Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The mean machine

I dont like saccharine for two reasons:
1 - Its fake
2 - It leaves a bad taste in the mouth

Exactly the same reasons I dont like artificially sweet, all-is-right-with-the-world people. They make me feel like I've been filled with sweet chocolate, wrapped in sugar, and drowned in a pot of honey. Uggghhh! I'll die of diabetes!

Dont get me wrong. I dont detest all chirpy, bubbly, happy and nice people. No, I dont. But I do believe that a healthy amount of cynicism and skepticism is a must for everyone. Its like a much required pinch of salt, with all that chocolate, sugar and honey.

For some reason, the righteous people who take a moral highground and start preaching to everyone else, are the biggest hypocrites. Because if they really believe in the sunshine-in-life and all-things-are-good, then why do they waste time pointing that out to the 'meanies'? Just be patient. I'm sure the sunshine from La La Land will reach these deprived, mean people and cleanse their hearts. Bah!

Oh yeah, go ahead, tell us that we are just jealous. Jealous that we arent the ones happily skipping away in our sugar stockings. But you know what? We dont really care. So you can jolly well continue to pretend that you'll are the victimised ones, the ones that others are jealous of and therefore mean to.

Ah yes, I know. Its your life... you can continue to be as naive as you want to be. Do I have a problem with that?

Uh huh... I do! Because you brand 'realists' as 'mean' and 'jealous'. And though I dont much care what you call them, I do care to explain to you, that the 'if you are not with us, you are against us' line is quite a dangerous one to take. Stop lynching everyone who criticises you... stop mobbing people because they dont agree with you... stop pretending that everyone is out to get you. Because honestly, its getting a tad irritating.

This was a public interest announcement. All angels can now go back to LaLaLand. All humans are invited to stay and comment.

74 Comments:

Blogger Jagan said...

am the first human to comment ? or the only one ?

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dammit, u stole my thunder

3:01 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Jagan,
Ah... more will follow, I am sure. Or atleast, I hope ;)

Exhaustpipe,
You mean you were planning to rant about this too?

3:09 PM  
Blogger M said...

"Its like a much required pinch of salt, with all that chocolate, sugar and honey."

Love that sentence. Reminded me of my blog. hehe ;)

And i agree with you. Hate it when some people pretend like life is all dandy and simple for them, and cant take some goddam criticism.

And plus, when they go around preaching about it! Makes me wanna give them one tight slap..i have met such people yaar and keep them away from me! Far far away from me!!!

3:19 PM  
Blogger Lancelot said...

well then i guess i am the first angel to comment :P
Quite a realist now... but i did believe at one point of time that everything was right with MY world, and then got the shocks that made me a realist!! but i would prob give nething to go back to those feelings... dont think i preached then coz everything WAS right!!!

3:19 PM  
Blogger Dipanjan Das said...

i am like 'wow' inside.

great line of execution - putting down such uncommon thoughts in writing.

but i havent seen many these people whom you rant against...probably they dont exist much in my world.

3:23 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Medha,
Thanks dear! Your blog was actually the inspiration for that analogy :)
*standing ovation for Chocolates, Honey and a pinch of Salt*

Lancelot,
Ah well... as long as you believe everything is right with YOUR world, its okay. Just dont pretend everything is right with the WHOLE world, and get upset if someone disagrees :)

3:23 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

DD,
I am guessing a lot of us think along those lines... but dont usually say it out.
Consider yourself lucky that you havent bumped into these sorta people yet ;)

3:26 PM  
Blogger M said...

Awww, thanks a lot babe! You're the best!!! ;)


=D

3:53 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

"The Mean Machine" ?!

Shouldn't it be, "A Realist's Rant" :-)

4:06 PM  
Blogger burf said...

wonders how...

...can God do this to me, how can the series end in a tie :(

but then there always is light at the end of the tunnel; test series coming up :p

and ppl throw the gauntlet ("tsk tsk tsk") back to others so easily (esp when they are aware of more than 3 quarters of the answer)

4:20 PM  
Blogger burf said...

:D:D:D

4:20 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Medha,
:D

Jay,
Ah well, I wear my 'mean' tag with pride ;)

Burf,
Hahahahaha... you really think test series has a lower chance of being tied than an ODI series? :D
Aur yaar, kabhi kabhi current post par bhi comment kar diya karo ;)

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, I saw 0 comments on ur blog and clicked to comment and it opened up with Jagan's comment. :p

5:10 PM  
Blogger the cowlick said...

You meet so many such people here who will have something nice to say to you ALLLLL the fucking time. I mean, it's nice.. but c'mon.. get real! I think Indians are more cynical. I like that.

The best guy on TV is Dr John Becker from the series Becker.. i remember an episode where all nice things keep happening to him on one day - he gets extra money, bets on a horse and wins, finds an old gold pen that belonged to his mum etc - and he says good things are like a rubberband, the more you pull it, the harder it will hit your face when it snaps back. At the end of the episode he gets robbed and loses all the nice things he'd got that day. He walks home a happy man!

5:12 PM  
Blogger janani said...

Me too - I am human! :-)

Specially loved your reply to lancelot.

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

//Oh yeah, go ahead, tell us that we are just jealous. Jealous that we arent the ones happily skipping away in our sugar stockings. But you know what? We dont really care. So you can jolly well continue to pretend that you'll are the victimised ones, the ones that others are jealous of and therefore mean to. //

I am also one of the 'We' as defined in these lines.

But you all find that all those on the other side of fence will always be surrounded by friends (?), cause they also know how to speak good to others, how to please others, how to appreciate ? even if all these are fake.

Someone once shouted at me, look at yourself you don't have friends ? I said,umm maybe cause I am not hypocrite.

(I am always coming to your blog, mainly for listening to those good Hindi songs you put, but could not contain myself from commenting after reading this post)

5:44 PM  
Blogger A and A said...

yeah! yea!!yah!!! ya!!!! i think i want to say i agree. :)

6:07 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Exhaustpipe,
Grow up, will ya :p

Cowlick,
Too much drinking in Melbourne eh? What kept you away for the last coupla days? :)
I've seen the Becker episode you describe... I love how everything is so dysfunctional in the sitcom :D

Janani,
Humans of the world, unite!

Green,
Ah well... I dont think my bluntness keeps friends away. Cant say I have too many, but enough to last this lifetime :)
but could not contain myself from commenting after reading this post
You make it sound like I hit a sanction on you or something ;)

Wishfulthinker,
Then say so na :D

6:20 PM  
Blogger Extempore said...

All in favour say aye! Nothing as annoying as someone who insists that what you are going through is all in your own head and all is right with the world. For the love of a non-existent God, keep me away from those!

But a deep dark secret that I must confess - while I do not believe that all is right with everyone's world all the time, I do believe that it will be... at some point at least. I admit to hopeless, irrational optimism at times - it is, I think, what keeps me sane when things go wrong.

In the hope that this does not qualify me for damned angelhood! :-)

6:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

.........Because we're bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling.

Nothing further, ;-)

6:33 PM  
Blogger greensatya said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Extempore,
"Damned angelhood" - hahahahaha!
I love your mix of realism and optimism... I also hope for everything getting right. But I do know, that as of now, they arent.

Jupiter,
Bingo! Dr.Cox defines it the best. I was thinking of him while writing this post you know :)
'Scrubs' shall continue to be my favourite sitcom *applause*

6:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha, you didn't hit the sanction button,but your post hit one such nerve which makes me blah, blah..

If you still have friends after being blunt, then I must say those are real friends

6:43 PM  
Blogger burf said...

if u would look closely, dear, u would realise that the series was mentioned in context of the light at the end of the tunnel, there is nothing to do with it being dimmer or brighter :D[though i wish it get brighter by the day ;)]

the post... hmmm... are per ur directions :p [in italics at the end] i complied to 50% of them, i.e. i proved myself to be human :D; regarding the other 50%, please refer to the emoticon at row 5 coloumn 5 of ur yahoo [version 6.x] IM window :D

6:51 PM  
Blogger PNA said...

pretention is something even i cant stand ......
it is difficult to filter out the real people among the actors nowadays .....

7:53 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Green,
I sure hope they are. Or maybe they have no choice :D

Burf,
You leave me very, very confused.
The emoticon I think is 'silly'.
????

Ash,
Firstly, Ash as in... Aishwarya Rai? :D
I thought it isnt difficult to filter out... I think all the over-sweet ones are fake :D

7:54 PM  
Blogger PNA said...

overtly sweet ones are a pain in the neck true........still ...

there was this braggard in college who ofcourse bragged a lot ...
she sponsered her uncle's huuuuge place for us when we went for a competition...knowing her and her talking we never expected much ...but lol!! that was a huuuuuuuge mansion and she was indeed speaking the truth after all .....maybe a one time come true situation...

cya

8:15 PM  
Blogger burf said...

in fact wld prefer to leave yea in a state of daze if not trance ;) :D:D:D

but then i remember my own post titled "damn" :(




no, thats the 6th coloum; i was ref to 'rolling eyes'

8:40 PM  
Blogger Prerona said...

really? dont we all 'act' some of the times. are we, any of us, able to be what we are, always in front of everyone? i think we save a lot of stuff for real friends and family and present a bland polite face to the rest of the world. isnt it?

9:03 PM  
Blogger . : A : . said...

Yes, everything is not supposed to be sweet. I personally prefer spice.

;-)

(However unrealted that sounds)

9:25 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Burf,
Hmmmmmmmmm

Prerona,
I think you got it wrong. By all means, go ahead and wear your masks. Just dont choose the sugar-coated candy one, 'cause its too easy to see through.

.:A:.,
I prefer spice too :)

10:00 PM  
Blogger the cowlick said...

was off from work yesterday.. home laptop screen is broken..

10:42 PM  
Blogger totti said...

that's so sweet..and don't you love the "all knowing" look and the pity glances you evoke at such outbursts?

Hypocrisy is the most hypocrytic word :p

11:08 PM  
Blogger burf said...

= ?

:(

*disappointed*?
*angry*?
*sick*?
or
plain *unhappy*?

:-/
:(

11:19 PM  
Blogger Brown Magic said...

As a "realist", I live with an "angel," and there are times I wake up with every intention of killing her for being so god damn chirpy and nice to everyone...but over time, her angelic demeanour has become more discerning (she might even voice dislike of people and things and be pissed off when she has reason) and and my general dour outlook has given way to allow that all things are maybe not crappy - some are ok.
balance is what i am saying.

11:27 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Cowlick,
Ah, I see.

Totti,
Well, it hardly evokes pity. But yes, its nice to know a lot of others feel the same. And as one of the 'dark ones', I assume I am mean and hypocrite, so that doesnt make me feel any worse actually ;)

Burf,
Hmmmmm = Open to interpretation :p

Brown Magic,
Balance, I agree. Which is why I said, a pinch of salt, with all the chocolates and honey.

11:44 PM  
Blogger burf said...

girls...

aaaaarrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhh

:((

11:58 PM  
Blogger alice said...

reminds me of this bitch at work....

12:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Extempore you said my word.... Nothing to do with angelhood here, and yes i am happy most times and find it difficult that some poeple can be very negative at times. like Casa's mood when casa was writing this post :-) just like you feel that those who feel happy shouldn't think everything must be sunshine for the world, it is alo wrong to think wrong about someone who was trying to show you that "look, maybe there must be some silver lining".. My philosophy in life is simple, i am no angel but i like it when people around me also share a smile..and being unhappy never solves anything as being happy does, then what the hell, just smile away... Difficult but not quite impossible.. Of course I don't go out all the way to act holier tha thou but I always try to show one a positive side... and if they care their wish..i don't insist.. ANd yes i am happy to say that i am seldom unhappy.. MAybe i am an idiot, but i am.... cheers

12:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

being unhappy never solves anything as being happy does= typo mistake .. I meant " just as being happpy doesn't"

And Casa, What pal, just because you lost some weight, and some of ur friends offered you some awful food... lol

1:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way believe me, there are many more cynical people than there are positive people.. many more.. trust me.. Ever willing to shred you.. there is a saying in hindi,

"Muthi bhar namak Liye ghumte hein duniya, Appna Zakhm dikhaya na kijiye" I read in the blog of elysia once..

1:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must admit I have not come across such an interesting "public interest annoucement." For a change, I did read it :D

Scrolled down to see toffee nut latte. I don't know why they don't have that everywhere :(

2:30 AM  
Blogger Lancelot said...

@casablanca: nopes, essentially i totally agree with you... esp the "cynicism and skepticism a must for everyone"... tht perfect world of mine was somewhere in skool, where it was nice and fun, and birthday treats around, and fun galore...
@janani: hmmm, what have u got against us angels?? :-P

2:44 AM  
Blogger Anshul said...

?? so who exactly is mean? the angels, the listeners, the preachers or the skeptics? or everyone?

3:25 AM  
Blogger bluegreenflysplat said...

right, toh masla kya hai????

*bursts out into laughter*
*apologises for leaving sanity behind*

*screams out into the mic* You aid It SisTAH!!!

3:34 AM  
Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

Just popped in. First time here. Perfect post to stumble upon. I do not read the sugar-coated crap, nor do I write it.

I just think the happy-happy, stepfordy people must be in major denial. Life has its moments but a lot of shit happens and it is nice to friggin' vent!

It is late here in Spain and my brain is fried so forgive me if I am incoherent.

Bottomline, I like your blog and I will be popping in. Would love it if you stopped by mine!

Miz B.

5:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm...excess of one thing is never good. It should ideally be balanced.

Optimism coupled with realism -- is great. And if communicated nicely, it's even better! It is Great to have someone in our life, who can tell it like it is. But some other background factors might be involved. Some people hesitate because they might feel we are sensitive, and they don't want to hurt us. Or they might feel we will take them wrong and relationships might sour. Or they might just feel that they don't want to intervene in our personal life or decisions and want to give us that space, or they think they might be wrong in their thoughts to begin with. Or they perhaps just don't feel close enough to point out flaws etc. And some are just that way for the social wheels to keep moving smoothly & for general decorum, say, in a party with strangers or in the office. Sometimes, we just have to eat our words to keep the situation pleasant. Society is such. So, I think there are a ton of factors involved here.

Plus, it's true that we can't always take negativity well, even if it's a small dose. Eg. Wouldn't we feel hurt if someone laughed at our dreams and told us on our face that we should forget about it. They might be "realistic" in their own way, but that doesn't work for us. We might feel let down. And how many of us would like a "healthy" dose of someone critisizing our cooking. Not many, I guess. In a world full of judgmental people, who are cynical, competitive, and negative, I think for me, sweet, sensitive, thoughtful and optimistic people are very welcome. And it helps, if that sweetness looks genuine! :-)

6:56 AM  
Blogger Keshi said...

lol Casa who was so Saccharine-sweet to ya?


Well I know what u mean...ppl who r sooo sweet to ur face when in real they r not...we all wear masks to survive...imagine if we all showed our real feelings always, how many more bitch fights there will be on this Earth lol!


I usually carry a sweet disposition...it's natural btw, and if some person really deserves it :) But my raw olive-bitterness comes out if someone deserves that too..Im never too hesitant to tell ppl off on their face. I mean whats the point faking it? :)

Keshi.

7:43 AM  
Blogger Jinguchakka said...

I am the 50th person to comment. Do you read all the comments? Just curious. Boz I have seen people who receive a huge # of comments, after a while tend to ignore.
And to your post, I see the saccharine people in large numbers in Marketing. Correct me if I am wrong. I am put off by any hard sell and usually allergic to such persons!
And what movie is the song from? Sounds good.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Jinguchakka said...

Is this from Kaavish? I read your previous posts after commenting on this.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Brood Mode said...

yep i hate pseudo serene/happy/contented ppl too...

2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like am the 53rd human. :D
BTW, I had this 'friend' who would always say "theek hai na" to everything. Got irritated and gave a earful one day!

2:32 PM  
Blogger burf said...

too busy today?

5:09 PM  
Blogger Extempore said...

Oi! Naya post? I will have you know I've refreshed this page a number of times to make sure that I haven't missed one! :-)

5:56 PM  
Blogger sherene said...

Well, this is how I see it - it takes all kinds to make this world :P Even the saccharine sweet type.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Dreamy Eyed Gal said...

hmmm...i like sweet people but just can in NO WAY tolerate artificial ppl...u know the 1s who act as if they r so very wise and they dont EVER do nething wrong but still sm ppl r mad at them...tho they know damn well that they r not as sweet as they pretend to b...and behaving as if they r the 1s who r victimised all the time...AAAARRRGHHH!!!

7:58 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Burf,
Girls... yup :D

Alice,
Haha... happens.

Anthony,
Genuine sweetness, atleast for me, is easily differentiated from fake sweetness.
"Muthi bhar namak Liye ghumte hein duniya, Appna Zakhm dikhaya na kijiye"
This does sound very right though :)

Sanity,
Toffee nut is awesome!

Lancelot,
So... you are an angel? :D

Anshul,
Ah... well... normal people like me are mean :p

9:54 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Bgfs,
Hehehehe... stop looking for gossip :p
How was Lahore?

Bohemia,
"sugar-coated crap" - yup, I dont like reading those either!
Gracias!

Harshi,
Hmmm... looks like we'll have to agree to disagree here. I am usually a very opinionated person, so cynicism and skepticism is part of me actually.

Keshi,
Real feelings or not, over-doing "being nice" is surely something we can do away with.

Jinguchakka,
Hehe... yes I do read and reply to all my comments, and usually within a couple of hours (today happens to be an exception).
The song from Kaavish has been replaced by 'Tinka Tinka' from Karam.

Brood,
Join the club.

10:01 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Rita,
Exactly, sab hamesha theek nahi hai!

Burf,
Yup, wasnt online today.

Extempore,
Day off today... will post tomorrow ;)

Sherene,
Yea I guess that's one way to look at it.

Mysterygal,
Bingo! My sentiments, exactly.

Keshi,
Will hop over to yours in a minute :)

10:03 PM  
Blogger Ar Ar Ar Arrrrr said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:42 PM  
Blogger Ar Ar Ar Arrrrr said...

I dont like artificially sweet, all-is-right-with-the-world people.
Have this guy in ma office...who talks sweet while we all are together and then starts puking behind the back...

Yikessss...I so hate such people...

I liked this post of yours Casa...
Very nicely written!!

10:43 PM  
Blogger Point 5 said...

Is this post directed towards someone in particular ?

By the way Angels do reside in LA Land... Los Angel(e)s . :))

11:33 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Arz000n,
Glad you agree! Totally detest the fake sweetness!

Pointy,
Not in particular...
Good PJ there though ;)

11:50 PM  
Blogger bluegreenflysplat said...

Lahore was beautiful naa, i think im in loooooveeee.

i also think i have withdrawal symptoms.


haan toh tum batao, kya masla hai?

12:01 AM  
Blogger burf said...

cud have sent me an offliner yaar ;)

:D

i wdn't have waited :p

12:37 AM  
Blogger Lancelot said...

absolutely!~!! unfortunately ppl dont blv it cuz i havnt got wings and the halo...

3:45 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Bgfs,
Masala... hmm, some sugar-coated blogs I happen to chance upon ;)
Withdrawl symtoms - totally understandable!

Burf,
Then the unexpected will become an expected ;)

Lancelot,
I thought fairies have wings... angels too? :D

10:55 AM  
Blogger Keshi said...

Casa...the following comment wasnt from me.


***hey I wud like to hear ur views on my latest posts..


if u click on that comment's KESHI link and check, u will see someone has cloned me. There is a keshi-imposter who goes ard leaving comments like me only cos she has nothing better to do in her life...and she has no real identity. She has been doing this over a year now and only God knows why she's not treated at a mental hospital yet.
The only way to check for authenticity of my comments is to click on the KESHi link and check for blogger ID. And this imposter has no blog showing too.


Thanks!
Keshi.

4:06 PM  
Blogger Angelsera said...

Hi,
u seem to me like a very disturbed person in life. u need to get your mental health checked up.

10:10 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Angelsera,
Yes I do need the check up. Do let me know the next time you visit your shrink, I'll tag along :D

10:34 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Thanks Vikram

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aah! this woman is full of venom..angels will go to la la land and some others will stick around you and get poisoned..

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah Angelsera, thats the best advice to give them woman..who emits foul each time she opens her mouth

11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home