Monday, October 03, 2005

Change It

No. I wont start this post on a philosophical note like a Miss India contestant. So I wont talk of how change is the only constant thing blah blah blah. I'm not even in a mood to take a moral highground and judge if change is good / bad / evil. I just wanna figure out how we, or I, react to change. And it seems very simple to classify reactions 3 ways - either you like change, or you dont like change, or you are indifferent to it. So take a moment.. and figure out which one of them is you.
Done?

Now here's the problem - I fall into all of those categories!
And that aint easy, my friend!

There are some things where monotony sets in too quickly for me. I cant do the same routine stuff at my job. I cant eat the same food every day. And I cant wear the same clothes every week (ok, that might have some other explanation, but we'll let that be for now). I want something different.. something fresh. Everyday.

But then there are those aspects of my life, where I just detest change. So much so, that even if the change is for "good", I just hate the idea of something changing. Relationships, friendships, friends, people. I wish they would always stay the way they are. But people do change, dont they? I changed, didnt I? Infact sometimes when I meet people after a few years, they always point out "You've changed so much!". And I find myself asking, was I supposed to remain the same? But then again, maybe I'm a hypocrite.

I was certain there wouldnt be anything that would place me in the third category, but surprisingly, there are some changes to which even this control-freak is indifferent to (gosh, life couldnt be more confusing!). I'm not gonna start listing those.. but take my word for it.

Too many times when I try to figure myself out, I hit a roadblock. And I just explain to myself, well.. we are complex people. Its not all black and white. Its mostly shades of grey. But I'm beginning to think I've over-used that explanation. There's got to be more than that.

Dont you agree? What's your excuse?

15 Comments:

Blogger totti said...

Simple and fair. You really stuck to your promise of not taking the philosophical high road. Some of my big decisions were born out of inertia. I don't like to acknowledge it though. I come up with alternative excuses to support them. Like "Why grad studies?". I say," World peace and harmony!" .

11:09 PM  
Blogger Bhavesh said...

hhmm.. u r not d only one... i think almost all of us react to change in all 3 ways..!!

11:30 PM  
Blogger Anshul said...

There is no roadblock as soon as you realize that change isn't about right and wrong. That binary good or bad decision gets you stuck because you have to assume one way sucks and the other doesn't, but in life both sides usually have good and bad points.

Change is about creation, creating the way you live your life. The difference is simple - you do not have to insist that one thing has precedence over another. You just create what you did because its more you, and no other reason is required.

12:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well my answer was "depends on the situation"!! cos it really does. if it was a comfort zone thingummy, something i enjoyed, i'd resist change.otherwise not. if it meant that one person i dont care about is gonna be shifted to the next cabin and another person i dont care about is gonna be seated next to me instead....i wouldnt care! for that matter, it's not possible to give yes/no answers to ANYTHING, is it?lol....the easiest answer is a non-chalant "depends"

12:45 AM  
Blogger Once the Conman said...

Tell ME about it!!!!

2:21 AM  
Blogger Rohan Kumar said...

You sound like the regular person with very common traits and I think the way u react is how most of us do in real life. Ppl who like all kinda changes are the watever happens, happens for the good types, ppl who detest all changes are rigid and ppl who are indifferent to all changes have simply stopped caring abt life in general. So stop trying to slot urself into just any one of those categories and trying to come up with 'excuses' for the way you are :)

8:15 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Totti,
World peace and harmony seems like the best possible reason to me. Must use it sometime myself ;)

Justme, Sunshine, Rohan,
Yes I suppose all of us are this way, and our reactions depend on a thousand factors.

Anshul,
But accepting changes in ourselves is far easier than accepting changes in others, right?

Conman,
Nice to see you back.

Ravi,
That makes you a normal person :)

10:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Can you repeat the question? ;)

11:26 AM  
Blogger Keshi said...

hehe I think I like Change when it's positive, don't like it when it's negative, indifferent to it when it's effect is neutral...:)

Keshi.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Arroclint said...

change positive and negative is a good thing... kills the monotony of life. if theres no change then all we are is just machines slaving to the grind. change is what makes a humans. if u put change in the animal kingdom, the buggers go extinct!

2:32 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Jupiter,
Question shall not be repeated. Kindly adjust ;)

Keshi,
Nice to see you here :)

Clint,
But somethings should not change, coz we need some stablity in life as well, dont we?

4:47 PM  
Blogger Arroclint said...

depends on which way u look at it... stability isnt the most exciting road though life is it? its the constant change that makes life worth living. Catch 22, commin to think of it.

7:22 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Hmmm.. maybe catch 22. Maybe a bit of both worlds. *sigh* Is that asking for too much?

8:24 PM  
Blogger the cowlick said...

As someone said here, I think we all fall into all three categories. If it's a small change, some of us make it willingly. If it requires heavy-duty relocation, some of us don't like to leave our comfort zone and venture out into the world again, unguarded and unqualified. Some of us know we don't take to change nicely, therefore we make an extra effort to do new things as they come along juist to break the habit. Basically, it depends on circumstances..

7:08 PM  
Blogger Shashi Iyer said...

let me just say this. i'm ok with change only as long as i'm doing the right things, right according to my rational consciousness

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home