Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Men of my life (or 10 cities I wont forget)

Charming you with his sweetness, active yet laidback, he flirts with you like a teenage boy. With a smile on his seemingly innocent face, yet laughing at you with his mischievous eyes, Bangkok floors you fair and square. And although you will never pine for that teenage love again, you will never forget him either.

Loud, impatient, rude and overwhelming. Calcutta is almost the bad guy. Till you realise that he has a soul. One which underlines everything else that seems disturbing about him. He will leave you shocked, no doubt. And you wont know whether to hate him or like him. Trouble is, you never can decide.

San Francisco is the good friend you could get used to. Friendly, vivacious, warm. He always has a word to say and a ear for you. A stranger you became so comfortable with, you never realised how quickly you liked him. You do consider loving him, but then you'd rather keep him as a friend you can come back to anytime.

In his colourful sarong and tanned torso, Langkawi is the fling you cant resist. He looks good, he smiles well, and he puts you at ease. From the moment you set your eyes on him, you know you will fall. And then, you will have to let go. And you do let go, taking just memories of him with you. No regrets. Just memories.

He is the man of your dreams, and you know it is not for real once you meet him. Darjeeling. He is so perfect, that you are happy that atleast you dreamt about him. An old-world charm intertwined with aristocracy and pure beauty, he is the poster on your wall. The smile on your face. The perfect-10 list in your head.

Cape Town is your charming dinner date. He knows the right weather, the right wine and the right words to keep you entertained. He might leave you a little chilly at night, but it is all worth it, just to see the peaceful sunrise with him. He has his flaws which you can see, but you cant help ignoring them, for the goodness that is the rest of him.

Smartass, cocky, arrogant. You dont like men who play hard to get. That is him, New York. You run after him, trying to get a hand on his pulse. After a long chase, the glamour and pace gives way, and you might even begin to enjoy his company. But you cant help asking yourself, is he worth the effort?

He seems harmless at first, but before you know it, Hong Kong has pulled you into his whirlwind of passion, life and purpose, and it is one hell of a roller-coaster ride. He is the love you almost had. The one you almost settled down with. But he is a wild card. A storm you cant tie down. And so, you must move on.

The sauve, yuppy and impressive gentleman. Bangalore is the man who will charm your senses, enliven you with his youth and leave you satisfied and happy. He might not have a legacy to speak of, but he will convince you that his future will compensate for it. You can risk falling for him. After all, he seems so likeable.

Sensible and mature. You sometimes wonder if those words infact mean boring and predictable. But Singapore is the guy you bring home to meet your parents and they approve of. And you think... perhaps it isnt such a bad choice. After your wild youth has become a story in your journal, you might consider settling down with him. Comfortably. Eventually. Some day.


Credits: Inspired by Queer and her cities, her men and her woman.

38 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Me first...smacks herself with a gold bar..

:P

I like the Singapore theory the best.. touched a cord...
If I made that list, Singapore would be the only point of overlap. =)

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

amazingly written :)

3:22 PM  
Blogger shakester said...

nice...nice write. I can relate to some, but not most.

Singapore seems the most apt, really.But the lingering feeling of the boring in the long run remains, and you wonder, will I, x years later, look back and say -this decision was made more with head than with heart....?

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good one!:)
Q.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Jupiter,
We shall request you to plis do your list of 10 favourite cities. Pretty plis?

Anshul,
Merci :)

Shakester,
Haha... well we always take a gamble, when we choose our men as well, dont we? ;)

Q,
Kyun? Just Q?

3:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being a singaporean, I've always liked living far away from here. Times, I loathe this place. Don't quite like it here... oh well.

I've tried keeping my hands in control; not to leave comments/compliments here... but I just can't help it this time round. Don't ask me why. I don't know why either. Been a reader since months for now.. like your blog.

Am in love with your writings. Eloquent, articulative and impressive. Simply amazing and amazingly wonderful.

Grin.

Have fun. Hope you have a nice day.

Ps: Keep blogging.

4:06 PM  
Blogger Ekta said...

wow!
awesome post!
and couldnt agree with you more on the HK and Bangalore ones...coz these are the only ones have been in...!
lovely post!

4:17 PM  
Blogger San said...

you have described them all so beautifully :)

4:21 PM  
Blogger educatedunemployed said...

Awesome the places you have been to.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

The Woman,
Why do I have this feeling that I know you personally?
And thanks for all the compliments. Very generous you are being :D

Ekta,
You havent been to Calcutta ever?

San,
Merci :)

EU,
...and hopefully the list will keep growing.

4:44 PM  
Blogger A and A said...

WOW! That was an entirely new twist on a travelogue! I loved reading it! :)

4:58 PM  
Blogger GuNs said...

:D Innovative, huh?
You've been to ALL THESE places?
How ?? What do you do?

Personification is one figure of speech I learnt in school. You've given it a whole new dimension.

-PeAcE
--WiTh
---GuNs

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well written indeed. Worth the blatant advertisement earlier :). The challenge here is to place the men on the cities.

Lets see now:
Singapore is a giveaway
Calcutta appears to fit as well..

Wait, Let me stop here, from the fear of giving away too much unknowingly..

RMOPLF
utarzca

8:16 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Wishful,
Merci monsieur :)

Guns,
Oh well, yes, I have. Some on university trips, some on vacation and some, on work. Have visited others as well, but these are the 10 that left a lasting impression on me.

RMOPLF,
Hahaha.. sometimes marketing is all for good reason you see ;)
As for finding the combinations, I guess we've already had that conversation offline. So that has been taken care of already :p

11:06 PM  
Blogger Jinguchakka said...

WOW!! A very good post.
Wish I have your imagination in thinking up of topics to write on.

11:29 PM  
Blogger M (tread softly upon) said...

Brilliantly written casa. Just loved this one.

12:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm... Trying to think of cities as men caused a lot of trauma, I must say.

3:03 AM  
Blogger Anand said...

Casa,
Must admit..one of your best blogs so far..very innovative way of
writing!
Though similar to the wife can relate to only two HK and Bangalore and loved both the descriptions!

9:53 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Jingu,
As I mentioned, this post was inspired by another blogger, so I'm really not that creative :)

M,
So happy to see you back :D
Hope you are blogging again. I shall run over to yours and check for updates now!

SS,
Haha... for your part, why dont you imagine them to be ladies, then :)

Anand,
Merci merci :)
As for identifying with only 2 of the cities, that is a problem with a simple solution. Holiday more! I am sure the wife wont mind either ;)

10:04 AM  
Blogger Michelangelo ;) said...

struck a chord as far as calcutta and darjeeling are concerned [not with the 'men' part, though!].. calcutta, specially. you never really know whether you like it or hate it :D. I wish there were more cities [men ;-)] in your life. Wait till you fall for Mumbai !

Not to degrade your blog or anything, the title [well, at least half of it] sounds like those tabloid ones promising sensational gossip. But well.. as long as it works ;-) !

oh and I love your writing :-).

7:56 PM  
Blogger Dreamy Eyed Gal said...

This was 1 of the most orginal and innovative and most importantly beeeeeautifully written posts of urs!!!
I envy u that U've been to so many places!!!...I've been to Calcutta,Darjeeling and Bangalore...and I agree with u...esp Calcutta...its soooooooooo very true!!!
Every description brought a smile to my face...And now from ur description,I know that wenever I visit the rest of the places,the image that u've created will definitely come to my mind!!!

Really,wonderful piece of work!!!!

9:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very very well written ...yaar tum itna badiya kaise likh pati ho ??? and tell me something ...where do u want to ultimately settle down ...Singpore ? Why not India ?

Anyway ..once again ...Amazing Blog *CLAP CLAP CLAP*

9:29 PM  
Blogger Point 5 said...

well I have only been to SFO & NY...I beg to differ from ur observation of NYC though..it can probably take all the attributes u heaped on SFO, and also change the like him to love him....

3:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I DO think of them as ladies. Hence, the trauma! :D

8:24 AM  
Blogger totti said...

Very creative.Nicely written. :)...In one of the songs, he compares LA to the girl who understands him. New york would be the dark one with life in her eyes.For me, NY is always number one!! If i visit mumbai, may be i will re-consider :p..

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked this innovative idea and think you carried it off rather well even if the original was Queer :)

1:15 AM  
Blogger Mr. J said...

Neat list. I could relate myself to one of the descriptions, which incidentally happens to be my dream city to live in. Hmmm interesting.

2:48 AM  
Blogger twip said...

I think Im in love with Calcutta now.
:)

3:08 AM  
Blogger bluegreenflysplat said...

oh. i got cal the person. calcutta the person. omg. :)

i'm going now, before i get mushy.

4:08 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

PPP,
Oh well, there are of course many more cities I could write about, but then 10 was good enough for a blog post :) As for Mumbai, I've been there quite a few times, but a good 10 years back. So yeah, maybe I should revisit.
PS: Smartass post titles are in these days, no? ;)

DEG,
Glad you will remember this description whenever you visit these places. And dont beat yourself up, you'll get even opportunities to visit them for sure. Just keep a lookout for those opportunities :)

Anonymous,
Thank you. As for settling down, I didnt say I wanna settle down in Singapore. As of now, I think it is too early to say. Maybe you can check with me in say, 10 years time? :)

Pointy,
Well, the descriptions are of course from a personal point of view, and may or may not be similar to what others perceive it to be. Glad that you love NYC, but I dont think I did... not yet, atleast :)

SS,
Oh well, then we cant do much, can we? Maybe you could forget this post as a bad dream?
*waves hand infront of face in a hypnotic attempt*

Totti,
Oh well, next time I head to Ummreeka, I will check out LA for sure!

Dee,
Thank you. And full credit to Queer for putting this thought in my head :)

Me,
And that city being? NYC? :)

Punkster,
Hahahaha.. have you visited Calcutta, btw?

Bgfs,
Awwww. And awwww again =)
PS: I *lurv* mush.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Garima said...

Simply amazing, Amazingly 1derful... Have just heard abt personification...felt in sm novels..but feeling it wid a new dimension here at ur blog..SUPERB!! u simply intrigues me more & more to visit these places/...Have u really been to all these places?? Lucky female!!

12:13 PM  
Blogger Mr. J said...

Is it really that obvious? Damn

2:56 PM  
Blogger G Shrivastava said...

Thats what I call a semi anti-climax, having started to read the post just after reading half the title (the part bt the men, not the citiess!) ;-) LOL! Well written babe!

Incidentally, it's interesting that you've classified the cities as male. In french, la ville (the city) is feminine...so yes, Aristera in certain languages they do have genders!

1:24 AM  
Blogger Deets said...

Great writing...made the cities come alive for me.

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely, this post has managed to bring a smile on my face in times when little else does. :)

./w

12:30 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Garima,
Yes I have been to all of these places, and I do sincerely feel that way about each of them. Just like people, we like or love or hate cities, dont we? :)

Me,
Hahaha... yes it is :D

Aristera,
As Gee says, some cities or countries are feminine, but I am not into those things. So I restricted to male references for all of them ;)

Gee,
Yup I thought about the genders too before writing it. But then I decided to see them through my eyes, and judge them as I judge men. Uh huh ;)

Deets,
Thanks :)

W,
Now THAT is a big compliment *blushes*

1:48 PM  
Blogger ligne said...

@casa: can't say I agree with the potrayal of the characters..but I love your sketch.. :)

3:32 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Ligne,
Oh well, they are but personal opinions, I am sure many will disagree with my POV :)

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home