Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Where do we go now?

Expectations are tricky. Especially when you complain about the expectations others have of you, only to realise that you too have expectations for yourself. It really is a lose-lose situation. Is blood really thicker than water? Do I have an obligation to fulfil the family's expectations, simply because they are family? And do I have to feel guilty if I dont, just because I have expectations from myself, of meeting my family's expectations?

Trying to keep the confusion aside. I am, who I am. You are, who you are. And sometimes, there really is no meeting point, midway.

------------------------------------------------------

Inane conversations are sometimes fun. Your messenger or chat log tells you that you have been chatting for a good 1 hour. Yet if someone were to ask you what you were discussing, you'd have no reply. But that's fine, isnt it? Not every conversation needs to have a purpose. Not everything needs to have a direction. Sometimes, you just flow along. Meandering. Lazily. Happily.

------------------------------------------------------

Who says space isnt important? Yes I've grown up in a small house with 2 other siblings, but that was childhood. Now, I cant read my email if someone else happens to be looking at the same screen. I cant talk on the phone, if someone else is in the same room. I've become a bit of a loner. And though I might get acclimatized in some time, right now I could do with space. I could do with people being more understanding about letting me be.

18 Comments:

Blogger aknowkneemoose said...

Yes, yes! I agree!

And I too hate it when people want to see who it is I am chatting with, which blog it is that I'm reading... whether I blog at all or I don't :p

The solution to these pesky people is to have the maximum possible resolution on your monitor :p

Currently, it is 1280x1024 on a 15-inch monitor... but my favourite is 1600x1200 on a 19-inch one :D

Not everything needs to have a direction. Sometimes, you just flow along.

So true, I say!

The title of the post from "Sweet Child O' Mine"?

2:45 PM  
Blogger burf said...

an hour????

i thougth it was just 8 minutes 33 seconds :p

:D

4:52 PM  
Blogger dr.jinxed said...

expectations-the single most complicated,most confounded word in the dictionary..occasionally(emphasis on occasionally),the smartest thing is to ditch all responsibility except to yourself

5:12 PM  
Blogger educatedunemployed said...

Totally understand about space.Talk about looking at the same screen, I'd have issues if people were any where in the room.I need my space so bad.
Family-expecatations-you, is a tricky one.I've learnt my way around.Im sure you will too.

5:16 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Moose,
The resolution doesnt matter. I just dont feel like typing if someone is watching. Even if they cant read it.
PS: Yup, got the title from there.

Burf,
Stop dreaming. Who is talking about you anyway :p

Jinxed,
Yes I think occasionally we need to do that. Otherwise, neither us, nor others, will be happy.

EU,
You've learnt your way around? Okay, I'll have to learn. Sigh.

5:19 PM  
Blogger Jinguchakka said...

You went to be left alone when mailine/talking with others, right? That doesn't make you a loner. Just a private person you are.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Point 5 said...

Yeah, those expectations kill u....they make u behave in a way in which u normally wouldn't

10:38 PM  
Blogger FlyingHigh said...

The last part is my story, small house, 2 siblings, cant stand when ppl stare at my monitor, need space...

Expectations..I have a sleepy conscience, dont feel as guilty as I probably should :)

Have been a regular visitor here, first time commenting though..love the way you put across ur thoughts! :)

11:01 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Jingu,
Hmmm, I wish people would understand that.

Pointy,
Exactly! And then you no longer feel like doing things you would have done for someone otherwise.

Shradha,
Well now I've lived alone for a couple of years, and so it irritates all the more.
And thanks for the compliments :)

12:12 AM  
Blogger bluegreenflysplat said...

i'm full tired today, and i can't read te post, but i'm too tired, maaf kijiye. i just wanted to say thank you thank you thank you for the song!

:D

2:42 AM  
Blogger ligne said...

expectations? AT some point I realized.. whether i was disappointing people or making them proud.. I was really doing waht i wanted..even if it came in the form, oh my parents expect this of me!

inane conversations?
I realize I have been talking to a person for a long time..and yet we both know nothing about each other..:(

space is clearly the most underrated thing..I don't just mean space to be alone.. space ot have our own thoughts, idea.. places to go..

2:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*Assuming you are not looking at the same screen*

Stay there!

8:49 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Aristera,
Why? It isnt such a difficult concept to grasp, is it?

Bgfs,
Yup, now the jukebox even plays songs on request. Nice, no? :)

Ligne,
Sometimes we dont know exactly what we want, na?

SS,
:)

9:35 AM  
Blogger the cowlick said...

And what about our expectations from people to not expect anything from us? If we're talking about freedom to be, then maybe we should also let people be free to judge and expect. It doesn't have to affect us, but they should be free to do what they want. And if they want to expect and judge, then so they must.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Hey, thanks for showing the other side of the coin. It does makes sense. Yup, I should let them be. I should be okay with unfulfilled expectations, instead of wanting people to expect only what I can live up to. Thanks... good stuff :)

10:57 AM  
Blogger the cowlick said...

I'm the last person who should've said that, so exasperated I get with judgements and expectations from me 24x7...but it is an interesting thought.

11:43 AM  
Blogger Chitra said...

In other words, you are completely normal :) !

11:55 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Cowlick,
Yes it is. Its a very good way to look at the other side and be more objective about the situation.

Chitra,
So I'm not the only one, eh? :)

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home