Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The quick week

Firstly, thanks everyone for the compliments for my room. Deserved or not, I shall shamelessly claim them all. Muahahahaha! Secondly, just 2 minutes back, I finished my 1000 piece jigsaw. The Basilica of Notre Dame in my living room right now, and a horrible ache in my neck. Ouch! But the result looks awesome, and I cant wait to get it framed. And if you are wondering how I found the time to do this puzzle in 6 days, I will have you know that it is very very addictive. Useless amounts of sleep have been sacrificed for it. And on hindsight, that wasnt a very good decision. I am attending a training programme this week, which basically means no internet or email access for the entire day, and therefore no opportunities to take those much-needed breaks. The only saving grace is the lunch at the Pan Pacific restaurants. Yesterday was 7 course chinese, today was 5 course italian and friday will be indian food at Rang Mahal. Feel free to hate me. Also, these free lunches fall right in place with my money-saving (read: cheapskate) plans. Good lunches and tea breaks for free. No time for lunch time shopping. No expensive lattes from Starbucks. Bingo. Except that I did allow myself the luxury of a manicure yesterday. Bright red chick flick it is. Ooooo... loverly!

One of the participants at this week's training has come from Manila. A very sweet lady, she is. An MBA and a mother of a 2-year old. We did the usual introductions. I told her I've been in Singapore for close to 9 years now. She was visibly surprised. She asked me if I get lonely here... and when I answered in the negative, she seemed to be every more surprised. To her it seemed like a punishment - to be away from your family at 16 and having to take care of yourself. To me, it seems the perfect way to be. I love taking care of myself and being responsible for myself. I cant see any other way. It made me realise why I almost resent people who cant take responsibility for their own decisions and actions. Maybe I am being unfair, but I always feel that if I could start doing that 16, why cant other older and seemingly more 'mature' people around me do so too?

Yanyways, I guess we cant expect everyone to be a certain way. Or so I try to tell myself sometimes...

14 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

le puzzle rocks!

11:32 PM  
Blogger educatedunemployed said...

I guess we cant expect everyone to be a certain way. Or so I try to tell myself sometimes.....True that,so it is ok to let others be the way they are and be less judgemental of them.Not everyone has had the same experiences and hence they are different people.

On another very boring note,it is very commendable that you have thought of saving money and are trying your best to do so.It is ok to be less glamorous, however killing that might be to you, you are doing some thing very difficult.So be kind to yourself rather than calling yourself a cheapskate.

I shall end this sermon by congratulating you on your jigsaw.Pictures, once framed please.:D

12:54 AM  
Blogger the cowlick said...

If I could start doing that 16, why cant other older and seemingly more 'mature' people around me do so too?
Because it's easier to start young. The older people get, the most set they become in their ways. You're more acceptable of change when you're young. It's more difficult making friends as you get older. You become surer of yourself and what kind of life/friends/career you want, and therefore anything that doesn't fall 'just right' is not worth the effort.

9:13 AM  
Blogger San said...

aye the week has gone too fast for my liking. Puzzles can be so addictive, i ususally gift jigsaws to new home owners and end up camping at their place until I complete them :D

3:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Aristera, you ought to find someone in Europe and ask them to ship you a "ravensburger" or a "clementoni"..these are really good brands for jigsaws, they don't cost much and they've got everything from rabbits to van gogh... :)

or you could come down to singapore and we'll take you jigsaw shopping!!

4:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

cowlick, thats a very nice way of looking at it.. :)

casa sorry im spamming this space up..im bored :)

4:15 PM  
Blogger G Shrivastava said...

Jesus have never had the patience to complete a jigsaw, though I have cousins who can complete a 500 piece in a day and 1000 piece in 2 days!

7:11 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Jupiter,
It so does. Thanks for getting me the puzzle!

Aristera,
25 pieces??? But I have bought 300 piece puzzles in India too. I am sure they will have good ones... just find the right place. Or, you could come to Singapore and get some :D

EU,
People can be different and I am okay with it as long as I dont have to pick their rubbish. I mean, if their being irresponsible results in me having to take responsibility for them and of them, I am not okay with that. Everyone has to fight their own battles, methinks.

Cowlick,
Yes I appreciate that older people have more difficulty in adjusting to changes. But I am tired of taking care of some people, who should instead be taking care of me. Just because I am a responsible person, I shouldnt HAVE to take responsibility for others.
Sigh never mind... its a complicated situation out here, involving someone specific. Just a rant.

San,
Lemme know when you plan to gift one to me. I'll make camping arrangements for you as well :D :D

Jupiter,
Yes I can see you have taken over the job of replying to my commentors :P

Gee,
Yup, 500 can definitely be done in a day. And they are so goddamn addictive... I feel like doing more. Running out of walls in the house though :(

12:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

sorry lah.. I check furss to see how they like your room... cannot resist.. chin chai muss comment hor... dun myn

12:38 AM  
Blogger ~RAUL~ said...

does s'pore airport has a shop where we can get that 1000 piece odd jisaw...

or can't we simply mix three 300 piece ones and make it a 900 peice one...that'll me more interesting...

and plz plz share your money saving plans...i need them desparately!!!!

5:28 AM  
Blogger San said...

erm yeah when i come visit i'll be sure to add that with the candles .. oooh me of to ikea tomorrow to hunt those photo frames down. Found them on their website - quite cheap too! you're a doll!

1:49 AM  
Blogger Chitra said...

Isn't comparison to self is inevitable...??

9:17 PM  
Blogger aparna said...

yeah let san visit, and then me and you can both make a shopaholic out of her ;D

oh forgot she prolly already is one! ahhh... the perils of being a woman! :D

PS. did you get to wear that top??

12:30 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Jupiter,
Khei Khei ;)

Raul,
Dont think the airport will have. But where are you headed to, after your transit in Singapore?

San,
You coming here? When when??

Chitra,
I think it is, and I dont think it is too unfair either.

Aparna,
No didnt wear the black one yet. Waiting for a good excuse ;)
Did wear the cheongsam one though... and everyone said it was pretty as ever!
And lets catch up over dinner sometime this week?

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home