Friday, November 24, 2006

Musafir

It is impossible to explain in words and photos, how much fun I've had over the last 10 days. Hong Kong was awesome as usual. I think I am addicted to the city. Problem is, I am not ready for rehab. Just yet. Beijing was beautiful. It was soooo different from anything I've seen before. I'm glad I went there. Stitch and Buzz made for slightly crazy, but thoroughly enjoyable, travel company. Thanks guys, I havent laughed so much in ages!

Mambo No.5
Buzz has the habit of addressing salespersons and restaurant staff by their name, which he reads off their name tags. It was all fine while he went 'Derek, do you have a new piece for this jacket?' but when we went to the quaint little cafe in Beijing, where the waitress had her name in chinese, and 'No.5' written below it, and Buzz went 'No.5, I need a spoon for my soup', we were rolling on the floor, laughing!

The Great Gambler
I was taught Blackjack all in 5 minutes. No prizes for guessing that I lost money. So did Buzz. Stitch was dealing. We all said 'the house always wins'. So far, so good. Next day, Buzz decides he is going to take advantage of the house always winning, and deals to us. Stitch and me both made money. So much for being the dealer. *grin*

Passport to Hell
To be extra careful with my money, I decide to lock it up in Stitch's drawer, in Hong Kong. To make sure I dont forget the money, I also lock in my passport with it. Come tuesday morning, Stitch leaves for work, and just as Buzz and me are about to leave for the airport, I realise where my passport is. The option of breaking open the drawer was thankfully abandoned, and Stitch came back from office with the keys. We made it to the airport on time. But I havent felt like a bigger fool, ever.

Extreme Makeover
To go to Hong Kong and not have my hair done at Rusk atleast twice? Impossible. Guess who I convinced to come along. Not only did I convince Buzz to get a haircut with me, but also colour his hair. I am so so so proud of myself!

From Russia with Love
On first look at Beijing, what struck us was, Russia. No, none of us have ever been to Russia. The Soviet image induced by movies and books caused that reaction. Wide wide roads. Start of a winter which promises to be harsh. Few highrises. Massive buildings. Intimidating guards in their long overcoats and fur caps. The mix of Maseratis and bicycles. Communism, with a dash of Starbucks and McDonalds. LV shops and fakes by the streetside. A bit of english, a bit of history, a bit of mystery. So different from everything else.

The Wall
Undoubtedly the best experience of the holiday. We liesurely walk from watchtower to watchtower on the Mutianyu portion of the Great Wall, 70 km from Beijing. No specific destination in mind. We speak to passers-by, we gulp Vodka, we photograph. Then we speak to a lady who points to the highest watchtower till where tourists are allowed. Apparently it is a steep climb from the base. We now have a mission. The jackets and the sweaters come off. I am scared about having enough strength to walk all the way back. But I cant chicken out. I climb. I stop. I breathe. I climb again. Stitch walks two steps behind me, scared that I will fall. But I do it. A small personal victory. This photo is taken from that top-most watchtower, and we walked the entire stretch that you can see in the photo.

Addiction
I still miss Hong Kong. And I must thank Buzz for taking this candid shot, while I was looking at the city on the last day. One just cant get enough.

There is so much more to write about, so many stories to share, so many photos to show. But I cant do it all at once. Some of you, have asked for the details in person and I have narrated the experience in painstaking detail. Some of you didnt ask, but I wanted to tell you nonetheless, so I have inflicted you with the stories. Some of you asked, for the sake of asking, and then drifted off before I could even get halfway. Too bad you feel the need to be polite, when you really couldnt care less.

There will be more stories. You can count on it. But for now, dont hate me, if I tell you I am off to Phuket tomorrow, for the weekend. Yes, some sand, some sea, some sun. Be good, I'll miss ya. Muah!

11 Comments:

Blogger Brood Mode said...

Oh! How I envy you...

3:03 AM  
Blogger educatedunemployed said...

You wrote so well, I almost felt like I was there.
So happy you had a great time, the emotions and photos tell.

What is with the bitterness???

Some of you asked, for the sake of asking, and then drifted off before I could even get halfway. Too bad you feel the need to be polite, when you really couldnt care less.


Anyway, hope you have an awesome time in Phuket..and you have a really cute butt..:D

See you soon.Can't wait to hear more.

3:07 AM  
Blogger Prerona said...

wow! lucky you

5:21 AM  
Blogger San said...

the photo pf the great wall was just breath taking!

I'm so glad you are enjoying yourself, look fwd to all the stories in great details as I'm sure you will provide .. any gloating will result in graffati on the wall :p

5:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

-cough-

why ddnt I get the photos
or the details

i thot someone was gonna mail me.

-hmph-

just because you ddnt send me no pictures or details, i will not comment on ur derriere.

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

but the real question is..why is there a fire hydrant on a boat?

4:40 PM  
Blogger livinghigh said...

oy!
niiiice pics. and the lil recollections were very chweeeeeet. ;)

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah! Had heard a lot about how good China is to travel...
Damn! :D

12:00 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Brood Mode,
Take a holiday my dear :)

EU,
No bitterness, just stating from observation.
And stop checking out my butt :p
Had a good time in Phuket. Will write about it soon.

Prerona,
Oh well, it was a holiday after 6 months.

San,
Hehehe... no gloating. Stories, yes, very soon.

Brat,
Guess what? Gmail couldnt send the huge attachment. Sorry, will reduce pics and send soon okay.

Jupiter,
There is?

LH,
Merci, my dear :D

SS,
Long time. Done with the relocation? How be you?

Aristera,
Why does this admirer vanish for such long stretches?
PS: Planning to go to Tibet in 2008. Fingers crossed.
PPS: No aukaat to enter LV. The sadness :( :(

1:34 AM  
Blogger By Deepa and Supriya said...

can't even dream of a vacation till next yr and no I don't mean till next month but what fun..it must be good to be you!

4:52 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Aris,
That really was ages...

Orchid,
I try to make it good. After all, me is all I've got :)

7:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home