Tuesday, May 16, 2006

"Why always write so sad?"

Welcome to the life of a clinically depressed blogger.
Mine.
And yours.
And yours too.
And you there, hiding behind the monitor? Yours as well.
Yes, if you have ever written a "sad" post, in an attempt to pour out your sorrow or frustration, to use your blog as a vent, to write meloncholic poetry or to simply rant about things you cant rant about in real life, you will stand alongside the accused. Because you, naive depressed blogger, have wrapped your wet blanket of sadness around all your blog readers, and you have no right to do so. You have no right to trouble your readers with your problems. They have their own troubles, you know? They come to your blog for entertainment. You are supposed to keep them happy.

Or so some people think!

Every once in a while, I get an email asking me why I am always so sad. Telling me that I ought to be a more "happy person" on my blog.
Great!
Dont get me wrong... I do know the difference between the mails and comments that ask me to "cheer up" or give me a reason to smile. To cheer me up when I am feeling down, is quite different from insisting that I always write "happy" blog posts. And apparently, I'm not the only one who gets such "be happy or else" instructions from her readers. Bah! What about blogging screams that you are doing it for the sake of others?? Heck, I'm not even making money through adverts on my blog from this dimwits who visit (maybe I should start!). A blog is for me, or for any blogger, to write what he or she wills. To vent. To pour. To ramble. Nobody should try to dictate what a person blogs.
No post of mine comes with a smile-or-money-back guarantee.

Sorry darling, we dont do circus shows here. Please go elsewhere for "happy entertainment".

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very true; a blog represents your thoughts and state of mind. If you are sad and depressed most of the times, why should you make your blog happy?

5:29 PM  
Blogger educatedunemployed said...

I second you completely!

5:35 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Ritwik,
Infact that will be another post of mine - on whether a blog represents you wholly. Many times, people use a blog to allow that facet of their personality to come out in the open, which they cant show in real life. So even if a person isnt depressed at all times, he or she might use his blog to get all negativity out of the way, so it doesnt bother their real life.

EU,
I guess many of us have been pressured into "being happy" on our blogs at some time or another.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

oh no no.. you shouldn't whine in real life, you shouldn't whine on your blog..

if you're really frustrated, you should kill yourself so noone needs to deal with your sorry problems.

whateva!

5:58 PM  
Blogger Prerona said...

hey! always enjoyed ur blog. dunno if i agree with the use of the adjective sad in this case. i think u write v nicely. keep writing :)

7:27 PM  
Blogger burf said...

i suggest u upload a song which has all kinds of screaming, crying and lamenting and evrything such

will create the background u know ;)

u might even get a web tragedy queen award :D

8:31 PM  
Blogger A and A said...

Whoever mailed you has no idea what a melancholy blog is like. Send him to mine I say! :D LOL!

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey...how do u insert music??

11:58 PM  
Blogger G Shrivastava said...

1. But you write such happy posts!
2. People who tell you what to put up on your blog, must be nicely shown the relevant finger and then shown the way to the trashbox!

1:28 AM  
Blogger Mr. J said...

Haha, lol.. Neat post. I drink to this on a sad note.

2:26 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Jupiter,
To hell with being politically correct on my blog. If people cant live with it, too bad, I say.

Wanderer,
Merci :)
I guess real life has its ups and downs, so that will definitely get reflected on a blog, isnt it?

Prerona,
Oh well, some people seem to interpret 'introspection' as 'sad'.

Burf,
Send me the award first, then I'll consider changing the song :p

Wishful,
Yup, I will send him over to yours. If he commits suicide after that, you are to blame for it =)

Anonymous,
Please see my reply to your comment in the previous post!

Gee,
Trashbox it was!
*dusts hands after clearing the garbage*

Me,
You are sad too? Tsk tsk ;)

10:06 AM  
Blogger Jinguchakka said...

:-)
I too write of melancholy.

11:19 AM  
Blogger burf said...

i said "u might"

im sure u do get happy sometimes, say once in 2 years kinds so maybe there are people who might succeed even u :p

:D

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh, I'd go out of business in a day if asked to write happy poetry :)

./w

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha

umm well yeah. i've not recieved emails but a comment or two a while back which told me to write 'happy' posts.

Considering how 'depressed' [ i think it's called observations and reality not to be confused with being cynical] I am from my blog, I'd be bankrupt if I were to ever write for a living, assuming that can ever happen.

But cmon Casa dahling, the concerned readers got a 'happy' post out of this afterall =D I'd say they succeeded =P

12:50 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Jingu,
You will be shot down too. Soon enough ;)

Burf,
Wateva :p

W,
Hahaha.. I am sure. Maybe I'll send some creeps to your blog. They might kill themselves after that, you know ;)

Dee,
Yup, I'm not the only one who gets these instructions! I knew it :D
And this sounds like a happy post? Damn!

1:46 PM  
Blogger Dreamy Eyed Gal said...

EXXXXXXACTLY!!!!

3:20 PM  
Blogger San said...

oh i totally feel what you're saying :(

but this post did make me chuckle so :)

5:38 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

DEG,
I knew I wasnt the only one ;)

San,
Oh well. There's always humour in misery, you know ;)

5:56 PM  
Blogger twip said...

oh casa!

*HUG*

I am so goddamn HAPPY that you wrote this post!

As a brilliant observer by the name of WW once said, since we are women....we are 'expected' to write happy posts ya' know?

It does not befit us...delicate female species that we are...to write sad posts.

please excuse me while I commit the extremely 'sad' act of barfing.

:D

2:27 PM  
Blogger Shashi Iyer said...

u might also be very happy to articulate your feelings... not many ppl can do that. you do that, and i think u do that well :)

3:07 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Punkster,
Hehe.. maybe you could send WW to my this post, and if he still doesnt get it, ask him to kill himself. He might be born with some sense in his next life ;)

RBT,
Yes, being able to express oneself correctly, surely makes one happy. And thanks for the compliments, my modesty doesnt get in the way, so I'll take them all =)

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home