Page 3 and beyond
So where do desis in Hong Kong flock to, when they want to be all hep, cool and Indian? A Desi Party! So well, my friends and me headed to one of those on saturday, and although the music consisted of some atrocious remixes and deafening 'UK bhangra', it was quite an event. There was a police check for which we got a 10 minute respite from the music. There were scary looking bouncers who didnt even let the DJ's sister in. There were old uncles with young aunties, doing balle balle no matter what number was playing. And there was Ekta Kapoor and a whole bunch of her saas-bahu serial cast (and none of them were even remotely good looking!). Yup, all in all, a real page 3 event!
For the uninitiated, Ekta Kapoor is the lady who turned Indian TV around with her flood of KKK serials, and turned every wife into a manipulative vamp and every husband into the owner of a multi-million dollar family business. No I dont watch these soaps, but I have tolerated a couple of episodes when I was back home, and my mom insisted on talking to me while some woman was discussing her illegitimate child on TV.
As much as I abhor these soaps and their totally unrealistic plots (like any self-respecting young Indian), I am forced to ask myself why do I (and lots of my friends) then watch serials like Desperate Housewives with such devotion. For one, the story is over dramatic and totally unrealistic. The conniving women, the promiscuous relationships, the messed up children, and the palatial surburban bungalows. It is as far from the middle class reality as any K serial. It is as twisted in its storyline as any K serial. Yes it does have more flesh and more eye candy, and if that is your reason for watching Desperate Housewives instead of Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi, fair enough. But I doubt that is my reason.
Maybe its just easier for me to digest a dysfunctional family in another culture? Maybe its easier for me to enjoy the twisted stories in a different society, simply because it will never 'represent' me? Or maybe, its just more slick and more glamourous, and therefore easier on the eyes. Who cares for reality anyway...
Credits: Desi Party @ Sugar, discussion on Susu's blog.


43 Comments:
A good read again.
**There were old uncles with young aunties, doing balle balle no matter what number was playing.
LOL!
** its just more slick and more glamourous, and therefore easier on the eyes. Who cares for reality anyway...
agreed...even I dunno why ppl r addicted to such shows that is in no way close to reality..they r simply glamorous and stupid :)
Keshi.
I guess its beacuse tv shows like Desperate Housewives, show or represent the reality of their society. They show the real deal.
But if you look at all these indian tv shows, all the ekta kapoor serials, its NOTHING close to real life, or has no connection whatsoever to indian society and its people. For instance, the guy gets married at least 5 times. The gurl will get married at least 10 times, gets divorced 5 times, gets pregnant with different guys at least 3 times....and then the best part of indian tv shows, the dead people miraculously make a comeback. Either they look like they used to, or they get some goddam plastic surgery! And then the serials have really senti, overly-dramatic dialogues!! I mean isnt that just too much?! Who's gonna tolerate all that crap for too long?? That SO doesnt happen in real life.
And thats why every other hindi serial on tv these days is getting so very predictable! There's no fun in watching them anymore, also cos india tv is now dominated by Ekta Kapoor. And her shows are just.. INTOLERABLE! Try watchin "Kaisa yeh pyar hai" on Sony tv. You will realise HOW NONSENSICAL can these hindi shows get!! Sheeesshh!
Hence to view some good tv, we have to opt for those english shows. At least they make sense and keep us entertained.
Keshi,
Thanks for the agreement. Ya I guess glam lies is better than boring lies :D
Medha,
But what makes you so sure that Desperate Housewives represents their society perfectly well? The impression most of us have about American culture, is once again, through TV and movies, isnt it? So its kind of a visious circle.
I doubt there are so many american middle class women who are as bitchy as those 4.
At the root of it, I dont think either the indian or american soaps represent their society. Which is why both are so popular in their own societies.
Ironic.
Casa, don't you watch Oprah? On oprah, you will find these weird women who look like they are some character right out of a tv soap.
Oh trust me, they had this whole show on Desperate housewives on Oprah, and there WERE american women present in the show who could relate SO VERY WELL to the characters on Desperate Housewives.
Rightly concluded!
I think that would pretty much be my reason for watchin it. Not to forget the Gardner on the show.
Thinking Desperate Housewives represents the typical American household would be like realising totti's wildest american dreams. It works only because its so far from reality that the sheer edginess doesnt make anyone uncomfortable and amkes viewing pleasurable.
Btw visit theblogtale blog and read up the comments. lemme know if you can tag someone who posts freqently and also has a fair amount of ppl visiting their blog.
@medha the ladies on Oprah and shows like Maury and jerry Springer are handpiced coz they add shock value to the show and dont really represent the avg strata of Americans (or atleast the ones that i've interacted with)
I would watch all the serials u mentioned above anyday for the eyecandy
All these soaps r really addictive..all it needs is patience to tolerate first 3 episodes, and then u shall be hooked on for 3 yrs..
Rohan- OK maybe. You might know better cos' u live in the US. But what im trying to say is that indian tv soaps are just wayy tooo melodramatic. I am not saying that neighbourhoods like Wysteria Lane actually exist in the states. But neither does a daughter-in-law/daughter/son of a typical indian family gets married at least 6 times and divorced 4 times! In comparison between the two, western shows and indian shows, the former seems more realistic than the latter. Not because marrying 6 times is NOT acceptable in our society, but because if the same thing happens in the US (for example), its MORE acceptable!
Thats why, when i say that western tv shows are more realistic, i mean they make more sense. And also its never too dramatic.
"So where do desis in Hong Kong flock to, when they want to be all hep, cool and Indian? A Desi Party"
Maybe, watching desperate housewives is a way to act hip, cool and non indian!
Well, i personally hate both KKK and desperate housewives. I think most people who says I watch it for the eye candy are not being entirely truthful.
i have enough drama in my life to watch all these made up ones....
Medha,
As for Oprah and its guests, well they are the unique characters from society. A girl who attempted suicide 3 times, a woman who lost 50kgs by dieting and a victim of domestic abuse... such are the guests on her show, but I doubt they represent the average american. The average american is just that - average. And I think nobody wants to watch a show about average people. Be it Bold and the Beautiful or Desperate Housewives, they are quite far from reality, and Rohan is right that its easier to watch and not feel involved if its so dramatic.
Yes KKK serials are more melodramatic, and 4 marriages and 3 illegitimate children dont happen either. But then, why is it so popular in India? You and me might detest it, but they do have a huge fan following. Why?
Archster,
Eye candy and exciting lives... yup!
Rohan,
Couldnt agree with you more, both on Desperate Housewives and Oprah!
About the blogtale... hmm, have some views on it. Will let you know.
Pointy,
Yup, they suck you in... till you hate it, but still watch it. Pure addiction.
Exhaustpipe,
Haha... dont be jealous of my Desi Party. Will take you'll for one next month!
As for the soaps, as of now, I guess the reason I watch it so religiously is coz I'm bored at home. Anything on TV works for me!
Clint,
Hmmmm... maybe we can start a soap on your life? Is it exciting enough? :D
i can't even say i hate K serials or desperate housewives - never watched a single episode. i somehow get a feeling they're just created by finding the most ridiculous bits of non-stories that can stop your brain from functioning enough to command your fingers to change the channel.
I can totally relate to Sex and the City and Desperate Housewives. I think they are intelligent shows and frankly, society has to grow up and deal with cheating husbands, gay sons, too many children and such other filial dysfunctionalities. However, society doesn't really have to deal with ridiculous definitions of daughters-in-law or reincarnated brothers or mother-daughter twins.
I don't think I'm biased here. There is plenty of sub-standard American TV, but Desp. Housewives is not in that category. Its glamorous, but its not a dumb blonde.
I also think that despising American TV is not a conclusive way to prove your Indian-ness. Slogans for Indian serials read like "Shaadi ke baad, raani ya naukrani"...is this what being Indian translates to?
Why is it so popular in india? HELLO! Because the target audience for such shows are basically the housewives,the mother-in-laws and the daughter-in-laws in India. The stay at home ladies who watch these shows religiously. And then they start getting so involved in these serials, that they are 24/7 talking about what is Tulsi doing in "Kyunki.." or whats happening in "Kahani..." and so on. These ladies form the major part of the audience and hence the shows are SO popular. Yes its like an addiction for these women.
And i agree with jups, i relate to Sex and the City and Desperate Housewives too. Bold and the Beautiful and 'Days of our lives' are complete BULLSHIT! Bold and the beautiful cant be compared to Desperate Housewives man. Seriously.
another confused desi in HangKang, i guess??? ;-)
may be "reality" show makers care about reality. really... hehe. sometimes these "reality" shows give food for thoughts-about-serials. no wonder... soaps would have to have unrealistic plots
Anshul,
Of all posts, you commented on this one??!!
*still in shock*
Jupiter,
As for the slogans, cant say much, except that I think marketing is also part of the glitz and glam. So yea, that contributes to our reasons for watching or not watching a particular show.
I dont think its about Indianness... as I said, most young Indians hate those KKK serials, and instead feed on American TV. My question, is why? Trying to figure out my reasons...
Medha,
Yes, but why do these millions of housewives watch the serials??? Why? Do they identify with the characters? Or is it just coz there is nothing else to do?
I'm still looking for reasons for any show's popularity... doesnt seem to be a simple list.
Virdi,
Yup yup, you got it right ;)
Shashi,
Reality TV couldnt be more unreal. Bachelor, For Love or Money, Paradiz Hotel.... dont even get me started on those!
Very well written, Casa. I particularly agree with your description of the K serials. Lol! :D
I am in the US, and I have never watched Desperate Housewives save for a few scenes here and there and reading about it. Somehow, it didn't hold my attention. But it is HUGELY popular here. Why. I don't know. Yes, I have heard it is "relatable", but is it a "reflection" of the women here? Maybe not. But still, people seem to not find it offensive, maybe because they like the characters and the way they relate to each other? I don't know. The women in the show care for each other if I am right. I bet the majority of the viewers are women.
It's ironic, how shows are basically made to pull audiences and as someone wrote above, the "shock value" might hold people's attention and make them feel "entertained", but looking at it another way, that could also be a total turn-off and reduce viewership. I guess, some shows just try to strike a "balance".
Casa, i am flying over to HK to have this discussion with you. LOL. I just typed out an entire 'Ram-kahani' but then realised its just way tooo long. Maybe i will mail it to you and then we can continue our discussion there. :)
Rita,
Oh, it gets worse than the descriptions.
Harshi,
Ya, I guess if we could really put down a list of all things that made a TV show tick, marketing managers would run out of jobs, isnt it :)
I guess the public is god... and its also quite unpredictable.
Medha,
Arre dont give up yaar! Long ram-kahani also can. Bring it on :)
Ahem! Topics of discussion is beyond my IQ. Though I do see some really lengthy converdation on it which is longer than the post itself.
The idiosyncracies that Ekta Kapur creates....
Jupi,
As usual fiery.
But i like "Shaadi ke baad, naukrani" bit. Me likie.
Captain Sparrow.
the biggest prob with kkk serials is that even the creator wont remember when and from where the story started
my reason for watching des housewives is eye candy and the 'coz its so unpredictable...unlike thos saas bahu types...full of drama and tears and vamps....
Glamor, Eyecandy, makes you feel a lil cooler and... hmm... i dunno they just are less predictable!
Thats where im coming from i mean desperate houseviwes is riviting i sayy
Well, it is definately some kind of addiction.And, i am glad that almost everybody is a part of it :)
Another very good article is on my friend don's blog
abandonedmines.blogspot.com
Saurabh,
Totally understandable ;)
Captain,
This comments reminds me of a very interesting conversation regarding marriage and a village somewhere in India. Remember? ;)
Shikha,
More twisted than the most complicated pretzel!
Alice,
Yup I guess originality in unrealistic plot does count.
Karuna,
Ah, someone's back from Hyd!
Totti,
Will go and read the post pronto.
tnx
that's exactly what i meant when i said food for thoughtsabout-serials
k serials are mind numbingly stupid - people get married some 7-8 times, they wear garish makeup..and basically are ridiculous. there's no logic. but who said there had to be..
as for "desperate housewives" - its well glamourised and well isnt it illogical partly as well..
tv is a form of escaping, its just that i would never want to escape the Ekta Kapoor way into Dumbsville.
yes casa. you can easily start a soap on my life. its quite strange...
why watch them? because they're fun. no no no? I hate ekta, and i hate her some more. a friend works with her, and man do i get to know lots of her.
i went to a page 3 type party too. and spent all the time running from one irritating photographer, who finally caught up with me. what's teh funniest is, i'm so un-famous. and so pointless taking my photoo at an art opening... there was lovely work though...
lol...its not that u find it easier to deal with the other culture...
its just that our cultures spend oodles of time boasting of morals and values, and famileing 'oh all that', that its kind of disorienting watching these shows.
u get?
thats why indian soaps irritate me...i dont bother with paki ones.lol...but if ur gonna degrade ur culture through these soaps, why boast of purity in culture.
and im talking about both our countries.
maybe its just called escapism.. good post.:)
Burf,
?
Shashi,
Its like the devil and the deep blue sea.
DC,
i would never want to escape the Ekta Kapoor way into Dumbsville
Hahahaa... I agree, there are better ways to feel mentally numb :D
Clint,
Okay, will ask Ekta Kapoor if she wants to take on that offer ;)
BGFS,
Photographers chasing you, and then you tell us you are not famous?! Out with the truth girl!
Khizzy,
Ya I know what you mean. They try to show both ends of the spectrum - the devouted daugher-in-law turning into a devouted devil-woman. Causes serious indigestion!
Misreflection,
Thanks :)
**Ya I guess glam lies is better than boring lies
lol u got that right!
Keshi.
I HATE these serials. They really irritate you. And my mom watches them right up to midnight. :-((
:) good one!
I guess its probably coz, while watching SATC, or Desp Housewifes, we watch it just as a soap and dont try to relate ourselves with it.. whereas in apna K serials, though its from our society, we cant identify with it in anyway and that what makes it sound *CRAP*
Keshi,
:)
Jingu,
Yes I wonder what keeps our moms hooked on to these circuitous stories!
Khushi,
Yea I guess we know the reality of Indian society, and knowing how far it is from this reality, its a little difficult to digest.
cuz khizzy was questioning our culture cuz of this K crap and i wasnt able to find an answer so i directed her to this post of urs...
I don't relate either to the home-grown K serials ("I abhor them" would be a better way of putting it) and I don't care much for Desp Housewives or Sex in the City either.. I've never seen the former, as for the latter.. it's about four bimbos (except Miranda) desperately searching men, for whom shoes and a bright pink dress represent poetry. Bah!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home