Monday, February 05, 2007

Office Space

Most of my colleagues don’t get me. They don’t get why I spend $5 on fresh flowers for my desk every Monday, when I could have plastic ones forever. Or why I spend $5 on my Starbucks latte everyday when there is free vending-machine coffee in office. That is okay. I don’t expect them to. I am the youngest in the team, and in many ways, very different from most of them. I can see that my story of a single-girl-living-alone-in-the-city amuses them. Stopped amusing me a long time back. I don’t think there is any other way possible for me to live this life. I filled in for my boss last week, for a one-on-one meeting with a real bigwig. Everyone around thinks it is a big deal. I will be honest; I did make a big deal about it that day. Because I was a teeny weeny bit nervous. But that’s about all. I think you get the idea. I am a little bit of an oddball in my team. In a good way. In an odd way, nonetheless.

But you cant spend 12 hours a day in office and not have buddies at work. So I have what I call ‘work friends’. Friends I’ve made at the workplace, but not necessarily my immediate colleagues. Which is all good. We have different teams and different work and very little conflict of interest. Sadly, work-friends have started leaving the bank, or moving outside Singapore. I miss them. I miss having regular lunch company, and collective bitching sessions. I miss sneaking out for breakfast, and having a drink after work. They say life changes very quickly, you have to move on. Roobish. For now, I refuse!

7 Comments:

Blogger Prerona said...

its good to have people to hang out with, even if you dont really agree with them or get them, or vice versa

6:13 AM  
Blogger San said...

roobish :) it's okay you stay put and let life move on around you .. by the time the tantrum is over you'll have moved on.

Fresh flowers at the start of the week is a good way to start the week .. they should bring freshness to the start of the week .. i expect you to post some my way to UK

5:44 PM  
Blogger Dreamy Eyed Gal said...

hey u buy fresh flowers every Monday?...thats so sweet:-)

11:28 PM  
Blogger once again said...

:)
ur'e a rockstar casa.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Ricercar/Prerona,
Yes but when everyone has kids to go back home to, it is difficult to convince them to 'hang out' after work.

San,
Yes I intend to be a total kid and throw tantrums :D
And I will buy you flowers. Come a-visiting to Singapore!

DEG,
Yes, some to cheer me up in office. This week there are pink lilies on the table :)

Brat,
LOL. You be the cutest!

5:54 PM  
Blogger GuNs said...

That is PRECISELY what I say. I dont want people to move on and chase their lives. I mean, its not really impossible for people to stick together forever. It just takes a little effort from everyone involved. I know so many of my college friends who live half a KM from each other and are still out of touch after college. Till I came to the UK, I made a lot of effort to be in constant touch with my best friends - my school mates. We are all proud to say that inspite of spanning the globe, we are still in regular tough through emails/phone/messenger.

You cant kill good company, you can just betray it.

-PeAcE
--WiTh
---GuNs

9:19 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Guns,
But sometimes, email/phone/messenger is just not enough. One craves for physical presence of friends.

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home