Saturday, October 15, 2005

Lost in Translation

An attempt to translate to english, some shaayari I did on 'Arz Kiya Hai'.

You were a thought
A feeling perhaps...
Life was full of questions
You, the answer, perhaps.

Then I woke up
Aware of what is here
Reality, life is
A dream, you were.

Truly lost... in translation.

11 Comments:

Blogger karuna said...

wierd how i recently debated the pros and cons of translation in literature class...
but not really lost.... if its not translated word for word its still makes sense.

2:05 AM  
Blogger Once the Conman said...

Casa... it's beautiful... read both the Hindi and English versions...
The Hindi one's really pretty... but seriously, I prefer the translated version.
It's the thought that's beautiful. The language never matters.
beautifully thought.

3:57 AM  
Blogger totti said...

yup..i think it retains meaning (beauty?) if it is not transliteration.i liked the original better.:)

6:11 AM  
Blogger Anshul said...

There's a difference between a translation and a rewriting. Yours is pretty good since you had the same thought when you started to rewrite.

Just playing around with the last para..

Then I woke up
And reality shone through
It was just a dream
A dream about you.

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, the translation aint bad at all I feel, I mean, trust me things can get much worse (yes! so much for optimism) but seriously, here, atleast the line of thought isnt broken. Which is good.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Dreamy Eyed Gal said...

hmmm...translation's qyt nice actually...the poetic touch has been retained I feel

6:45 PM  
Blogger Dreamcatcher said...

Robert Frost once said "poetry is what is lost in translation".. but this is a pretty nice.

1:01 AM  
Blogger M said...

Hey that was amazing! Marvellous! *gives a round of applause*
=D

9:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm thinking, the songs of Andhi and other old films, translate them , murder them. Similar sentiments here. The English version can't be compared to the Hindi one. Honestly.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Brood Mode said...

hindi version is awesome. this is like a spoof

9:25 PM  
Blogger Shashi Iyer said...

seemed to me like u got lost in the poem. the poem does not!

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home