Rich kid
Ever so often, people criticise you. Some do it out of concern. Some do it out of habit. Some do it to pull your leg. Some do it to present an opposing point of view. And some, out of sheer spite. Nobody likes criticism. Neither do I. But we all learn, as mature adults, to digest it. To handle it. ("To learn from it" sounds utterly preachy and totally patronising, so for now we will skip it). You rarely learn from criticism, unless it comes from someone close. But you try to not let it bother you.
Yet every once in a while, an accusation seems a tad unfair. Like when you are told, that you show off your (pretty much non-existent) wealth too much. You want to say "What crap!" but instead pretend to understand. And pretend to 'dig deep' and figure out what prompted such a remark. You are told that you show off very subtly... in mentioning the shopping you spend on, the love for designerwear, the expensive holidays, the numerous shoes. Uh huh. Umm okay. You must be politically correct. Hmmm, point taken, you say. So just to get it off your mind, you go and blog about it. Because on your blog, you couldnt care a damn about being politically correct. Heck, it is for you to vent out your opinions, regardless of what and who they concern.
A lot of people around me always discuss and compare wealth. No dont get me wrong. I do to. But I have always believed (or tried to believe) in 2 things - firstly, unless you are Bill Gates, someone will *always* earn more than you. I doubt the comparison helps, except in making you feel smaller and poorer. Secondly, the way to be richer is by earning more, and not just saving more. So I will not pinch pennies. And I will not make hefty investments and cut back on spending today. Because somehow, whenever I want to spend on something or someone important, money makes itself available. Forgive my naivete here, but sometimes I like to subscribe to the belief that if you want something badly, you'll get it.
I wasnt born with a silver spoon. It has been 8 years since I left home, and for 6 of those years, I've not been financially dependent on my parents. I've pinched pennies when I needed to. I've been too proud to ask my parents for money. I've had biscuits for dinner. I've carried 6-months' worth of detergent from India because it was cheaper. I had promised myself that one day the perseverance will pay off. No, I aint glorifying myself. There are many who do so. And many who do much more. In comparison, I had quite a decent lifestyle. But my point is, I promised myself that once I start earning, I will pamper myself and my family. So if you think I have never had to work hard to deserve a 3000 dollar holiday or a 100 dollar pair of shoes, think again. If you think I talk about it to show off, think again. If you think I always pamper myself silly, think again.
We've all fought our battles, some of us chose to shout about it, and some of us dont.


21 Comments:
that's true. u shud never apologise for how u live. not if U are fine with it. maybe its de other person who has a 'poor' complex... maybe that's the one who shud be saving more.. or trying for a new job.
Pardon my language, but fuck being politically correct. At the end of the day if you can look in the mirror without cringing or flinching, it's all good.
I like to subscribe to the belief that if you want something badly, you'll get it.
Completely agree with this. In my world, we say, "Your focus determines your reality."
Hhhhmmm. And everyday someone at work HAS to say, 'Ohh you taking a cab, must be earning pretty big'
I just answer with a Yeh, coz I can afford to, need a lift?
I second the creepy hand blogger.Tee hee I love his new name.Like you said, we have all fought our battles..what is important is that you know what you have done and how you did it, and inpsite of all that has happened that you are comfortable in your skin.Nothing else matters neither does another person's opinion..who ever that may be.
LH,
Or maybe, not everyone is going to live life on the same terms. Some choose to live in today, some choose to enjoy the fact that they have saved enough for tomorrrow.
Wishful,
Yes, I guess what is important at the end of the day is that one knows where one stands. And one is at peace with that.
Anshul,
Yup, and to add to that, another of your pearls of wisdom - the universe tends to unfold as it should :)
Me,
Oh, dont even get me started on people at work judging me bcoz I eat well and drink Starbucks lattes! To hell with it all, I say.
EU,
I guess some people assume your battles werent big enough, simply because you didnt make a big deal about it.
hey that is so very true!!!...and the 1st para...yest I had the same things goin thru my head...its kinda MY thoughts in that part!!!
Hmmm ...
I may be a bit slow, but this post completely defeated me. And the best thing I can say is Hmmm (echoes prerona... and continues head scratching, damn now the scalps's strting to bleed)
>>the way to be richer is by earning more, and not just saving more
I agree 101%. Rather I would add... to earn more you, at times, need to spend more.
O Dear! Who is praying for his life now?
Was told in school never to take pangas with elephants... they remember? Yeah... bad joke... me will run off now!
DEG,
Et tu? Interesting.
Prerona, MJNH,
Hmmmmm.
Pradyot,
Yup, I agree.
SS,
Hahaha... not out to stomp out, err, kill, anybody. I am a peace-loving creature you know :p
And yes, reallllly bad joke there :p
I have to watch what I say around you now! How about the next post on how blogging has affected ppl arnd u. Does it make ppl near u apprehensive of saying stuff since it might appear on ur blog or are they the same, carefree as earlier.
Yes you have earned your right to spend but they (ur friends) have earned a right to tease u about it. If you don't maybe you are not so close to them and should let them know (in person).
I-dont-know-who,
No, my friends (or anyone for that matter) dont need to watch what they have to say. And me blogging about stuff should not affect my interactions with them in real life. Maybe they ought to treat this as my alter ego speaking, and for most part, take for real, what I tell them in person. But if someone finds it difficult to seperate the two sides to me, I think they should stop reading my blog, and interact with just the 'real' me. Simplify life.
So which lottery did u win ....just kidding
The whole talk of I am a different person on blogworld and different person is life is not true especially since most of your interactions are being blogged and discussed to no ends. This is not fiction but infact things that did happen to you. The person writing this blog and the person I meet now & then, are the same and cannot be separated. The weirdest thing is to know that every thing I say can and will be used in the court of casablanca.
first off, I can't bring myself to scrimp on today for tomorrow either. Not yeat, at any rate.
so much of this is subjective though. It depends on where you are coming from, and there might be some amount of sensitivity one needs to realise that what might be well deserved for one, might still be 'rich' or 'extravagant' for someone else.
If people begrudge me my wealth (ha ha!) or my ability to spend, thats petty. But if they, for whatever reasons, view me as better off than them, well....that might be fair.
Of course, since I dont know what has really been said to you I can't be sure anything I am saying here is relevant but what the heck!
Hey !
That was extremely well written. I agree with you totally. I pinched pennies till I started earning. I absolutely HATED to waste any of my father's hard earned money. I knew my father was paying for my expensive college education. I never gave anyone a birthday party. The first one I gave was last year, when I was earning. My clothes and shoes lasted twice as long as anyone else even though I let an ultra-rough outdoor life...God knows how. I never bought anything that was branded (except cloth lengths that I bought from Raymond sometimes). I always bought stuff that didnt have labels coz I hated duplicates just as much as I hated people with duplicate personalities i.e. hypocrites.
Now that I am earning, I am spending like anything. I hardly have any bank balance now. I know people tell me I should be saving up but hey, I am just 22 (almost 23) and its only a year that I've started earning. I wanna have all the fun that I missed in college. I want to know what its like to have a good time. For a while, I dont want to care about money and care about how much I spend. If someone doesnt like it, let them turn away !
-PeAcE
--WiTh
---GuNs
Pointy,
*starts humming... If I was a rich girl, lalalalala la*
I know who,
Point taken. As the same time, I really hope you wouldnt take this blog so seriously. It aint the "court of casablanca". You give me far too much importance there :)
Shakester,
Yes knowing you are better off than someone else, financially, is usually not a problem. Being continuously accused of showing it off, is quite another thing.
Guns,
Yup, we've all had our times. And now that we can spend a little, let us enjoy it. Cheers to that.
Aris,
Haha... I'm not surprised that you could identify with this. You seem to be one of those with a taste for finer things in life. And finer things dont come cheap :)
Abso...
Cheers !
I agree, I'm rich and I don't go around showing off, it's just good to know inside that I have all the security I need, and it's bad carma to show off all you have.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home