Cityscape
Its dark and gloomy. Claustrophobic if I may say so. I know there is light outside, there is air outside. But none here. Everything goes by so quickly, diminishing into nothingness. Its all moving fast, but why do I feel like I'm stuck in the same place? I'm beginning to get uncomfortable, and I start counting. 1, 2, 3, 4,....
At the count of 47, the bus finally leaves the long tunnel. Phew. The light, although neon, makes me smile. The air, although polluted, seems refreshing. I look at the city, and then the traffic. And then my watch. The traffic never stands still here, but the crawling speed is even more irritating at times. Atleast for impatient people like me. 2 more busstops, and then I'm off...
It is a bright, busy road. As I alight, I get strange looks. Yes, I am a stranger here. And strangers dont use public transport in a new city. A little disoriented, I look around to get my bearings. Too many signboards and too many people. The brightness of these neon lights is an illusion. They are there to distract you. Distract you from the dilapidation that you would notice if you looked up just that extra minute. But you dont. You know you would see the crumbling walls and the makeshift scaffoldings. But you still dont look.
I make my way to the tram stop. Its not difficult to find. I just had to look for the lines on the road. The simplicity of the system is like a promise which never fails. I get on. Rattling, shaking, moving. It is so out of place. Like a bull in a china shop. Strange isnt it, since it was there in the shop, even before anything else arrived. It used to be the artery. Now, its an antique.
6 minutes and a few shaken bones later, I'm ready to walk. Throngs of people are walking with me. Everyone here seems to be walking with a purpose. Everyone is headed somewhere. Somewhere meaningful. Its the end of the day. End of the week infact. Yet they look excited. There is a certain energy here, which I've not seen or felt before. Everything is on the move. And it moves fast.
The lights outside are bright. 11pm seems like 9. There is no urgency to end the day. Couples, families, loners... all still walking. Still living. Still enjoying the neon illusions. As a child who did not grow up in a big city, I always used to hear from people about the 'buzz' of a metropolitan. Maybe now I wont wonder what that buzz is.
Its 3 in the morning, and the lights are still bright. The taxis are still driving by. The people are still walking. The city is still breathing.
As I wait for dawn... I know - This city never sleeps.


21 Comments:
Beautiful.
Dunno why but reminded me of this line of one of my favorite hindi songs...
Raat Aayi To Woh Jinke Ghar Thhe, woh ghar ko gaye so gaye...
Raat Aayi Toh Hum Jaise Awaara Phir Nikle Raahon mein aur kho gaye...
i havent ever really understood or felt the buzz of a metropolis although i've lived for 90% of my life in one. dunno whether i have always hid from the buzz or the buzz has hid from me... if it exists?
Pretty much thats the reason I love Bombay. The spark of purpose in the air.
The way i feel about NY! i have'nt been out in Bombay. i hear they are the same with teeming crowds.
your mind did not sleep either!
Conman,
You reminded me of a lovely song. Now I'm hooked to it :p
Burf, Anshul, Totti,
I am convinced the buzz exists, in cities like Mumbai, HK, NY et al. Not sure about Delhi though...
Shashi,
Now what is that supposed to mean? :p
Bombay never does sleep...and thats why i love it...
(In my experience Delhi doesn't have the same spunk and rest assured it DOES sleep)
I dont know about any city...but I never seem to sleep !!!!
Karuna... when was the last time you went to Delhi. And please try and meet some rocking people to take you around. Don't stay with your relatives in Karol Bagh and Lajpat Nagar where all the choots stay playing dhik chik dhik chik music in their punju cars and pass judgements on Delhi.
You got no fuckin idea what Delhi's all about.
Well I have been all over the country and spent my 24 years in various cities.From metros to small unheard of paradises and now that I finally came to Mumbai i can say there is no city like it. This city really is one helluva ride. The only other place I am curious to visit is Bangalore but most Bangalorians I know vouch for Mumbai to be THE place. It's alive and kicking.... no matter what time of the day or night. Thats for the vibrancy...
But there is a whole lot more to be learnt from this city too that most of us overlook. The subtle changes that living in this city brings about in our personalities often go unnoticed but in the long run it pays off. I say if you can survive Mumbai you'll be more tolerant towards the hardships than any other place can make you. The sights, sounds and smells of this city are most definitely beyond one's imagination....
Peace out guys =)
Well, I've only visited Delhi and Bombay, and never really lived in either place, so cant say.
But yes, HK sure has a buzz compared to Singapore.
Cant wait to see NY though.
Guys,
With a deep sense of regret i have to announce that due to incessant hiding and hugging, the organisers have decided to close down hugfest 2005. The committee wud like to thank all participants, and would also like to encourage them to continue hugging in their private lives.
However, dont be discouraged. we will soon be coming up with Lovethalon'06, and kissomania'06. Till then , here's wishing you all a happy thanksgiving and a merry christmas.
Jack
(1st executive committee)
note: This is a computer generated message and requires no signature.
Nice post Karuna. My first time here and will definitely visit again.
You write beautifully.
Err.. sorry, Rahul, but I am not Karuna :)
Guess you'll have to read the comments more carefully...
yeah..i would'nt say i found Delhi buzzing. It is kind of coincidental..both bombay and NY are electric and both are economic capitals...and the actual capitals are much calmer and serene..
made me wanna go club hopping!
Yes, quite a coincidence.
HK really is a pulsating city. You can feel its beat.
Yep, HK and Bombay have been likened in more than more instance. I am reading this book "Bombay, meri jaan"...such a feel-good book. This post kinda reminds me of the articles in it. Romanticising a city that is alive, that seems to have a heartbeat.
beautifully written. you have really captured the essence of hk so so well .... it's often kept me awake many nights...wondering whether this city ever sleeps and whether there is ever an end to the work... or the buzz...
I have learnt over the years that there is no end to anything in this city. There are only new beginnings... :)
but honestly, beautifully written! :)
conman - awesome song man... simply amazing.
Princesse,
You are in HK?
yeaaaaap.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home