Monday, January 22, 2007

In her shoes.

Sometimes, insignificant events make such a happy puppy out of me. Like finding the song I have a strange craving for at 2:30 in the morning. Like getting the last carton of the only chocolate milk I like at the mart. Like finally collecting the two pairs of shoes I had ordered last week because they didnt have my size then (black pumps and leopard-print stilettos, if you must know). January is racing past. As much as I poke fun at people whose lives revolve around their work, I am slowly inching towards that myself. So much is happening at work. Long hours. Presentations. Big budgets. Bigger targets. Everyone wants to know everything. Apparently this is supposed to give me a power high. But it has failed to do so. So what if some bigwig is impressed with my work? Show me the money. It is bonus time next month and unlike everyone else, I am too tired to guestimate my share. All I know is, if the tickets get confirmed, I will be spending a fine portion of that on my Sydney trip next month. Which reminds me - as dire luck would have it, I booked the wrong date, and after some irritating conversations with the Singapore Airlines call center, I am now holding 2 bookings, each with one leg waitlisted. The stupidity, I tell ya! But I have a good feeling about this trip. I think it will work out. I will so badly need a break from work by mid-February. For now, I have joined Salsa lessons and I shimmy my way through 2 hour classes every thursday to break the monotony of the workweek. Very cool, it is. Of course the instructor managed to chip my nail last week, and I almost threw a tantrum for it, but it is all good now. I also have a rock climbing course to attend this saturday, but given that I spent all of last weekend in a medically drugged state, and that the person responsible for registration seems to check him email only once a century, I am not sure that is going to work out. In the meantime, I have a fine reading line-up. I am about to finish 'Liar's Poker', a book every banker will enjoy. After that comes Vikram Seth's travelogue through China and Tibet - 'From Heaven Lake'. Next in queue is Paul Carter's 'Dont tell Mum I work on the Rigs'. This is a christmas gift from a friend in the shipping industry, and is an autographed copy. How very cool. On the side, I am also reading Seth's poetry - All You Who Sleep Tonight. I have been unable to get my hands on Deepti Naval's 'Black Wind and other poems' but some kind soul in Bombay is looking out for me. How very sweet! In the meantime, have a good week you all.. and I will go dig into some chocolate chip bread. Muahahahhaa!

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"in her shoes" u say,
guess what i was upto yesterday,
shoe shoppin in taka,
nine west, ferragamo n what have ya.
if there's any thing that leaves a woman ecstatic, without fail,
its got to be a shoe sale.

1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haaye choc chip bread is for kids.. (and for 17 year old girls who just came to singapore and didn't find vegetarian food and ate whole loaves of it and then felt sick and gave it up)

(not that i know anyone who did that)

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't been able to read anything for so long now! And Salsa... i want to learn too!! Good that you managed to squeeze out time... so a demo in the next meet... wat say? ;-) :D :P

5:05 PM  
Blogger livinghigh said...

chocolate chip bread sounds simply yummy!!!
and o, yes, ure booklist wud give the hardiest class 10 student preparing for his ICSE the goosebumps. *grin* just sit up with ure coffee n ure bread and run thru it at breathneck speed!

sydney again? wow - u DO take loads of hols. *jealous*

o by de way, my delhi vacation snaps are up - do come by pixelated-livinghigh.blogspot.com

8:04 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Jack,
Oh well, your girl must be a very happy person now.

Jupiter,
I almost did that :(

Aparna,
The next meet will happen only when your highness finds some time.

LH,
Hey, it isnt that nerdy, issit?
And Sydney might not happen.. lots of complications. Let's see. Fingers crossed.
Will check out the snaps.

11:49 PM  
Blogger GuNs said...

A trip to Sydney, Rock climbing, salsa lessons, reading... and you say you are having a non-happening life !!

-PeAcE
--WiTh
---GuNs

1:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes the relativeness to your posts gets a bit too eerie.

2:25 AM  
Blogger KM said...

oye oye!
:P
my life revolves around work too.
i had to ask to take last saturday off...even though it was my day off.
you never visit the cloud anymore!
:(

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

chocolate chip bread and chocolate milk - yuks!

January is flying by .. I can't even think of anything productive that I've done or achieved :|

5:25 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

xGuns,
Sydney might not work out. Woe be me :(

Khizzy,
Yayyy! So nice to see you here. Will hop over to the cloud pronto.

Aris,
12 left feet?? LOL.
And there's nothing vile about choc chip bread. Its tasty and sinful and childish :p

San,
Tell me about it. It is almost month end now!

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes, insignificant events make such a happy puppy out of me. Like finding the song I have a strange craving for at 2:30 in the morning

or

like finally getting your hands on a much awaited book.

:) the said kind soul who sounds much nice and handsome and uber cool and dashing and charming and ok i'll stop .. has gotten thy a copy.

kindly to be emailing ur address madame :)

3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice blog.. i too get this craving for songs at the middle of the night sumtimes..

8:34 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Yes I know you,
You be the lovliest and the best, my dear! *hugs*
Emailed you the address.

Diyadear,
Thanks :)

12:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really, the significant bit is what you think about liar's poker. Isn't it?!

2:39 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

I think it's a very lovely read. I might not agree with everything in it, but it is still very nicely written.

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home