Its a small world
Last few weeks:
I am in Hong Kong.
I hang out with A and a whole lot of his friends and acquaintances once.
About 15 of them, B to Q.
Some weeks later, I bump into Q, and two of his friends, R and S.
I join Q, R and S for dinner, and meet three more friends of theirs. T, U and V.
V turns out to be the brother of W (who is in Germany right now), who I knew two years back, in university.
6 months back:
I was in Singapore.
A was in Mumbai.
Q was in Bangalore.
V was in Calcutta.
Its a small, small world!
---------------------------------------------------------------
X and Y are both from India, and currently, both reside outside India.
X and Y both blog.
X and Y are about 12,000 miles and 12 hours apart.
X and Y discover that they both have/had family in the same small nonedescript town in India!
X also happens to know the brother of Y's friend!
What are the odds? Seriously?
---------------------------------------------------------------
Life's way of entertaining us?
Or... life's way of getting entertained by us?


33 Comments:
So true! You will not believe how many times I have had these incidents occuring with me. Jois, is one example. What are chances really?
I have a friend who I hung out with for 3 years before finding out he's my long distance cousin. I mean wow! We're still the best pals.
Today if I were to sit down and relate there are so many of these springing up. But you know something the chances of these happening are actually very very high. There's a theory called by different names but best know as Six Degrees of Seperation which says that every person is related to any other in the world by no longer than 6 steps. There's tons of research done on it too and I think University Of Virginia has a good model going to . They have based their model on Film Industry and have proved successfully this theory. Google for it. I think its called the Kevin Bacon theory or something like that. very very interesting.
The world just continues to decrease in magnitude ever since I started blogging = the number of ppl I've come across who know someone I know, or are from my school/college/neighbourhood etc is absolutely amazing! Isn't it such a wonderful feeling? Makes you feel like you know the world :-)
wow spooky almost.
i regularly read a blog before i realised it was my own cousin.
i bumped into someone online - a blog again. it took 3 conversations to realise we are from the same school and share common friends. he lives in australia now.
the world really is getting smaller.
hmm yeah, you can call me bugs bunny, i don't mind. It's so, so weird. It's like this whole six degrees of seperation thing, it's mad. Geetanjali was ,y senior in school, and I didn't know her much, but my friend Aparna ended up being in her french class. Her friend Kunal bumped into LivingHigh, who bumped into me, aho bumped into Akshay, and the next thing you know, all of us are getting drunk at Mondy's in town...
Small, small, tiny world...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Saurabh,
Yup, the 6-degrees-of-seperation theory just found another follower. Almost creepy, isnt it? Given that I didnt even know these people ever, except A!
Gee,
Oh yea, blogging has just shrunk the world for me... its so awesome!
Dreamcatcher,
Spooky! Totally!
Bugs Bunny,
Oh my god, that's some chain. Its almost as complicated as my journey from A to V :D
Insane,
Yes, its great! I'm not complaining :)
Isn't it amazing how this fast shrinking world, is actually helping us meet newer and nicer people everyday..
nice blog.. liked reading it.. :)
Id like to know if X mailed y first, and if so... how is it that Y responded to a typically 'i want to sail on friendship with u / make friendship with u email! :)
But it really is a small small world sometimes.
Oh tell me about world getting smaller and smaller.
A was my best friend in during my early years in school. Then A left in 4th std. A year or two after A left, B joined the school. And then I left in the 8th std and came to Singapore. Earlier this year when i went back to india i discovered, not only do A and B know each other but they were also dating!! I was like simply taken back.
The world is REALLY a small place! For all you know Casa, you and i might also have common friends in Singapore. ;)
*Wondering*... why do people delete their comments AFTER I have replied :p
Aastha,
Thanks :)
(Your profile pic is a lil scary, though)
Archster,
Hahahahahaha!
No there werent any 'I want to have friendship' kind of emails sent, thankfully :)
X and Y decided to chat online coz their blogs werent enough for the catfights ;)
Medha,
Dating! That does surprise me!
And yes, I am quite certain we'll have some common friend or acquaintance in Spore. Can bet on it!
maybe a twist or two, and a question at the end of it all could have gotten it into the CAT exam paper! hehe.. jus kidding.
maybe a twist or two, and a question at the end of it all could have gotten it into the CAT exam paper! hehe.. jus kidding.
Dost... WHAT A POST! brilliant thinking.
*Does the soldier stomp, and salutes* (stolen)
I think its both... life's way of entertaining us and vice versa.
Either way, it works for us.
daymn woman..thats just freaky...u know what they say..'nothing is ever a coincidence'
dont ask me who 'they' is. i made them up
:P
it isn't that weird. if people are represented by nodes and relationships as edges a graph for the whole world's population can be formed. then the distance between any two random nodes comes out to be less than n, where n is very small due to the rate of connectivity of the present world.
if you ever log on to some social networking site, you'll find that the distance between you and any random stranger is not more than 4 or 5.
but i have rambled on enough :D
sure it is :D
so when and where can i pick you up from? ;) yahoo or msn :D
:D
Is this an IQ question? Are you taking GRE?
im not at all surprised. everyday i find out that the world is smaller than i imagine. the 6 deg of separation concept applies quite well. then again i have a bit too many friends.
Shashi, Cowlick,
No both these situations are out of my own life! No trick questions here... its all real :p
Conman,
Thank you :)
Yes, works well... but does give food for thought.
Mahi,
If its not a coincidence, then what is it?? Dont get me worried, girl!
DD,
Hmmmm, quite mathematical. Maybe I'll read it again tomorrow and understand it, ya? ;)
Burf,
Haha, already passed the coffee to you on your blog :p
Clint,
Yup yup, its nice to have lots of friends. And them to then have lots more... we likey :)
I read a book called linked by barabasi.it was a pseud book.it said that each and everyone of us is connected through about six links.I have never experienced that oh you are so and so to really feel the power :p
Pointy - you shall starve to death when you come to state college for thanskgiving. who has the time to provide throughtful entertainment :P
Casa, i shud have expected your support after so many decisions i ruled in your favor.Next time you level charges against these two, you will find it difficult to get support ;)
Lovely thought. Loved the last two lines. It is INDEED a small world. Your post at one point reminded me of those analytical A, B and D questions in tests....:-) If we really take the time to meet new people (Or even know our own present friends) and learn about their friends and their lives, we could begin finding some connections :-) And sometimes, these just spring by itself out of the blue :-) Also reminds me of that concept of everyone being related to the other by 6 degrees (or some such)? Heard of that?
Keep writing. Love your posts Casablanca.
Hadn't read the posts before me :-) Yeah...the six degrees of separation theory. Fascinating :-) Maybe you and me have a common friend/acquaintance, who knows, haha :-)
Wat would u say were the odds of X flying out to HK as I type this?
"
Life's way of entertaining us?
Or... life's way of getting entertained by us?"
The latter is more likely ....
Totti,
Six degrees of separation theory seems to be really working for me!
As for the earlier comment.... c'mon, I thought it was a compliment :) Who wants pseud entertainment anyway... your random posts are totally hilarious :D
(PS: But do starve Pointy, he deserves it :p)
Harshi,
Powerful theory that. I think I'm gonna get a book on it soon.
And I wont be surprised at all if we find some common acquaintance sometime :)
Rohan,
I would say miniscule, very miniscule. But it would be very interesting if that happened ;)
Jay,
We'll never know, will we? :)
That only fetches you partial points. The exact answer we were looking for was one in a gazillion fafillion tetratrillion ;)
You bet...Its a small small world.
casa - i took it as a compliment :).where's today's post though?
casa,
THWANK YOU SWOO MUCH. i wud've never noiticed it if it hadn't been for you. yup, typo. shou;ldave been Sara, not Maya.
thanks for dropping by and the comment
wow! this sound slike one of those analogy questions now - there are 3 friends x,y,z - x is next to y and the guy next to the red colored shirt is not y and they all eat bananas ... :))
ooops! i meant analytical and not analogy :(
Rohan,
Ah, thanks for the numbers lesson, Austin :p
Rahul,
Yup it is.
Totti,
Give the girl a break :p
Dont usually post on sundays though ;)
Mrig,
Ah, now the story makes more sense ;)
Sagnik,
Haha, hope you dont make such typos in your thesis. And why are people thinking this is some puzzle?! Its life. Real life :p
It all, always, comes together.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home