Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Ek akela is shaher mein...

Gee has tagged me to list my 5 favourite things to do in my city. I will go with my adopted one, Singapore:

1 - Taking a bumboat ride down the Singapore river at dusk. It is a very touristy activity, but when the boat enters the open bay and the wind teases your hair, it is very very charming.

2 - Breakfast on sunday morning, especially making our awesome stuffed omelettes, and devouring them with Jupiter while we bitch about the world at large.

3 - Hanging out with friends at the City Hall Starbucks and discussing and debating inconsequential matters for hours at end.

4 - Saturday evenings with cocktails, a live band and old-world charm at Chijmes, a 103 year old church which is as classy even as a night spot.

5 - Being in an airconditioned taxi or bus or even a restaurant with skylight, absorbing the tropical sunlight while not feeling hot as ever.


Well, that was fun, and given that both Gee and Aristera have taken the liberty to do the tag for two of their cities, I'll follow in their footsteps and list 5 of my favourite things to do in one of my favourite cities - Hong Kong:

1 - Taking a ride down to Stanley, and sitting on the rocks there with myself, my music and my book, with the sea infront and the sun in my eye.
2 - Taking a tram ride around the Island, all the way from Kennedy Town to Happy Valley... slowly moving along while looking and pondering and dreaming.
3 - Hanging out at Insomnia at Lan Kwai Fong, and chit-chatting with everyone there including the bartender, the waitresses and the bouncers.
4 - Shopping at the small shops in Causeway Bay, and hearing the salespersons welcome me and thank me in cantonese, again and again.
5 - Standing at the vista point on The Peak and looking down at the cluttered, crowded city, and still love it for no particular reason.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I forget you dont exist,
I still go looking for you
in the crevices of memory


I regret that I still believe,
that the storm will calm down
while I sit around quietly


You mock my poetry
because you are a better poet
paid in compliments, word for word.


I wont photograph
because so many are better
and I feel juvenile, for trying


I wont talk so much
for you have all the right words
and I have nothing left.


But can I just live,
even though you are doing
a far better job of it?

23 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay Im platinummmmmm! No palladium! no Titanium!

----------------------------------

That was thoroughly charming mah dear.. start to finish..

and yayy i am a favorite! :D

11:22 AM  
Blogger aparna said...

i like the poem :)

Yeah i loved stanley too. I would often go there and sit on the rocks with a book and take-away coffee from Delifrance :) And walk through the lanes and by-lanes... beautiful beautiful place...

1:02 PM  
Blogger P said...

Never having been to either of the cities...am suitably impressed and interested! :)
Love the poem btw!

2:35 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Jupiter,
Will you stop playing your games. Someone might sue us for slander ;)
And of course you are a favourite... more out of, err, habit? :p

Aparna,
Strange how we never bumped into each other. I used to go there even during the winters, and warm my toes in the sunlight, and shop for trinkets later :)

PI,
Experience them for yourself, I say!

3:37 PM  
Blogger once again said...

arey, wtf I posted a comment.

*hmph* just disappeared into tranquility.

- sigh - I repeat !!!

I loveeddd yer poem [pome!?], especially the last two stanza's.

very well written casa !!!

and m gonna do the tag too :)

3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice poem... so shopping only makes an appearance at #4 for just one of the two cities? ;)

4:23 PM  
Blogger Canary said...

hey.. i came bak to chek ur blog after so many ages.. and find the same sweet poetry all over it.. :)

8:32 PM  
Blogger A and A said...

Wah! Wah! Ab mera tag kar!! Now!! Now!! :)

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ms. Chinese Wall,
By any chance do you hail from the IIMs? (in ref. to your comment on previous post)

Is good poetry a requisite in banking?

11:43 PM  
Blogger Jinguchakka said...

Each city has it's character. Each city molds its citizens too! You can tell a Mumbai'ite from a Delhi'ite, for example.
Poetry replenishes the soul. Good one.

12:41 AM  
Blogger karuna said...

aren't you just lucky to have so many cities to call your own...
It sounds like fun, its always the little things :)

2:06 AM  
Blogger By Deepa and Supriya said...

I agree with Karuna, it's always the little things! I think happiness and life have a lot to do with attitude, nice to see that u have attitude, go girl!

3:44 AM  
Blogger the cowlick said...

Have taken notes on what all to do when I'm in Singapore or HK. I envy your fondness for cities, though.. I don't think I've ever been attached to any city in the world like you are.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Brat (previously known as Once Again),
Thanks for the compliments.
And do the tag... I am guessing it will include Goa along with Mumbai? :)

Anshul,
We use shopping as a filler my dear, when we dont find other things to do :)

Canary,
You are being really kind. And do keep coming back then :)

WT,
See your tag asks for 8 things about me... this lists 10 things about me and my cities. So technically, it can fulfill your tag also, no ;)

Urbanpro,
No I'm not from an IIT or an IIM... and that is why I said there are too many of them. We simple people are being overrun ;)
And good poetry cant be a requisite to a banking job. How do you think I work in a bank :p

Jingu,
Oh, dont start the delhi vs mumbai debate here. No no, dont. It is dangerous territory :p

Karuna,
Well if you put it that way, yes I love that I can feel at home in atleast 3 different cities :)

Orchid,
Thank you my dear!

Cowlick,
What to do, we are like that wonly!
I get extremely attached to places and people alike :)

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wud it be completely out of place to ask for pics of the redone living rm? we're dying to seeee :D

3:27 PM  
Blogger A and A said...

NO!

6:28 PM  
Blogger livinghigh said...

am actually plannin on a southeast asia trip next yr, come feb or march. ;-) was keen on bangkok, n den the coup happened. but a lotta ppl say that spore is sooob sterile. wat say, loyal soldier?
;-)

7:36 PM  
Blogger educatedunemployed said...

So now I know what to do in Singapore and Hong Kong..er.but what about the omlets.

Hey what is with the comparison.You live life your way and that is the only way to do it.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Jinguchakka said...

Oh! I'd love that Delhi-Mumbai debate. I am a Chennaiite, you see. :-)

1:09 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

P,
Coming up soon :)
ps: who is "we"?

WT,
Grrr... okokok, next post will be your tag :p

LH,
Singapore is definitely more tame than Bangkok, but I'd say its not bad for a nice holiday, as long as you know the right places to hang out.
Otherwise, go to HK... one of my favourite places to party :)

EU,
Oh well, the omelettes and the accompanied bitching is an experience to be had... come join us sometime :)

Jingu,
Yes I know :p

10:20 AM  
Blogger Chitra said...

Poignant...and something I can identify with :)!

1:14 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Chitra,
Thanks :)

2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very simple and really very nice poetry... good

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home