cynicism which some call "having fun" with friends. Let me be naive to believe in being nice to friends. Let me be emotional to be hurt by the unexpected rudeness from the people you value. Let me be brave to make it known when we are no longer friends. Because seriously, I think it is high time we grew up.


29 Comments:
Also, drinking beer with strangers isn't as much fun. :D
I think I know what you're talking about because frankly I have the same view even though I'm probably a few years younger than you...Somehow, on my blog, I always end up talking to myself...so I'm trying to aim for a new goal - to start talking to other bloggers XD. Visit me!! (By Tagboard >.<) I'm still in need of a blogskin that has a comment function. ;;>.>...
MC
Amen!
Woohoo - you just said so much of what I've been trying to say on my own blog, but didn't quite know how to phrase it!!!
"I think it is high time we grew up."
- So many times in the recent past have I thought that...
To me, friendship is about acceptance more than anything else. Hanging out doesn't qualify for a personal friendship (maybe it does for a social one!) - because in hanging out, people are mostly behaving by some protocol; and that doesn't let you truly know if you'll accept the person as they really are or not.
On an earlier note, Yes, every post needs a title.
ciao!
I agree with ya..I dun want rude 'friends' either.
Keshi.
aah yes! very true and very nicely written. Often wondered about this myself.
And also, Congratulations! just read ur 'ooo yay' post.
Wishful,
Yesyes, now that the thesis is making progress, you seem to be drinking a lot of beer :p
MC,
Interesting way to publicise one's blog...
EU,
:)
Gee,
Well, I didnt know how to phrase it to sound right either, so I just went ahead and wrote what ever was on my mind.
Anshul,
Yup, and it is strange that some people refuse to see the difference between real friendships and social contacts.
SS,
Then here's one for you: Untitled ;)
Keshi,
Defeats the entire purpose, doesnt it?
Archster,
Merci :)
And when are you running away to party in Mumbai?
Very well written!
"Because seriously, I think it is high time we grew up."
- Hell yeah!
I can't live with talking to myself...It's killing mee! Wahh...If I think about it, you're a really deep thinker...I feel so immature...If I think about that...I am immature >.<
oh no my comment didnt publish!
jups
u cant even imagine to wot extent I identify with this post of urs...its as if the things I've been thinkin and hav been goin thru...u wrote them...
Very true, though it shldnt be such a big deal if you do pull your bestest friends' legs a bit, mustnt be tht big a deal
Perspective Inc,
Thanks. And that's an interesting monicker you have there :)
MC,
But your page doesnt seem to open...
Jups,
Plis to repeat :p
DEG,
I am quite certain we all have been in this place at some point in life... except maybe the really anti-social ones.
Jhantu,
Well we all know when 'a bit' becomes 'too much', dont we? Also, its a slippery slope, isnt it?
I really like the post lah.. i said something to that effect.
Plus you managed to not be vile and uncivilised to your detractors. Same cannot be said about your detractors.
muahahaha.
There is no clear definition of friend or acquaintance. People move closer and further everyday. Let us indeed grow up and stop doing the whole katti n batti thing. It might be a good idea to stop trying to classify people into friends and acquaintances. I don’t have to tell someone that we are not close anymore as I think it shows in the attitude. I don’t get the need to classify people into categories. I think all the people I know are unique and to classify them into groups would destroy their uniqueness.
PS: I personally don't think you have unwound that much. Its just you know how to mask the judgemental side better :P
My page doesn't open!! O.O Bwaa! That can't happen! You might as well just type in - messedcorner.blogspot.com - Yup!
Familiarity breeds contempt. Right on.
Very nice post..well written too...
does friendship ever end? i wonder ...
Jups,
Same cannot be said about your detractors.
Hehehehehhee... the truth is out there, isnt it ;)
Ritwik,
Thank you. Your expert commentary has changed my life and the way I look at friendship :p
Guess what, the definition of an acquaintance is someone we know but arent particularly close friends with. So for me, it is very easy to make that distinction. I guess I shouldnt be "judged" for doing that, now, should I?
MC,
Yup, now it does.
Me,
It so does. Sigh.
Pointy,
Thanks.
Prerona,
Yes they fade away. I have seen and experienced them myself...
Yay! Hopefully I don't sound boring and stupid and...annoying...;;>.>...I'm probably annoying you right now...Sorry!! >.<
You are welcome!! Go ahead, make the distinction and don't stop me from judging coz I sure as hell don't stop you.
Oh my.
Its been said numerous times already, but I shall repeat ...
Those are words off my mind lady.
I guess most of us are that stage where we realise whats going on but too lost/disillusioned to speak it.
Its a keeper this post. Just like one of those 'Quarter Life Crisis' things going around the net.
Do you mind if I use it? (quote it or send it to ppl I know :-) )
Let me be brave to make it known when we are no longer friends.
How often I have wished for that bravery, Casa. And yes, to echo everyone else in the comments sections - very, very well done indeed. This post is really a keeper. :-)
It's odd or maybe it was meant to be.
I needed to read this post.
Maybe that makes no sense but thank you .....:)
MC,
You seem to be able to make conversation with yourself very often ;)
Ritwik,
Please, join the club :)
11-7,
I dont think this has to do with quarter-life crisis. This happens to us at all ages, doesnt it?
And go ahead and use my post, as long as you give due credit to me and my blog ;)
Extempore,
Coming from you, that is a compliment :D
Deepali,
Sometimes we need others to say what is there in our head. Helps get clarity, doesnt it :)
:-)
your titles, among other things, make me smile. just wanted to say i'm still alive!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home