Friday, November 25, 2005

Whine and Dine

So here's the deal. I have lost some weight. Now ordinarily, that would be a cause for celebration. However, it irritates the hell out of me that I lost weight without wanting to, because I spent more than a few thousand bucks last month buying clothes with the perfect fit! And now, as the perfect fit transforms into a rather imperfect fit, it sends me into fits!

Yes go ahead... say it. Girls are so confused, they dont know what they want... yadda yadda yadda. Bah!

Now the important question... how did I lose weight? By attending free lunches where less than one-tenth of the food was palatable. Yes, I said free lunches. Again, something which should excite me, but given that its food I just dont like, I really dont want my colleagues to take me for any more lunches. Stop. Please.

Of course, some of you are going to suggest that I honestly tell my colleagues that I dont particularly dig the expensive but horrible food they force feed me, and go on my own healthy lunches. Obviously, you've never been in this part of the world, or been a guest to the chinese, and have no idea how important the concept of 'giving face' is to them. So seriously, that option is out, unless I want to be the most disliked person in my office. I really cant refuse these lunch invitations! Understood?

So I go for the lunches... and I smile... and I make silly excuses and eat as little as possible.

"Oh, I am really full. I had a very heavy McDonalds breakfast today. Can I just take half?"
(Read: I am sooo hungry because I havent eaten anything since lunch yesterday! Can we go eat some real food instead?????)

"Oh, is it tuesday today? Sorry, hindus dont eat meat on tuesdays."
(Read: I honestly dont understand why you call squids and eels, food. Forget tuesday, I wouldnt eat it on any freakin' day of my life!)

"I am on a diet, so my appetite is shrinking. I'll have just 3 spoons of rice, thank you"
(Read: I could actually eat a horse right now. But given that you cook and eat every moving thing, dont take that literally. I really, would NOT, eat a horse!)

"I believe in a healthy lifestyle, so I eat heavy breakfasts and dinners, and light lunches"
(Read: I also eat a million unhealthy snacks a day from Starbucks downstairs, because your silly lunches leave me so goddamn hungry!)

"Oh, I ate dim-sums for dinner last night with my friends. You want to try italian today?"
(Read: Never in this lifetime, will my friends or me, voluntarily eat dim-sums for dinner. And never in this lifetime, will you agree to italian food. But I can still try, cant I?)

"Oh, I ate 3 pieces of that already, when you werent looking. What? There's still some left? Must be a mistake... they must have served extra."
(Read: Can you go to the restroom for a couple of minutes? Or go take a walk outside? I promise all the food will be gone by then. All of it!)

Phew! Any better suggestions?


Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get my post-lunch coffee from Starbucks and steal a snack while I'm there. My tummy groans...

51 Comments:

Blogger M said...

Wahan par you are losing weight, and yahan i am putting on weight.

And continue with your ranting..too bad you really cant do much about it..maybe you can hog on some chocolates and gain that lost weight back! ;)

3:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like dimsums, I like crabs, I like lobster,I like Italian, I like Starbucks,I even tolerate cold pizza.

THATS why you're the one losing weight.

p.s. I also cribbed abt food today.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Eleventy Seven said...

Food does seem to be the flavour of the day.

Well all I can say is no food like home food! Why dont you go home? Where's home again?

3:15 PM  
Blogger Eleventy Seven said...

and whats dimsums?

3:17 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Medha,
Sad as it might sound... I dont particularly like chocolates :(
And in any case, they can never compare to a good, filling lunch. Sob sob sob....

Juice,
Creepy man! We are blogging about the same things these days... except you never blog about your lovely housemate ;)

Saurabh,
Yes yes yes. Rub it in!
We know you are at home, eating away to glory! Arrrggghhhh!
Dimsum = chinese dumplings

3:19 PM  
Blogger Arroclint said...

weight loss is weight loss mate: doesnt matter how u loose it, well not unless ure sick or something. plus im guessing ure the envy of most of the women...

3:45 PM  
Blogger Ar Ar Ar Arrrrr said...

The more you hop..more quickly you'll lose weight.

Now it totally depends on you...how you gonna hop...

Blog hop or real HOP HOP

Ball is in your court Casa ;)

Have a nice weekend ahead.
Dont hop much :D

3:46 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Clint,
Weight loss is hardly my concern right now... I want food! Good food!!! Foooooood :(

Arz000n,
Hehe... hopped over to yours and I think the blog-o-scope is so damn cool! We likey! Cancerians rock!

3:55 PM  
Blogger Ar Ar Ar Arrrrr said...

Me LEO!!

Grrooowwwwllllllllll!!

:)

3:56 PM  
Blogger burf said...

damn!!!

some ppl are just waiting and getting nothing even while offering most exotic shahi paneer and butter nan while those chinki pinkis are getting all the delight offering yukkie eeekkiie eels :(

;) :p

:D:D

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like all kinds of food be it chinese, malay, italian, indian or japanese. What I can't have is the same thing everday and this includes exotic indian food.

Btw, you should try squid and lobsters. They are quite delicious.

5:56 PM  
Blogger Eleventy Seven said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:00 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

Haha I can understand.. I can never eat food I don't like..

7:55 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

and never mind the dress, you never know when you regain ur weight again...
I keep two sets of dress hahaha

7:56 PM  
Blogger Shashi Iyer said...

*giggling*... great post!

ps: u at least get food! people serve other things at the mess here :/

8:12 PM  
Blogger Dreamcatcher said...

That is a pretty bad predicament.But it sucks when you've just brought clothes and discover you cant fit into them. Very cruel.linked you btw.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Burf,
Glad to know my identity is worth such good food ;)

Hiren,
Boiled vegetables hardly sounds inviting :(

Exhaustpipe,
Ah, I was wondering how come nobody gave me the wise 'try-it-its-nice'. But trust me, I tried... and I didnt like it.
I'm fussy... yeah, watever :p

Anthony,
Two sets of clothes wont help! I want to wear the new ones that I just bought :(

Shashi,
Trust me, I'd take mess food anyday over this.

DC,
Yup, shopping and its related woes... sigh.

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

eat chocos..u will gain all those lost wt!!

11:34 PM  
Blogger burf said...

and u see the faint light at the end of the tunnel [yipp yipp] :D

11:45 PM  
Blogger Rohan Kumar said...

On behalf of all the guys of the world I would like to reiterate that we still cant beleive that you wrote a rant filled post about free lunches that too in a world where they say there r no 'free lunches'

12:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Now i understood what "cruel kindness" means!

Enjoyed your post!

12:39 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Godolphin,
Please see my reply to Medha above on that.

Burf,
You never give up, do you?

Rohan,
Yes! When you will be subjected to this food, you'll scream too :p

Randomthoughts,
"Cruel kindness"... I like that term. Totally apt!

1:15 AM  
Blogger G Shrivastava said...

Eels & Squids? Jesus you have my sympathies...though I quite like dimsums as appetisers!

Your current dilemma used to be something I was familiar with in the days I had a non-existent appetite and lost kilos within a couple of days - now suddenly the wieghing machine is tipping the scales and all my well-fitting trousers are a tight squeeze! Grumpf...

1:19 AM  
Blogger Blue Athena said...

Nice post. Had me smiling all the way! Though I reallly reallly symthathize with you! eel? eewww!

Eat something palatable gurl! :)

ps: And the clothes bit? :(((

2:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

squids...YUCK

2:22 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Gee,
Oh trust me, I've been there too! But as of now, I'd like my weight to stay where it is...

Athena,
Eels.. the thought itself makes me wanna puke!

Anonymous,
Yuck is the word!

2:31 AM  
Blogger Virdi said...

small story with a friend of mine who is some 42 years old.. he is gupta ji...

Virdi: gupta ji aap bahut mote ho gaye ho..
Guptaji: Arre Virdi weight control karke kya hoga?? Hum log koi Shahrukh Khan thodi hi hain..

Virdi: Guptaji aapke saab baal gir rahe hain..
Guptaji: arre Virdi baalon ke bare mein sooch sooch ke kya hoga? hum log koi Amitabh Bachchan thodi hi hain..

Virdi:sahi kaha aapne...
Guptaji: Sahi kehne se kya hoga? hum koi Kaun Banega Crorepati thodi hi khel rahe hain..

Gupta Ji you rock!!!

V..

3:52 AM  
Blogger Big Man said...

a couple of meals at Mickey D's should solve the new dress issue.

However, not all weight loss is good. Just dont tell me you've ended up looking like calista flockhart or celine dion...

btw am totally on board with the eels and squid thing. Felt the same when I was offered 'cow tongue' sandwich. Am open to new things but lets not go there!

6:13 AM  
Blogger the cowlick said...

I'm sorry to disagree.. I loved the food at least in Shanghai.. but that could be because I'm one of those who eats anything that moves, isn't green and doesn't grow in a field.

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally hear ya. I lose weight at the drop of a hat. I am always in the process of gaining more..and what about the clothes? *frustrated thinking about clothes either being a tad too tight or a tad loose* :-)) Oh, and I totally cannot eat squids and eels or even lobsters or crabs. I'd be going hungry during those meals just like you.

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Virdi, that was sooo funny, hahahaha :-))

11:10 AM  
Blogger Princessse said...

I'm your 12,000th HIT!!! muhahahahahahahh :p

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

too bad....
Having Icecreams for lunch and dinner does wonders to the waistline lol try that

3:14 PM  
Blogger Once the Conman said...

Man... this is hillarious.

3:16 PM  
Blogger livinghigh said...

heheh3... squid, eh? they serve it at some seafood joints in bbay as well, though have never been brave enough. tried calamari, but it tasted like rubber bands!

congrats on de sexy new figure! ;-)

3:26 PM  
Blogger Anshul said...

Simplest thing to say, "I've turned vegetarian." They won't know what to do with you

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol.. damn funny

i could never understand how these chinese people are able to eat alomst everything, from frogs to snakes.. eek

me happy wid chicken..

glad to no ur a cancerian too..
i find very few of them over here

5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FOOD is such an issue here. So muh for me since i am a vegetarian. Gosh hate it....

what's the song that's playing in the background. It's nice and i don't think i've heard it before..

Cheers :-)

6:33 PM  
Blogger bluegreenflysplat said...

I IS LEO TOO...

ok, you're eating now aren't you? so you'll fit right back in... hahaahahaahahahaahaa.

i'm in LAHORE right now. do you know whats happening to me??? lahories, they want to have a good time, they go out to eat. they want to have a party, they go out to eat. they want to meet up with someone, they go out TO EAT!!!!

and the bastards are so hot!!!! what's up with that!!!

6:36 PM  
Blogger burf said...

:D

should i? :D

:D


which song is this?

10:37 PM  
Blogger karuna said...

Well atleast the clothes didn't stop fitting because you put on weight!
I mean its easy to put on you will eventually if u wanu and then the world will be a happy place again, just indulge in chocolate, cakes, icee creaaamm... desert basically you get it.

1:00 AM  
Blogger Susu said...

hee hee.. people have problems with free lunches also.Next time, think of all the people in somalia.Or may be not :p

i deleted the comment because it was out of place.It was something about the song on your site and i realised i was playing it from somewhere else :p

totti

1:28 PM  
Blogger Virdi said...

yadoon mein tu...

ufff!!! please don't put these senti senti songs...

hey do you like the song from Waisa Bhi Hota Hai??? Allah Ke Bande... awesome song yaar...

V..

8:03 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Virdi,
LOL! That really was hilarious!
Three cheers for Gupta Ji!

Big Man,
'Cow tongue' sandwich! Great.. now you just spoilt my appetite for dinner :(

Cowlick,
Good on you, mate! Which I was so adventurous about food :(

Harshi,
Thanks for company!

Princesse,
*hugs*
Who better than you to be the 12000th hit! Yippee :D

Anthony,
Ice creams are hardly filling... I want food! Real food!

9:59 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Conman,
STOP laughing at my plight :p

LivingHigh,
Thanks... but didnt really lose that much :p
Calamari, I thought, was still more edible.

Anshul,
Vegetarian here includes fish and seafood!! Sigh :(

Sonu,
Chicken isnt too safe either right now, given the bird flu in China :(
Cancerians rock, though :D

Vidya,
"Here" being where?
Song is by a Pakistani group, Kaavish.

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dont worry you just have to increase your visits to starbucks to fit right back into those threads !!

10:08 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Bgfs,
Haha... but I am sure food in Lahore is any day better than the stuff I'm having to tolerate!
Try their famous biryani for sure though :)

Burf,
Yes, you should ;)
Song is by Pak group, Kaavish.

Karuna,
Not a big fan of chocolates... and no, didnt really lose that much weight to whine about! Ranting more about my fussy food habits :)

Totti,
You hacked his account!!! Hahahaha, payback time for Susu eh ;)
Oh, so what song was playing somewhere else?

Virdi,
Will look up that song for sure!

Rusty,
Hehe... yes, Starbucks is such a saviour!

10:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hope u had some great food over the weekend.. lol

2:30 AM  
Blogger Keshi said...

it's funny that u lose weight when u dun wanna and gain weight when u dun wanna too...lol...I'm with ya Casa :)


Talkin abt food, mmmmm I feel hungry now...betta get some lunch..hehe..

Keshi.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Anthony,
Umm... the food over the weekend... hmmm, the less said the better :(

Keshi,
Yes I swear, the body always reacts opposite to what you wish! Maybe we should start thinking in reverse?

11:23 AM  
Blogger Keshi said...

maybe we should...:)

~~I wanna gain weight u know

LOL!

Keshi.

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home