Thursday, November 17, 2005

My dil goes mmmmm

More than a month to go, but they are already dressing up the city. Christmas trees, decorations, stars and angels, bright lights and a whole lot of red everywhere! Maybe its just the most 'marketable' festival, but that doesnt stop it from being my favourite. There's something really dreamy and surreal about the festival season. It tingles.

I always wait with bated breath for any festival. I love the preparations, the anticipation, the festivities-before-the-festival. But one thing I dont like is the abrupt end it all comes to. Like you wake up the day after Diwali, or Holi, and its all gone. There's nothing left of it, except memories, and the wait for a year.

But christmas is different. You can still wake up 26th december, and look forward to the new year celebrations. You can still be in the holiday mood. You can still see the lights and decorations for another few weeks. You can still enjoy the festivities. Its this gradual build-up and gradual build-down which makes it so special. It is knowing, that its a festive season, and not just a festive day, that makes my dil go mmmm mmmm....

I feel it in my fingers,
I feel it in my toes,
Christmas is all around me,
and so the feeling grows
-Soundtrack, Love Actually


Inspired by: The biggest-est christmas tree at Telford Plaza, and the christmas special Toffee Nut Latte from Starbucks :)

32 Comments:

Blogger totti said...

aha! first to comment on your blog too! thats a good point.festivities are especially missing in my life at us, though! and sucks...sucks big time but i have come to accept it.may be i shud'nt.Point taken.pointy beaten :p

12:41 PM  
Blogger M said...

Yeah i was feeling the same while walking down Orchard road yesterday. You know how it looks during Christmas. Just gorgeous. festive season is here once again. We (girls) don't really need an excuse to shop, but now you have one! So head to those malls i say. ;)

12:54 PM  
Blogger Susu said...

well.. last two christmas eves have been lush green at this city which is supposed to all white by then.. I pray for this evil country to have their share of joy atleast this time:) I am more looking at it from finishing a big deadline on 20th...

1:21 PM  
Blogger bluegreenflysplat said...

OMG!!!! I've been thinking krisssmaaassseve forever now!!! I've already got the lights out, and am also looking for a tacky fake x'mas tree like i do all the time. it's such fun. I'll probably start wearing my santa hat in a while too...

on a different note altogether, what on earth is this Love Actually thing happening around me? Everywherre I go, something from the movie comes up!!! don't you just love Billy Mack?

2:08 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Totti,
Congratulations! As the first commentor on my blog today, you shall receive your prize money on Thanksgiving!
Claim it from the one who is headed your way from LA ;)

Medha,
You spoke too soon / too late... I went for lunch after posting this, and bought a winter jacket during lunch break!! Didnt even need an excuse to shop... awww, my poor bank balance, I sympathise :(

Aristera,
Show me someone who isnt :D

Susu,
Stop working all the time.. its thanksgiving/christmas/new years!
White christmas sounds tempting, but I doubt I can take the cold.

Bgfs,
I was thinking of buying some lights too!! And a red shirt, to suit the festive season :)
I love Billy Mack, and I love the movie... every story in it is so cute, so real and so mushy. My heart melts :)

2:30 PM  
Blogger M said...

HAHA! You did?? lol..cooool yaar! ;)

I need to make my list now. A long list cos' mom's taking me out for shopping. My bank balance is gona stay intact that way!

Hmm, lets see now..Heels, jackets, pants...and those Versace shades!! Aaaah, cant wait to buy those shades. The shades with my money of course...the rest, mom's paying! =D

3:00 PM  
Blogger Virdi said...

seriously... u can feel that diwali is coming when you go out in the market... and yes my heart also goes mmmmmmmmm...
V..

3:00 PM  
Blogger M said...

Umm..what am i getting so happy for?!? The shades are probably gonna cost more than what mom will be paying for the shoes, pants and jackets! Damn, my bank balance! :S

3:02 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Medz,
But the problem is... I bought a winter jacket, which can only be used while I'm here, or when I go for some winter holiday! Absolut waste in Spore... so wondering if it was worth the money :(
As for the shades, a good pair is essential for your eyes. No compromise. And they arent that expensive... I bought Gucci, and it wasnt too bad for the wallet ;)

Virdi,
Yea I guess outside India though, we've got to settle for christmas. But the buzz for any festival is AWESOME!

3:08 PM  
Blogger the cowlick said...

I loved Christmas when I was in school.. even a bit in college.. but lost the spirit somewhere while working on christmas nights.. I loouuuve Diwali in India though.. I'd start going out and shopping for everybody weeks before the day.. it's just the best time of the year!

4:05 PM  
Blogger Jewel Rays said...

Hi Casa,

Been checking out ya blog. :) intresting one i have to say.:) well As for me Christmas has always been a delight and busy festive seasons for me. and also the month where u go slightly more broke than usual with all that christmas present and all. and will be heading down this weekend to orchard road to check out the decor..:)

Love da soundtrack on loveactually.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Shikha said...

That was a feel-nice post:)

4:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ahh, ever since I moved to the new office I have given up on Starbucks for Olio Dome...but the toffee nut latte is hands-down the best latte ever made, with those little itsy-bitsy bitses on top. YUM

Had one yesterday!

4:22 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Cowlick,
Yup I love diwali too... but dont really get to enjoy it much given that I am usually in Spore for it :(

Unveilings,
Ah, so you are one of the silent readers who cranked up the hit counter :D
Nearer to christmas, my blog shall sing some carols, and also the OST from 'Love Actually' :)

Shikha,
Cant always do feel-sad posts ;)

Jupiter,
They have 2 new flavours - toffee nut latte and gingerbread latte. Shall try the latter tomorrow :D

4:23 PM  
Blogger burf said...

alto u ran away from ur earlier bet but there is another series that has started... so a 'fair' game for this one ;) :D ?

:D

4:56 PM  
Blogger Arroclint said...

i love christmas. im the happiest at christmas. ive alreayd started listening to carols and stuff. next week ill be all over doha wearing my santa hat. always gets some really funny looks from the arabs here. hehe

5:02 PM  
Blogger alice said...

what i like about cristmas is home made wine and cakes....mmmm.....

5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah festive season coming up. Lucky you, you will have the pleasure of seeing me during christmas :p

5:54 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Burf,
Hehehehe... after yesterday's close match, I'm not making any bets :D

Clint,
Can santa also send christmas gifts for us? ;)

Alice,
Cakes I do love... didnt know there are homemade wines though.

Exhaustpipe,
You dont wanna be sleeping outside on a cold christmas night, do you? :p
Rule No.1 - Be NICE to your host ;)

5:56 PM  
Blogger bluegreenflysplat said...

lights!!! i think fairy lights have taken over bombay!! thats the oonly thing they use to decorate the whole world!!! and when there are erformances in this one garden, they make magic with fairy lights!!!!

oh, and you can call me Phal, which is short for my name..

6:41 PM  
Blogger Arroclint said...

depends if you;ve been naughty or nice...

7:20 PM  
Blogger Extempore said...

Oh yes... Christmas just lasts and lasts no? And Bandra is the most beautiful at that time of year. :-)

The lovely thing about Christmas is that it comes a little after Diwali - the holiday feeling just merges from one to another!

p.s. Love is all around is originally from Four Weddings and a Funeral. Lovely Film that one!

9:17 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Yes I like the original song more... but the christmas version is so festive... and so funny, when you remember 'Love Actually' :)

9:28 PM  
Blogger Point 5 said...

More than the festive atmosphere, I look forward to the 1 week break that I would be getting...

Good observation abt the build up/down process of Christmas & Diwali...I think it probably boils down to Christmas being marketed better to its consumer....(***It's the plan of all big corporations****)

11:22 PM  
Blogger Rohan Kumar said...

My 'Dil' goes mmmmmmmmmmm +
'Love' is all around me from the soundtrack of the movie 'Love' Actually +
And a background song that screams 'Jeene ke ishaare mil gaye'
= certainly anything other than Christmas which happens to be 38 days away as I type. So who is this guy that makes you post out these ballads of love garbed very smartly as the festive air of Christmas :)
The guessing game is open to all readers of this blog :)

1:30 AM  
Blogger G Shrivastava said...

I know what you mean when you say that the festivities have gone frm the air post-Diwali, but these days that doesn't happen since the excitement for Christmas fills the air...and it's still all bright and colourful in shops...only sad bit is that the lights in ppl's homes go away...
Big xmas trees - les sapins - love them totally!

1:48 AM  
Blogger Dreamy Eyed Gal said...

yeah I love festivals too...and yeah...Christmas is one festival in which the holiday mood can go on till New Year...love the songs u link to ur blog!!!

4:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, you are so right Casa. "Gradual build-up and build-down"---couldn't agree more! It's the festival "season" and not just a day. I love this time of the year too! :-) And listening to those cheerful, holiday-spirit christmas tunes is so wonderful this time around too :-)

6:49 AM  
Blogger Keshi said...

aww a very cheerful and merry post...just like the Chrissie season...


**But one thing I dont like is the abrupt end it all comes to.

yess...it always happens with Hindu festivals and it's annoying...but Christmas is a season...not just a day. Love the way u have described it..Its this gradual build-up and gradual build-down...sure is.


Im gonna put up the tree soon...and then my home will light up for few weeks of pure magic...:)


Lovely post that gets u in the festive mood!
Keshi.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Pointy,
Yes as I said, its the most marketable season... but hey, if that makes me happy, my shallow humble self doesnt mind ;)

Rohan,
Just because Totti and I spilled the beans on your lovesick post, you dont have to change Christmas is all around me to Love is all around me ;)
As for your guessing game, keep guessing... hehehehe :D

Gee,
Christmas trees are such lovely things! If only they werent so expensive... I'd put one in my house :(

Mysterygal,
Yay, my blog sings good songs :)

Harshi,
holiday-spirit christmas tunes - coming to a blog near you ;)

Keshi,
Got you in the festive mood? Me too! And I went and splurged on shopping after writing this post. Talk about self-motivation ;)

10:02 AM  
Blogger Keshi said...

lol good on ya Casa!

Keshi.

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW......I can't wait for that Casa :-)

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home