Thursday, July 06, 2006

Send the Ambulance. I need help.

I firmly believe that shopping for clothes, to match an accessory, is a sure sign of shopping disorder. Said person needs help.

In cash.
*gulp*
First, I bought a Tommy Hilfiger watch. The most expensive watch I've ever bought for myself, my only justification being that is it a scarf watch. What be that, you ask? That be a very sexy, very cute, very lust-worthy watch which has a scarf to tie it around, instead of a strap. Very fancy, I am sure you agree. The scarf is a pretty white and black, and the decision to shell out 200 bucks was made in less than 2 minutes. My friend shouted "decadence" as I was paying the bill. I promptly ignored him.
Then, I went hunting for a skirt to match this watch. Which I found. Today. During lunchtime. I spent 5 minutes packing a sandwich, and 2 minutes picking up a pretty white-and-black skirt. OMG! Did I just shop clothes to match accessories? Damn it!
The little voice inside me reminded me that this wasnt the first time, so I could go easy on the drama and guilt trip. Apparently, I bought another white-and-green skirt yesterday, to match my very classy green leather sandals purchased in Hong Kong. I plead temporary insanity or amnesia, whichever sounds more convincing.
As if lunchtime shopping wasnt bad enough, I have now being lured into tea time shopping. 330pm. I walk to Spinelli's to get my afternoon shot of caffeine. It is an evil plan to place an entire mall between me and Spinelli. I see. I walk in. I buy. A pair of shorts, and a black polo tee. No, I didnt need either. But they were on sale. Someone help me.

And dont even get me started on shopping for home. Yes, I am headed to India for a week. Flight leaves tomorrow evening. I have obviously not packed yet. Because I have obviously not shopped yet. That is scheduled for tonight. Gadgets for home, skincare for the mother, food for the sister, chocolates for the neighbour's kid, and clothes for the niece. Yes, something strangely exciting about buying clothes for a 3 month old. They are so uber-cute! And cheap too.

The most challenging part though, is rounding up all the shopping for home which I have already done over the last 1 year. And now I dont even remember where in my house they reside. Trinkets from my US holiday, shopping from HK, and even a sari for mom dear from my Bangalore sojourn.

Shopping woes apart, I am keeping crazy busy wrapping up work in office. Tomorrow is my last day in this team. A hundred things to do, forms to sign, handover documents to be completed. A good pile of hardcopies have been gobbled by the shredder and the recycle bin. It is strangely empowering to shred loads of paper concerning loads of projects. Either that, or, I am just weird. *scratches head*

I have been watching a lot of SATC these days. And it always makes me think. And then I end up hypothesising, philosophising and discussing with the housemate. Yesterday, I hypothesised that maybe we shy away from asking the right questions, is because we are too afraid to not find the answer. We are the generation which is obsessed with finding anwers to everything. Everytime. Maybe that is our curse. We all matured too much, too early. We take on too many responsibilities. At 25, my Dad had studied more than I have, had a salary far lesser than I do, and was more satisfied with his life than I will ever be. Ironical, isnt it?

36 Comments:

Blogger Ekta said...

Aha well!
Ur a normal girl casa...thank god for it!
Its me whose abnormal!..I usually shop only when I need to!!:-)...
Whoeever heard a woman shopping based on need...especially when it comes to shoes!!!!
But I must say...shopping for skirts based on accesories is a brave effort...Maybe u shld go one step ahead and match the lingerie as well..hah!..wat say;-)
p.s:-i loved the idea of the watch with a scarf..I want one too!!!!

4:28 PM  
Blogger educatedunemployed said...

I hypothesised that maybe we shy away from asking the right questions, is because we are too afraid to not find the answer.

I am not sure in what context that is, but I find that a lot of people shy away from asking the right question, because they don't want to know the right answer.

INSANITY!!! Insanity is what you should be pleading for.That would be by far the most convincing :p

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey you have SATC. Me wants. Pass it over.

5:11 PM  
Blogger dr.jinxed said...

very sexy, very cute, very lust-worthy watch eez sounding very very tempting..lets see if i can resist the temptation to bust bank account in the near future.
and nevermind the drama/guilt trip..indulge away,lady..you can always think up reasons to justify it later on

5:12 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Ekta,
You must side with the sisterhood... stop shopping only out of need. You are becoming one of them :p
But if the shoes and watches cost far more than the skirts and tops, it makes sense, no?

EU,
Firstly, I would have you understand that I am NOT insane :p
Secondly, I agree that we sometimes dont want to know the answer. Or if we know it, we dont want to admit to it being present.

Ritwik,
I do. But what is in it for me? ;)

Jinxed,
Oh it is, it is! Drool-worthy, I assure you. Google for Tommy H scarf watches and you'll know what I mean!

5:17 PM  
Blogger San said...

ooh that was quick!

I don't think I ever bother shopping for accessories - I'm so lazy when it comes to stuff like that. But shopping for a skirt to match your watch :) lol cute

Talking of watches i so wanted an armani watch 2-3 years back, ususally i just buy things don't do the shopping around if i like i buy but don't know why i never got tha watch something always ca,e up and money would go .. and now tehy changed the watch style :(

think thats one of my regerts :(

I hypothesised that maybe we shy away from asking the right questions, is because we are too afraid to not find the answer.

or maybe we are to scared to deal with the answers

ah sex in the city used to rock .. sighs desperate housewives is just taht - desperate viewing!

5:29 PM  
Blogger Ekta said...

Nope...have realised am just way too lazy to bother abt matching accessories!!!
And I just find it an extra burden to bother abt shoes, clothes, watches, ear rings..blah blah..too many things for my little brain....:-))

5:44 PM  
Blogger A and A said...

I will NOT make any commments about your shopping but instead jus' say that I hope you have a good trip home! :)

7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll make sure you will get the S from a friend of mine ;)

8:58 PM  
Blogger Jinguchakka said...

How long will be your stay in India?
I guess you would come up with a post regarding how your relatives start talking abt your marriage.

11:45 PM  
Blogger Dreamcatcher said...

Oh its perfectly normal I believe to match clothes with clothes. I have shopped for a skirt to go with fabulous ear rings and shoes my sis got me. Besides if you have the perfect outfit it always makes you feel confident and good about yourself, not to feel guilty.

1:51 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

San,
That is why my dear, you should grab it when you see it. All the stuff that I like and dont buy always run out by the time I decide to go for them :(
And yes, SATC rocks... and I dont mind watching it again :)

Ekta,
Oh well, atleast you have a husband to bother about. Forget the accessories then :D

WT,
A very wise decision there :p
Thanks!

Ritwik,
Oh yeah, I forgot I would have to send a request through you, for that :p

Jingu,
A week. And no marriage talk for me... I still have an elder sibling, who is yet to get married.

DC,
I feel saner, since I aint the only one :D

10:27 AM  
Blogger Anand said...

Casa,
When u get married please do take a crash course for ur to-be-husband on the "importance of matching accessories with dresses"...else there is no way in the world..any guy will EVER understand(forget relate) to this!!

Love you wifey for this..muwwaah!

10:40 AM  
Blogger Keshi said...

goshh whoever said that? I even shop for clothes to match mah shoes or even earrings...hello anyone's got a prob with that??

Keshi.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Neer said...

SHOPPING!!! and scrouging those shops alone!! window shopping!! its just relaxes me...!! hail shopping girls! :) and incidentally singapore is fav destn for shopping!!

cool "writing on the wall" !!

5:40 PM  
Blogger KM said...

ur crazy!
lol...making my presense felt babe!
and i totally understand ur shopping fetish!

7:16 PM  
Blogger totti said...

did you know..casablanca.blogspot.com exists!!!

12:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lot of good things last few weeks.

Well, we also match our shirts and pants according to our accessories. But, I don't think you have the same set for a couple of years... Do you?

7:12 AM  
Blogger Raghav said...

ha ha ha.. typical or not, but a great read. My GF will love this post. Keep 'em coming

4:19 PM  
Blogger Zii said...

you......first buy an outrageous watch and THEN you find a skirt to match with it? girls!

11:43 PM  
Blogger jhantu said...

keep on with the shopping binge, im all for it and let not mundane money matters matter too much to you

12:12 PM  
Blogger Kanthi Kiran said...

ayyo ..no song :(

4:18 PM  
Blogger Prerona said...

I havent shopped in AGES!

1:57 PM  
Blogger Chitra said...

It's called the waahs (/woes) of shopping :D!

4:04 PM  
Blogger Just Jane said...

Nice post and also to meet yet another member of SAS (Shopaholic Anonymous Sisters)! Came over from Virdi's blog. Have visited briefly earlier but first comment prompted by this post!

3:56 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Anand,
Ooooh, but I am totally okay with my guy not relating to it. Doesnt have to understand everything I do, no?

Aris,
Sensible or not, the watch has been getting a lot of compliments! *grins*
And dahling, they are Manolo's! They are so worth it!
And next time someone asks you to be grounded, ask them not to get jealous ;)

Keshi,
Another one of my kind, I see :)

Khizzy,
Nice to have your presence here, even if it is to call me crazy :D

Totti,
I am sure it does.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

SS,
Oh well, my clothes do last for more than a couple of years. Whether I still wear them after so long, is another question ;)

Neers,
Nooooo... my fav shopping paradise is Hong Kong! You've gotta see it to believe it!

Raghav,
You will soon realise, there is nothing typical about this blog. Its more moody than me ;)

Zii,
Tsk tsk... the watch is NOT outrageous. It is sexy and unique :p

Jhantu,
Not money matters, but soon I'll have to worry about storage matters. The cupboard cant take it anymore :(

Kanthi,
Totti's bro, eh? And the song does work. It is 'Dil Chahta Hai' currently.

Prerona,
Remedy that, my dear. Immediately!

Chitra,
Or, getting rid of the guilt by blogging about it ;)

Chosen One,
If this post prompted a comment, then I take it that you are a senior member of SAS ;)

2:09 PM  
Blogger alice said...

whoa...u must be really rich gal....

4:17 PM  
Blogger GuNs said...

On paper, my first salary was 100 times that of my dad's first salary. Wonder why hes worked for 30 years non-stop and I'm fed up within this first year of working. I agree, money has nothing to do with satisfaction or happiness.

Spend all you like if it makes you happy. Your bank account will be replenished every month but not your happiness counter. All the little things in life that bring joy, lets all do them more often.

2nd trip to India in 2 months? Wow
-PeAcE
--WiTh
---GuNs

5:34 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Alice,
Oh, I wish I were. I am just someone who is a compulsive shopper :(

Guns,
Well the previous trip to India was for work. This is a holiday to visit parents and rest at home.

Vikram,
That is perfectly okay, my dear. I never shop labels for 'value for money'. But sometimes, when you find something so attractive as that watch, you just dont care how much it costs, no? ;)

12:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Satisfaction has a direct dependance on ambition. There were people in our father's generation who had more than we'll ever have and were still unsatisfied and visa versa. Just that now the median of people who have high ambitions is pretty high. The standard deviation is still the same (i.e. we still have only 1% of population who are 50% or more ambitious than the current mean).

Too much wine.

./w

8:53 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

W,
Haha... even after all that wine, you do seem to make mathematical sense.
Do I sense an engineer who is a poet too? Deadly combo ;)

7:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deadly combo for what? :)

I have survived my life this way for more than 5 years now!

./w
ps: the word verification for this post is 'jaqkyl' :)

8:41 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Deadly combo of emotions... a confluence of rational and irrational sides, isnt it :)

And yes, we all survive being the many people we are.

12:29 AM  
Blogger Deets said...

the green leather sandals struck a chord. i too, bought a skirt last month to match my green sandals. ouch. maybe it's the colour green?

12:54 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Deets,
Excuses, excuses, excuses ;)

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home