Friday, November 18, 2005

I remember

History became legend. Legend became myth.

Yes, its part of Galadriel's introduction to The Fellowship of the Ring, and one of my many favourite parts in the trilogy. But have you ever felt, that the turn of events could be in the reverse direction? That myth slowly becomes legend, and legend becomes history?

A lot of people have childhood memories of their school entrance test, or first day in school, or first birthday in kindergarten. I for one, cant remember any of it! I think my first childhood recollections are only from class 2 onwards. Yet I have heard nursery stories of me from my parents and siblings, and slowly, the more I hear these, the more they start forming part of my own 'memories'. Like how my sisters couldnt stop laughing about my first school fight. Like how my mom freaked out when I came home from school with a bleeding knee I wasnt even aware of. Like the time when I tore someone's book because she tore the cover on mine (yes I wasnt a very peaceful child... but more on that later some time). But these are not events I remember on my own, yet the stories paint such a vivid picture, that the lines between my own memories and those of others gets blurred. And I have no way of telling fact from fiction.

Myth became legend, and legends became history... and in some ways, we start making our memories out of what we hear.

Another thing that totally puzzles me is how every guy I know has had a crush on their class 1 or class 2 teacher! I mean... seriously? Or is it just something you would want us to believe? Maybe its something you would like to believe. Or maybe you just have an elephant's memory. Good on you. I must be one forgetful person then... remind me to blog about that some day.

Anyway, to complete the circle, the post started with Lord of the Rings, and shall end on it as well. I was wondering what character I would like to be, if I were in the story. My favourite character is no doubt Aragorn, but I think if I were a man, I'd be the more human Boromir. So much for wishful thinking. Naaa... I'd be Arwen, for obvious reasons ;)
And you?


PS: If you are one of those who couldnt care less about LOTR and the great sacrifices for Middle Earth, feel free to ignore the last paragraph ;)

38 Comments:

Blogger Extempore said...

Memory, sweets, is a funny thing - you usually remember only what you want to! Pick up Oliver Sacks' The Man who Mistook His Wife for a Hat - I have a feeling you'll love it!

LOTR is the one book I have not stopped reading since I first picked it up five years ago. Unquestionably, undeniably and decidedly Gandalf is the man. I nearly didn't go on reading when he fell in Moria. :-)

12:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I would be Sauron. And I would make everyone miserable.

see? I have big eyes too.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Dreamcatcher said...

Yes, sometimes we remember only what we want to or we could be mixing them up with memory traces from stories other people have told us.
And its too tough deciding who i want to be in LOTR ;-(

1:34 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Extempore,
Ummm... I guess its not just about remembering what we want. I mean I'd sure like to remember who I beat up on my first fight ;)
Will look up the book surely, thanks!
But but... Gandalf the Grey, or Gandalf the White? :)

Jupiter,
I thought with your long hair, you could be Saruman ;)

DC,
C'mon, be a sport... pick up one. Please? :)

1:51 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

I think Memory is very selective...it picks what it wants to keep :)

Keshi.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Extempore said...

Both - because they really are one guy - esp the way it is in the book. :)

2:36 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Keshi,
Is it the same for childhood memories?

Extempore,
Yes, but in the movie atleast, Gandalf the White is more charming :)

3:04 PM  
Blogger M said...

I have no idea abt LOTR. Tho i have watched all the movies...but cant rem the names n all! So well, uummm, can i be Hermoine granger? Oh....now thats a different movie isnt it.. iishhh! Sowwie. =)

Btw casa, You've got mail!

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A nazgul, they have mystery and a touch of class

3:11 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Medha,
Noooo... no mention of Potter when mature things like LOTR are being discussed :p
C'mon, give me the description even if you cant remember names.. I should be able to put a name to the character.
Cant check gmail in office, will reply in the evening, ok :)

Exhaustpipe,
Actually I was just thinking, that if I were to choose an dark character, it would be the Witch-king of Angmar, Lord of the Nazguls :D

3:14 PM  
Blogger M said...

AYE! How can you say that about Harry Potter?? Hmmpph!

Okok, if u insist, then it has to be the... umm.. i will get back to you about it a bit later ok? I really am not a huge fan. I loved the first and the third movie..but seriously, the second one was toooo boring!

3:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Firstly, i give you due credit for not picking any "good" character.

Secondly, yes that was my first response too, but he got his ass whooped quite royally by the Ents.

If he was slightly smarter then yes, Saruman!

3:51 PM  
Blogger burf said...

seems like ive to pick up LOTR for the 1st time this time and chk out arwen ;) :p

:D

4:47 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Medha,
I agree, the forests do make The Two Towers a little boring in the middle. But, I am someone who watches the 4 hour extended versions of LOTR, so I'm the wrong person to comment on it ;)

Jupiter,
You remind me of Galadriel's dialogue - instead of a Dark Lord, you will have a Queen :D

Burf,
You havent watched LOTR?? What is the world coming to :(

5:16 PM  
Blogger karuna said...

we start making our memories out of what we hear.
I totally do that! Partly cuz like you i have no memories of my own even though my friends do and partly cuz every1 is so convincing!
And not much of a fan but Arwen!

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Gosh, I am possibly the sore thumb here. Just didn't get interested enough in LOTR etc. to even try it out :-( Sorry Casa. But about childhood memories, I absolutely Love to ask my family esp. my Mom about how I was when I was very little. I never get tired of knowing every detail, even if it's repeated...it's so interesting! :-) I do have my own memories as well. I sometimes wish our family had video footage of me :-( Today's new-born generations are lucky :-)

5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I was a character in Harry Potter I would be like to be Voldemort..Dark, dangerous and powerful

Besides you should feel for the slytherin lads. They beat Gryffindor only for Dumbledore to hand 50 points each to potter and gang. Unfair I say!

6:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

How did this turn into a discussion abt what my brother calls, Hari Kumbhaar?

Heehee..

Totally..a dark queen, who wouldnt' make the dumass mistakes Sauron did. Hmm...I have to fashion a name for myself, for it will be a name all Men will fear and bow down to, a name legends will be written about, a name that...

okay okay.. point is..ill find a name.

6:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

a name that will curdle the hearts of all things good, a name that would mean Absolute Power in every earthly language...

okay this is fun!

6:36 PM  
Blogger burf said...

@cas - :-s (i alwys felt lotr is kiddish - thats why...)

heard abt ur plan :D
lets play bet ;)

:D:D:D

7:29 PM  
Blogger alice said...

casa check out my post and dont kill me...

and burf... lotr ..kiddish...??????

8:07 PM  
Blogger Eleventy Seven said...

Sorry missed out on the reads for a while. Being home does that to you.

LOTR. Saw them back to back and got bored to death. They're ok but I'd much rather prefer a Dead Poet's Society or Patch Adams or even Good Will hunting (for the umpteenth time). Potter and LOTR arent really my cup of tea. So no choices.

Though if I did have to be someone from the movies I'd kill to be "Finnegan Bell" in Great Expectations.

My 2 cents! :-) (dont sue me for it)

8:46 PM  
Blogger totti said...

i missed the first day, first show of the harry potter movie.but i think i will live !! i loved the first and last paras, because i am DIE HARD lotr fan!!

9:12 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Karuna,
Arwen gets Aragorn, how much better does it get ;)

Harshi,
I dont quite enjoy video footage... I prefer photos actually. Allows you to imagine the rest :)

Exhaustpipe,
No talk of Hari Putter here. None!

Jupiter,
Still no name? C'mon, world domination awaits you lady!

Burf,
Its not kiddish!! Watch it!

Alice,
I took that quiz, I am Aragorn! Yippee :D

Saurabh,
Envy you for your holiday :p
And nobody shall call LOTR boring. Its just that some people dont understand it ;)

Totti,
Yes I know you are fan, but you still didnt tell us which character you'd be? Nazgul?

11:35 PM  
Blogger alice said...

ok i'll answer ur qs...and an obvious answer....i wd like to be aragorn.....

11:39 PM  
Blogger Blue Athena said...

Not really into LOTR...but yes the memories bit go back a looong time...

Sometimes I've asked my mum and dad abt somethings that happened when they thought I was way too young to remember anything at all! I'm sure they were embarrassed as hell! :))

1:08 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Alice,
But the online test makes you an Arwen :)

Blue Athena,
Wow to your memory! I know some others who remember their kindergarten days... and I've always wondered how!

1:12 AM  
Blogger Anshul said...

I can't even remember my class 1 or class 2 teacher. The earliest teacher I can remember was from class 5 and I remember being terribly scared of her because she used to lock us up in class and go off somewhere for long periods of time.

If I were a LOTR character I'm terribly afraid I'll be one of the bad guys :D

1:23 AM  
Blogger Arroclint said...

thats a mighty cool analysis of events of yourself being told to you. ive been told stuff about me. it seems that i was quite an annoying little kid. asked too many questions.

2:35 AM  
Blogger the cowlick said...

Myth became legend, and legends became history
I'm thinking more on the lines of our country's history.. of Lord Rama, of Mahabharat.. wonder if they fall in the same category..

7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I can't do without pictures! Love them. Even in today's digital world, I still want hard copies :-)

9:40 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Anshul,
Lock up the class? Did you go to a school or a jail?

Clint,
You still are, arent you? :D

Cowlick,
Yes I also thought of Ramayan before I was writing this... but forgot to include it.
I would think they are myths turned into history :)

Harshi,
Me too!

11:21 AM  
Blogger burf said...

btw, what is the story all about?

12:14 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

**Is it the same for childhood memories?

I think it is..cos it seems that it's only in childhood that it's selective...cos when we r adults we can control what we want to keep in our memory...but we cant do that in childhood...what gets registered stays there...

Keshi.

12:33 PM  
Blogger alice said...

hey thats what the online quiz saya...i WANT ot be aragorn....

5:22 PM  
Blogger Archster said...

Memories are a tricky thing. I fully agree.

Is liv tyler arwen? Or is arwen the babe who slays Nazgul(?). Neva mind. there were only 2 women in the movie i think. I would like to be the latter. Slaying monsters and evil beings and also catching the chap at the end of the flick and not lose out to an elf.

5:24 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Burf,
The story on a very simple level, is about the good vs evil. For more, just watch the first movie. I guarantee you wont regret it :)

Keshi,
Yes children are more naive and innocent that way :)

Alice,
Just watched LOTR right now... what can I say.
ARAGORN ROCKS!

Archster,
The 'slayer' was Eoywen, and Arwen is the one who finally gets Aragorn :D
(Eoywen does get another good catch though - Faromir ;) )

2:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"yet the stories paint such a vivid picture, that the lines between my own memories and those of others gets blurred" - Oh! so true!!

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home