Friday, April 07, 2006

Beauty and the beast

I'll say it as it is. Very bluntly. Good-looking people get on my nerves, sometimes.

Allow me to explain.

Sometime back I read a blog post which suggested that a blogger's frequency of posting is directly proportional to his or her ugliness. I smiled wryly. What else could I do? Given that I post almost everyday, any defence would sound like a desperate attempt to prove that I am, infact, not ugly. And like quicksand, I will just sink deeper and deeper. The blogger explained that since ugly bloggers cant attract people in real life, they take comfort in the numerous comments they get on their blogs. Insecure, ugly, regular bloggers.

Oh well. A little naive, if you ask me. But then. To each his own.

And then I read another post which claims that good-looking bloggers get more hits and more comments, by virtue of being good-looking, and not by virtue of their writing skills. So apparently a lot of us visit blogs because of the pretty profile picture in the sidebar and not much else. Hmmm. Amusing. Good-looking, regular, popular bloggers, them.

But I cant stop wondering... are we, the plain-jane bloggers, insecure? Or is it the good-looking bloggers, who cant stop analysing and over-analysing their popularity and its dependence on their good looks, who are insecure? The ones who cant stop talking about their appearance or stop obsessing about it? The ones who believe that they get more hits because of their picture, and can 'live with that'? Really. I've seen enough bloggers writing under the cover of anonymity yet being extremely popular. And I've seen enough dashing or pretty bloggers getting trashed on their blogs.

So really. Dont let a supposed reason for your popularity lead to you becoming unpopular.

As for us lesser mortals, I'll order paper bags for us to cover our ugly faces.

40 Comments:

Blogger ~RAUL~ said...

y no new songs ? :( :(
NST has to do her job properly !!!

And no comments abt this post :p :p

5:51 PM  
Blogger aknowkneemoose said...

Hmmm. Perhaps we must get Steven Levitt to carry out a study on the beauty of bloggers and the number of hits :p

I've read 'Freakonomics' (not the entire book) and it's pretty amusing. It is also interesting to see all the correlations that the author finds when he has all the data he wants.

But yes, if there was a pretty face to go with the blog, I'm sure it would generate a lot of hits.

Paper bags to cover our faces? Ha ha ha... Get me a HUUUUUUUGE one. Coz the antlers are gonna be in the way :p

5:54 PM  
Blogger Ekta said...

*As for us lesser mortals, I'll order paper bags for us to cover our ugly faces.*

One extra paper bag for me too pls!...

5:57 PM  
Blogger aknowkneemoose said...

Hey, Casa... when I visited your page, there were no comments at all. I was tempted to do my 'blend in with the rest' gig, but I resisted it :D Just thought I'd tell you :)

And who says you're a 'plane-jane' blogger? You're superb, I say! :) Yeggzellent! :)

Also... Waiter rant (http://waiterrant.net) is a blog by a person without his face. The number of comments his posts garner... I haven't ever seen on any other blog!

But then if you are still interested, your IB lady (Jups) and you can hire Mr Levitt to conduct a study on bloggers. What you think? ;)

5:58 PM  
Blogger aknowkneemoose said...

...and I've been wanting to ask... what's 'NST'? As the 'official blog-stalker', I think I ought to know! :D

(and please, don't say anything about the number of comments in the number of hours (minutes, rather)!)

6:01 PM  
Blogger aknowkneemoose said...

Whoops... when I said 'a person without his face', I meant his picture ain't on the blog :p Not to be misconstrued! :D

6:02 PM  
Blogger Jinguchakka said...

First you start with saying that good looking people get on your nerves and then go elsewhere!
The second blog you refer to, I read it. But first one takes the cake.
Hey, don't you know why after blogging for quite some time, I still do with a measly number of comments? Because I am way too good looking, duh? LOL
Pray tell me how the people find out that one is ugly and start pouring in comments.
This thing also implies that being beautiful,one lacks the talent to attract people with your writing!
Hmmm....So that's the reason for my trash I turn out!
Gotcha! I mean the person who posted this funda.
:-))

7:30 PM  
Blogger educatedunemployed said...

I haven't read either posts, so honestly your post refuses to make any sense to me.I really had no idea that blogging a medium of communication through words, and words mostly..(photos only as a complimenting attribute), could be reduced to such vanity.Sad.

8:02 PM  
Blogger the cowlick said...

I don't think 'staying power' has anything to do with looks. People may come to your blog once after seeing your picture, but if you write crap, they'll go away. (Here I'm of course assuming that people who read blogs are not there because they want to pick up dates. It's because they - good-looking or not - truly don't have a life.)

PS: But I do think for really ugly people, it's best to stay anon than post their ugly mugs. I did get turned off a blog once after the author posted his picture on it, and this when I'm not here picking dates.

8:23 PM  
Blogger G Shrivastava said...

ROTFLMAO! You actually wrote a post abt this! :-)

10:26 PM  
Blogger totti said...

Hee hee.Is that true? You know people put a lot of things out there..just to have something to post.For everything and anything you write, there will be people in for it and out against it. i should probably save my words of wisdom at some place..you guys are lucky to get a load of them for free :p..

11:51 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Raul,
No new songs 'coz you called me a dumb blonde :p

Moose,
A pretty face, a good name, some good writing, a pleasant template. A lot of things can act as the means to getting more hits. Why obsess on appearance then? What I'm trying to say is why do some people read more into it than there actually is?

Ekta,
Et tu? But I thought judging by your hubby's description of you, you must be a real pretty one :D

Moose,
I'm sure someone out there is conducting a study on blogging already ;)
As for NST, please ask Raul himself :)

Jingu,
To be honest, a lot of your comment didnt make much sense to me. Hmmm. I guess it was supposed to be funny... but sorry, I'm a little lost.

EU,
Well that's exactly what I thought when I read these posts.

Cowlick,
Exactly! I could understand someone making such claims about orkut or some other such networking thingy. But blogging isnt about match-making, is it?
PS: Some pics I agree, are repulsive. Especially those passport photos which look like mugshots ;)

Gee,
Oh yes I did ;)

Totti,
Totally, which is why I dont expect everyone to agree with what I write. And I think others should be open to differing opinions as well, no?

12:18 AM  
Blogger twip said...

hahahahaha.....pray can you post the link to the blogger who loftily exclaimed that a blogger's frequency of posting is directly propotional to his or her ugliness

I need to see that tripe for myself, it sounds sooooo retarded.... I mean seriously! How can you come up with something like that?

=D

12:49 AM  
Blogger Dreamcatcher said...

Brilliant last line. Btw I would love to read which blog came up with such an innovative theory. I do believe that blogs are usually based on writing.

1:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well played ..a little late.. but well played.. ;)

2:35 AM  
Blogger Jinguchakka said...

Supposed to be funny, yeah! Now I know!
:-((

If you are not getting this either, pretend to.

4:29 AM  
Blogger burf said...

if a person implements SEO on his blog/website, he/she can get good hits

11:19 AM  
Blogger ~RAUL~ said...

but...but I just agreed to what you wrote !!!

:((

1:08 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Punkster,
Wouldnt be appropriate to provide links, no? And I found it silly, more than irritating actually. Till I read the second one... and it all piled up and bugged me no end.

DC,
Well well... being diplomatically correct and all, I'd rather not link up. But take my word for it. These posts do exist.

Jupiter,
They say better late than never ;)

Jingu,
Oh yeah, totally get it now.
;)

Burf,
Pray, what is SEO?

Raul,
You dont have to ALWAYS agree :p
Btw, have changed the song. Before you ask, this is Chalo from Jism.

2:48 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

Plain jane... hot blogger.... yeh sab maya hai... sab maya!

3:48 PM  
Blogger A and A said...

All balls. All bullshit. And pardon my language.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Dreamy Eyed Gal said...

Hey cud u plz link those blogs??...I really wanna c which blogs think that frquency of posts/comments is proportional to ugliness/beauty of the blogger!!!...I mean how can ppl have the patience to read all the posts just coz the blogger is ugly or beautiful ;-)

6:38 PM  
Blogger burf said...

SEO - Search engine optimisation

it is one of the popular techniques websites use to increase their footfalls

9:52 PM  
Blogger By Deepa and Supriya said...

Oh vow! What next? The single, 20 something bloggers will get more hits just because they have the "IT" factor? Also, can people lie on their blogs? I mean about their looks, age and everything else....it's like opening a whole new can of worms!!

10:20 PM  
Blogger San said...

As for us lesser mortals, I'll order paper bags for us to cover our ugly faces.

let me get straight to the front of the queue then :)

btw what is the song that is playing in the backround?

5:25 AM  
Blogger ligne said...

Nice choice of song..You hear this song by Shreya Ghoshal..then watch picturization on Bipasa Basu..a huge contrast.. :)

Well one thing is for certain..looks or no looks.. after hte first look..they make no difference. Perhaps the no pic blogs take their time to be discovered..
Eventually writing matters na?

I am not even sure whether we all write to be commented on...I still aren't sure what I am looking for in the blogworld..definitely looks :)

9:11 AM  
Blogger Gee said...

laziness...laziness and not looks determine post frequency

1:04 PM  
Blogger Zii said...

jealous?

2:34 AM  
Blogger karuna said...

Now i have studied the beauty and the best phenomenon but really, there are far too many anonymous blogs out there for thsi to be true, one scary thing i did hear about was online sexual harassment as a result of pretty blog pictures *shudders* so then my paper bag is a good thing! :)
(If i ceased to make sense afer now...
plz excuse)

3:02 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Apoo,
Now where does this hot Maya blog?

Wishful,
Hmmm. And hmmmmm.

DEG,
No I dont want to link those blogs. But yes, the idea was a little off I thought.

Burf,
Ah, thanks for enlightening :)

Orchid,
As a blog reader, it does make me feel stupid if people try to imply that most of us visit blogs which have a pleasant picture, more often.

San,
The song is 'Chalo tum ko' from Jism.

Ligne,
Now dont penalise the song for the picturisation :)
True, not everyone is dependent on comments. I know quite a few bloggers who are not, atleast.

Herenow,
Bingo. Spot on!

Zii,
Big time!

Karuna,
Sexual harassment? Now that sounds new... but there isnt much one can do on a blog, no?

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My comment is missing... I think :S

10:47 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

SS,
Oops... didnt delete any comment. Blog does play funny at times. Post it again, please.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Ekta said...

Casa,
Well if you insist!
Though u'll realise someday no hubby will ever say his wife is not the prettiest in front of her!!...heheh!

1:26 PM  
Blogger Anand said...

Casa!!!
Ooh so thats the secret..means I should NEVER post my pic EVER!:-)
and well abt the wife being pretty or not...check out for urself if I am right in my Bali in snaps blog...the wife has been featured there!

1:30 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Ekta and Anand,
Hehehehe... you'll are the first blog couple I know. Very cute this seems :D
Will check out Bali pics and pass my judgement. Hold your breath ;)

4:47 PM  
Blogger alice said...

i know what u talking bat and i know a blogger like that ....i m sure u do too...
ppl who are obsessed with tgeir good lokks are the ones who are the most insecure.....

ignore them...assholes....
i love ur blog and even if u were the ugliest girl :)ever i wd still visit ur blog regularly...
(there comes a kick for me...)
i m sure u r beautiful...

12:33 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

No kicks sweetie... I really would want to read my blog for what I write, and for the person I am, than for how I look. Yes, beautiful people are more insecure, I'd agree with you there.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Aris,
I post very often.
I dont think I'm ugly.
Does that answer your question? ;)

1:36 AM  
Blogger Camphor said...

Dare I pull a sappy line like inner beauty and skin deep stuff?

I don't think I will. There is a reason why some of us don't put our pics on the profile... and soemtimes it is just to avoid correlations like that...

6:10 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Camphor,
Glad some people do understand my point of view here :)

12:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home