Friday, September 30, 2005

Lets talk

I wrote about death in my last post, and was surprised at how easily it came to me. Maybe.. easier than writing about life! A friend of mine, A, begins a lot of his conversations with "lets talk about life". We usually spend a lot of time laughing at this suggestion of his, but today, I'll say - yes A, lets talk about life! Lets talk about the unknown and undefined that we keeping searching for in life. Lets talk about our "pillars" in life. Lets talk about the poetry in life.

Is it the greener grass phenomenon? Is the curse of the modern achiever? Is it just one of the missing pillars? Why are we always searching for something in life... the 'something' we ourselves cant clearly pinpoint!
Ok.. enough talk about these damn pillars. Let me explain. Most people around me seem to be in search for some or all of these (or maybe even more) - money, love and peace of mind. And I think for many of us, these are the "pillars" for our ideal world. Ideal. Usually, one of them is missing from our life, and we focus all efforts in chasing it. If I have money, I say I want love. If I have love, I say I want peace of mind. And god help me, if I have all, and still cant figure out what I am missing in life! Is that what they call the X-factor? Not sure...

Ok. Lets not talk about questions we dont have answers to. Lets talk about simpler stuff. About poetry and romance in our everyday lives. And I'm not talking about the mushy-lovey-dovey romance here. I'm talking about the simple yet beautiful moments in our lives... every single day. Moments like the barista at Starbucks wishing me "good morning" no matter what time of the day it is. Like the nepalese security guard of my apartment who asks me in accented hindi, what I had for dinner. Like the bus driver speaking to me completely in cantonese, even though I dont understand a single word. And no, I have no illusions that these people are nice to me because I'm intelligent/beautiful/both. And neither should you. Some people are nice to us, simply because they are nice people! It has nothing to do with how rich or scholarly or talented we are. I can vouch for it... coz I'm not any of those.

There are no queues, or pricey tickets, to the art in our everyday lives.

16 Comments:

Blogger Anshul said...

yeah i know. i want free food. and when i have free food, i want MORE free food...

12:21 AM  
Blogger the cowlick said...

It's the little things that make up smile.. but I guess it's the bigger things that make us really happy. Like family.. or friends.. or love.. or children..

12:26 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

True Cowlick, very well expressed. Yet we shouldnt forget the 'everyday' while working for the bigger things.

12:33 AM  
Blogger Bhavesh said...

hhmm..this can be a long comment but u better read this..!!

first things first..!! was this post meant for me??.. it was almost like u were echoing my thoughts..!!

I ve seen sooo many people like us soooo unsure as to wat we want.. and i ve seen people who ve got nothing soo happy wid there lives... i always wonder.. wat i want outta my life and i never get my answers and i keep wondering...

and i guess in the end the amount of time i wonder makes me unable to appreciate those small things in life dat we should..!!

great post... me in deep thinking..!!

i know this comment was utter buckwas.. but this post of yours has touched some pulse in me..!!

12:49 AM  
Blogger Rohan Kumar said...

Beautiful post abt the smaller and simple pleasures in life which we all forget to enjoy in quest of the bigger better joys. This post reminded me of this post on someone else's blog whose thoughts and writing style I have really come to admire lately. (u can see ur help with the hypelinkin bit hasnt gone waste :) )

12:53 AM  
Blogger M (tread softly upon) said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. And I'm glad Rohan directed you to mine (must thank him) because your post echoes my thoughts and feelings about what the important things in life are. Very nicely written. Will be back.

3:11 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Thanks Justme, the comment wasnt bakwaas, and I did read it fully :)
Glad that others think so too.

Rohan, M,
Thanks :)

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will stop making flippant posts someday; the day, i find the missing X in my life :)

but to kill a cliched line to death and more, the best things in life still continue to be free! And I count my blessings on that!

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always thought that people are nice to me because Am both Beautiful and Intelligent.

J

1:55 PM  
Blogger Eleventy Seven said...

Hmm... 'tea garden' is what comes to mind! It's an interesting concept we invented (me & a friend). Shall do a post on that today me thinks. Had been thinking about it for long.. thanks to your post will finally post it.

Cheers!

2:41 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Saurabh,
Look forward to your post :)

3:21 PM  
Blogger . : A : . said...

Yes, sometimes talking about death is so much easier than talking about life. I had covered the topic a few times a couple of months ago and found writing about it very interesting (in the sense of something new to write about).

5:48 PM  
Blogger Shashi Iyer said...

may be not. don't we know what we want? i think we do. we really do. why then is it easy to write about death rather than life? compromise! we compromise!do we really do what we want to?

p.s.casablanca! now i'm jelous! too good :)

12:18 AM  
Blogger Shashi Iyer said...

typo! jealous!

12:19 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Shashi,
Maybe we know deep down what we want, but are sometimes are scared to admit to it?

11:47 AM  
Blogger Shashi Iyer said...

exactly!

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home