Stopping by the woods, on a rainy evening
It is strange... the memories that rain brings back. I distinctly remember four. The first one was when I was an enthusiastic kid at home. A kid of protective parents. A kid who had just learnt how to ride a big bicycle. A kid who didnt know about Murphy and his godforsaken laws (the smartass laws that explain everything. I have a bone to pick with him, but let us not go there now). It so happened, that on a cloudy afternoon after school, I decided to practice riding my newly acquired bicycle. The Mom warned me to stay within the 3 roads that were partly responsible for our locality address. I promised. I did not obey. So here I was, a good mile away from my lakshmanrekha, when it started pouring so hard, that nobody would dare to venture on the road. I waited. Scared. Of Mom. Scared of her being worried, and then getting angry. Scared, of the rain (c'mon, I was a kid!). And when the rains refused to give way for half an hour, I rode through the downpour, on empty roads, soaked and shivering. Needless to say, Mom didnt have many nice things to say. I also remember the issuance of no-bike rule for a good week or so. That was the rain that made my heart shiver.
Then there was this once, in Singapore, where two people sneaked out of hostel in the wee hours of morning, to walk to the beach and see the sunrise. Yes it sounds all good right now, but wait till the sun rises. Which was... never! Dawn brought with it grey clouds, thunder and rain. And as if early morning rain wasnt cold enough, add to it the sea breeze. The freezing sea breeze! Running from shelter to shelter, finally standing in a phonebooth, waiting for the rain to stop. A weird combination of cold and nervousness. Anyway. It passed. Walked back, all drenched. Changed, and slept through the day. This is a good 7 years back, yet the memory is so fresh. So soaking fresh.
Somewhere over the years, I started disliking rain. Gloomy. Inhibiting. Lazy. Those were my common complaints. I guess because I rarely had the time to be lazy during my student years. Rarely had the privilege of doing the proverbial curling-into-bed-with-a-book on a rainy afternoon. Damn those writers for putting these images in our head! But the last time I went home, I loved the rain. It was poetic and romantic. Soft clouds on mountains, good food at home, long drives with friends. That is what I call a break.
The most recent rain-induced memory is from Hong Kong. The typhoon season in September. A sunday morning, with typhoon signal #3. Waking up to the howling wind and white nothingness outside my window. Drifting into sleep again. Waking up imagining that it was all a dream. Strange, it was.
There is a certain quality about rain that makes it bearable, despite it hindering mobility. Despite it being gloomy and lazy. Despite it being unpredictable. And that is the ability to cleanse. A good downpour, and even the streets of Calcutta start looking clean to me! Yes, that clean. It refreshes. It washes away. And that, precious, we like!


22 Comments:
Oh we differ here...totally :P :P
Just love rains...infact it rained heavily last nite and I was awake for one hour just to smell and feel it....
And did the typhoon hit ? I mean you ? :D :D
oh god..i was stranded in the same place in the same way! spoookkkyyyyy..
Rain and the drops of jupiter song were just made for each other..
le sigh..
Rains... always good as long as one doesnt get wet :D
Strange how people think so much about and are afraid of rain, yet wonder why people carry umbrellas.
You conjure up an inviting imagery!
:-)
Sorry to digress here, but this site is rated PG! Damn! :D
Okay, back to normal commenting: Yes, I like the rains in summer :D
I like, make that lurrrrve the rain. Period. :)
This was a soaking wet lovely post! :)
I love the rains. And yeah, have experienced the HK storms which i love totally!
And singapore rains too. I remember sitting on one of those 2-seater cycles in Sentosa and gazing at the approaching rain over the sea... a moment back it was over the sea, at some distance and then it was over us! Loved it!! I feel like a kid when am out in the rain! :D
Nice post :)
Raul,
No, I quite like the rain now. And the smell of raindrops on fresh earth... heavenly!
And no, the typhoon severity didnt reach #8. Damn!
Jupiter,
Which place? ECP??
And yes, that song is perfect for summer, rain, any weather!
Me,
Couldnt agree more!
Anshul,
Yes one should enjoy the unpredictability of the rains. Only old people carry umbrellas :p
PS: Who said I am afraid of rain NOW? That was when I was 10!!!
Jingu,
Read the 'Strange' post for more :)
SS,
Uh huh... and what would the comment be, if it were RA? :p
Wishful,
People in Chennai dont like the summer, so they have no choice, but to like the rains ;)
Aparna,
Oh yes, typhoon season was quite fun, I thought :D
And the rains do move quickly... if not, I would never have got stuck in G Road with my bike when I was 10 :(
it's raining posts all over blogsville lately :)
lovely post
feel like sitting through a rainy night, alone on a beach, sitting there facing the water ... :)
Oh cmon rains are beautiful, I just walk slower and let myself soak whenever I get caught in a sudden downpour.
P.S. Eat this u disbeleiver
hey... came to ur blog again after a loooong time!!! read all the posts on the main page as of now...
all abt the rains, the secrets, and the rich kids...
gr8888
i love rains when the backdrops are filmy, that is, when it is clean as anything, no kichad
and did u say u were drenched, do u have some pics and all? ;) ;)
:D:D:D
rain in my head
rain on my feet
rain through the night
to a single heartbeat
almost everyone I know loves the rain. There are beautiful songs that set the mood, and almost everyone has atleast one fond/ romantic memory associated with the rain. Very refreshing post.
rain's pretty. wonder when it'll visit us. rain makes everything right. right as rain. also, claps for song. :)
there is nothing more sotothing than the rains..as long as u r at home sitting by the windows with a huge cup of coffee in your hands..
Get drenched in the rain and I go mad..
but no matter wat, nothing like the early morning rains..!!
The monsoons in india are around the corner and I cannot wait..!! :-)
can't think of anything better than morning rain...
San,
I guess coz it is after all the rainy season :)
Prerona,
Butbutbut... you will be cold and shivering. No no, one doth not see this as a good idea.
*shakes head disapprovingly*
Rohan,
Oh but you are such a wet blanket anyway :p
And what be this link. I shall go and read and then suitably comment :p
Lancelot,
Plis to keep coming. We are a bheri welcoming bunch here =)
Burf,
2 words for you - Grow up.
Inkblot,
And a pretty face
turning rain
to sunshine.
Ah well,
one can dream...
atleast, dream.
:)
M,
Romantic memories... hehehehe, I shall not say anything ;)
Bgfs,
Rain is beautiful, but a little gloomy too, isnt it? Or maybe it is just me... moody July-born that I am :)
Justme,
Yeah getting drenched isnt my idea of enjoying rains, either.
Desire,
But it isnt very conducive to waking up and being puntual for work :p
Aris,
I am buying her book of poems when I am in India next month! Must do!
The smell of the earth in the first rain, the amazing shade of green on the trees after a rain, the soft sun, the drumming of the raindrops on the roof.
Rain makes everything beautiful. The worst way to experience it is sitting at home doing nothing. Then you start hating the rain and praying for it to stop. I've done that a lot of times myself. Sometimes though, rainy memories seem the best ones.
Rain is romantic I hear, never experienced romance, never had a chance to. Maybe someday....that too...
-PeAcE
--WiTh
---GuNs
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home