Wednesday, March 07, 2007

First Date

First impressions always matter. Men or cities, they must win you over the first time. I have liked whatever I’ve seen of Sydney so far. The Australia experience started with the most good looking immigration officer one can ever hope for. Very promising. My tiny hotel, tucked in the eastern suburb of Randwick sent a friendly staff member to pick me up at the airport. Nothing elaborate, nothing touristy. A man, a car and a friendly chat. Driving through Randwick reminded me of South Africa. Stellenbosch, more specifically. Sunny, scenic and laid-back. Low rise buildings and smiling faces. Quaint cafes and old churches. I had lunch at a Pizza Café. A Chinese lady took my order. I smiled. I considered the option of using my limited mandarin to surprise her but decided against it. She might know less than I do. Which isn’t much at all.

The afternoon was spent soaking up the sun and walking around the streets of Randwick. It is such a welcome change from city life. The heat is a bit oppressive at times, but coming from Singapore, it doesn’t bother me too much. I am taking a breather from all the walking and photographing. Sipping away my tropical fruit juice, and waiting for 6pm when Rush will come to pick me up. We head to Central to watch the Mardi Gras parade. Exciting, isn’t it?

(written Saturday 3rd March 07)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home