Strange
It beats on my window, beckons me to wake up. It is as much of an attention seeker, as you or me. With great effort, I half-open my eyes, as if there were weights pulling my eyelids down. I climb out of bed and walk to the window, to acknowledge the grey rain. Beaming in this new found glory, it starts pouring down even more ferociously. I wonder.. its not really grey, is it? How can it be? Water is transparent. It is colourless. Yet this rain has both form and colour. And it has company. The wind howls like an abandoned child. It does not compete for attention. It collaborates. It dances, along with the rain, in random movements and random directions. Nothing beyond a few meters is visible. The shapeless and the formless have together blocked out the world from my eyes. And suddenly, I think of you. And think of a million other things. I leave my window and sit on my bed. Thoughts inside my head are going all over the place, much like the wind outside my window. And then it settles down, again, on you. Its strange. The rain did not bring back any memories. Infact, I have no memories of you and the rain. Yet, it reminded me of you. I miss the silences which make up most of our conversations. I miss the pauses. I miss...
Intoxicated by my thoughts, I am put to bed by the disturbing lullaby of the wind outside. Things being to fade... I start wondering if the morning was a dream. I remember just one thing from it: how badly I miss the sunshine.
The brightness almost blinded me. The warmth almost cooked me. I open one eye, to slowly take in the sunlight. Like a child, it smiles. Like an adult, who wishes to humour the child, I smile back. The rain is forgotten, like a lost love. No mention, no sign. I walk to the window again, and everything outside is bathed in sunshine. Its like an old city, washed hurriedly in patches, and now put out to dry. Its like a badly done cleaning job. But the sun shines. And I step out to drink in this light, for which I was so thirsty yesterday. Its hot. It burns my skin and reaches my bones. My bare feet carry me back inside in a hurry, as if I was walking on burning coals, in some religious act that I lost faith in right after my first step. Once inside, I close my eyes, hoping for sleep, but once again, I see your face. Strange, I have no memories of you and the sunshine. But I remember you. Its all a blur after that, and I remember just one thing from it: how badly I miss the rain.


15 Comments:
i DESPISE the rain from the deepest pits of my heart...
Great imagery in this post. I like the way you have captured the little moments in this piece.
Very well written.. I miss the rain terribly in Australia.. it's always pitter pattering.. a drizzle here, a drizzle there, never the pouring till its heart is empty like it does in India.
Well speaking from Mumbai point of view I think I am sick of the rain by now. Yes its a relief now and then but mostly after the floods it became a pain. NOw it has stopped but the aftermath is too much to bear!
The only thing that annoys one about the rain is the effect it has on the infrastructure and services and not the rain itself. I actually prefer grey skies...
talkin about rain in mumbai. i went on leave after 3 years and thats when the stupid floods hit... ive detested the rains even more since then
wish i had taken my kite board with me. would have been some awesome surfage...
I like rain and dark skies as it reminds us that life isn't only about sunshine. I like sunshine but too much of anything is bad. So let it rain....let it rain
-Ritwik
Jupiter, .:A:., Cowlick - Thanks.
Clint - Looks like you chose the wrong time to go. Or did it just pour to ward you off, eh? ;)
Saurabh - I usually dont like rains for the same reason - impairs mobility. But sometimes, when you are pretty jobless, it can be quite relaxing.
(Infact, posted about this last month)
Ritwik - Not sure I understand your logic there.. but well, enjoy the 'dark side'.
Well written. Flowery! Nice, anyway.
I love the rains. I believe it rains... pours in Qatar in the winters!
Conman,
I thought you said it hasnt rained in Qatar for years, right?
Well... i said wrong. Last year it did rain... and in fact last October, I hear, there was hail to such an extent that it is still referred to as "just short of a snowfall in this desert".
the crappy thing is that qatar doesnt have a drainage system. and mostly in the older parts of the city. so when it rains even for 10 minutes it looks like a flood. eventually the water just evaporates.
whats even worse is that qatar's roads and its car tires are designed for dry climate. so when it rains or even drizzles, its like drivin on ice... hence more accidents.
I HATE THE RAIN!!!
beautiful post
beautifully expressed :) life is a delicate balance indeed
An unexpected post from a usually predictable person :-)
Nice....Could not have written it better myself.
Avyakt,
Not sure if you are complimenting me or yourself.. but thanks anyway :)
Predictable? On my blog? I dont think so... ;)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home