Thursday, April 27, 2006

Arbit Journal entry

Recuperating from flu. Have been working from home for 2 days. Hopefully will be back in action tomorrow.

Might be too tired to work from office, but never too tired for ideological debates or discussions on history and human evolution. The elitist kind, where you pretend to know more about everything than you possibly can. Where you seem to have an explanation to justify any behaviour or social pattern. Where you talk. And listen. And rationalise.

The chinese race. Timid, sincere, hardworking. Not meant for activism, most of the time. A good business sense, though. The present generation had roots in communist China, and probably had a generation living the great famine and suppression of the Mao rule. To them, anything seems better than that society. An authoritarian democracy of Singapore. Being on the wrong side of the 'Bhumiputra' advantage in Malaysia. Outright discrimination in Indonesia. Yes, it still seems better than what their forefathers faced. Maybe that is why they dont revolt. They dont protest. They work. Because that's what they have done for generations. And for once, they can see the fruits of it.

We went ahead and dissected all other races, but I wont go into detail. Suffice to say, that it was a long time since I got into such a discussion, and it was refreshing. Two things that I want to jot down right now, which will remain in my head for a long to come:
- Not everyone is meant for activism
- Rebels without a cause, something I dont like
Couldnt agree more. Thanks aristera, for putting these the way you did in some long forgotten post of yours.

Note to self: I want to study anthropology some day.

17 Comments:

Blogger burf said...

take care

1:18 PM  
Blogger Mr. J said...

Chinese, definitely hard working. If you are hungry in the middle of the night, some chinese restaurant would be open some where.

And i've been contemplating reading that book, The road to democracy or something like that, about SG.

Get well soon.

2:18 PM  
Blogger A and A said...

Arbit comment to complement arbit journal entry! :p

2:45 PM  
Blogger Dreamcatcher said...

get well soon.

10:02 PM  
Blogger babelfish said...

boo to the flu, get well soon you :D

10:15 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Burf, DC, Babel,]
Thanks. Much better now :)

Me,
Yes, sincere and hardworking they sure are. And the SG model of democracy is quite unique.. worth a read, I'd say.

Wishful,
Creepy hands have nothing to write? I dont believe it :p

11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get well soon! Take care :)

11:17 AM  
Blogger littlecow said...

Ah! Anthropology! I never thought I loved history, or anthropology for that matter, until long past the day when I graduated out of 12th class. And that, despite the fact that I would finish off the history text book right after the english text books the day new books were purchased. Its the stories. And I love hearing stories as much as spinning yarns and telling them!

Reading history puts things in perspective. Afterall, we moved out of africa only about 70,000 years ago. That is peanuts! (Thats from a National Geographic article from a few months back - do you read NG? Its wonderful for any history/anthropology/nature lover)

It gives a sense of great calm to know about our past, as if learning about history makes amends for mistakes done in the aeons gone by, as if lessons from the past will be utilized to tread the right paths in the future.

And anthropology affects in a similar manner except that you feel closer to the people themselves rather than the events of their lives. It is reassuring to know about the variety, about responses they make to given situations, about their evolution and growth, about maturity, intelligence, compassion and even love. Sometimes I wonder if we are being high handed in being curious about races of people - grouping them and scrutinizing their actions as scientists do to animals. But then, it is also a humbling thought as we are infact no different!

All fascinating...

ps: Yet another comment that is longer than the blog itself? Dubious indeed... but then, what do we care about dubious reputations?!

11:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Now imagine dissecting our race..
reams won't suffice to account for the damned discrepancies

11:41 AM  
Blogger Ekta said...

Hey casa,
Like you analysis of the chinese race and quite agree with it...adding..also...wary, a doers and not thinkers!

11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

howz u feelin now?

12:00 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

SS,
Thanks. Almost recovered :)

Littlecow,
It is strange, how we never appreciated history as much in school, as we do now. Perhaps they should teach it differently? And yes, I do try and watch NG whenever they arent showing animals copulating. Not a big animal-lover you see :p
And long comments are always welcome. Pliss to not delete :)

Jupiter,
Oh we did that too. But since brevity cant be associated with any discussion of the indian race, I decided to leave it off the blog.

Ekta,
Yup, to a great extent they are.

Godo,
Much better. Thanks.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Extempore said...

Hey! I hope you're feeling better now... few things as miserable as having the flu. But few things perk you up as well as a good debate. Be happy to give you the links to a similar line of thinking - it'll go down culture theory and anthropology. Let me know.

Also, was quite happy to read the "Rebels without a cause" portion of your post. Aristera was quoting me! *big, big grin*

p.s. Mail nahin check kiya aapne?

3:59 PM  
Blogger Zii said...

happy anthropology!

5:48 PM  
Blogger educatedunemployed said...

Did you just take a post out or am I going mad?

1:12 AM  
Blogger Jinguchakka said...

Why did you delete your post? People who know about the people you wrote, making you uncomfortable?

1:32 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Extempore,
Oh, I was wondering how come such words of wisdom came from Aristera ;)
PS: Well just checked mail now... dont check that one so regularly. Pliss to adjust ;)

Zii,
:)

EU, Jingu,
Sorry had to delete it. Suddenly realised it was not a very safe post.

1:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home