Workhorse
Today, I complete 2 years at my job. Dont bother with questions on where and what I work as. Details are not important. Suffices to say I am a banker, and I am happy right now, that I chose this job in the May of 2004, when I could have taken up a very tempting offer in the oil industry. When I had made the decision, I wondered if I would ever look back and wonder... or regret. But regardless of other regrets in life, I can very comfortably say, this was one of the best decisions I made.
At times, I have loved my work. At times, I've hated it. But surprisingly, work isnt the first thing that comes to mind when I think of this bank and my 2 years here. It is undoubtedly, the people.
The friends I made at our month-long training sessions. Some I am still in touch with, some I am not. But that doesnt take away from the wonderful 2 months spent in their company. Some of them have appeared at strange places and strage situations in my life, and I am thankful for that. From NY to Jo'burg to Shanghai to Mumbai... I'll have someone to host me if I were to land up at these places, and that is all thanks to the bank.
My first boss. And I wont comment on him or his work. All I am thankful for, is the opportunities he gave me. The things he let me do. The places he let me go. One of the shrewdest people I know, I have learnt more about diplomacy from him than anyone else. I remember going to him a year back, to discuss my international assignment, and tried to convince him that Dubai would be a better choice than HK. He didnt agree. So I was off to HK. And I cant thank him enough for it. It was not just a great move professionally, but even personally, it was an experience I wont forget for a long time.
My colleagues here. And as cheesy as it sounds, some of them are my very close friends now, rather than just colleagues. One of them moved to NY last year, and I miss her dearly. And when I got a hand-written postcard from her last week, I missed her even more. But well, people move. Friendships stay.
Very sappy, this post is getting. Plis to forgive. I am in that kind of a mood wonly. What to do?
2 years in this team, learning, knowing, working. Meeting people. Seeing them come, seeing them go. Change of colleagues. Change of bosses. Change of projects. Change in me.
Well, it is time, to move on.
2 weeks later, I join a new team here. A very different profile, which I am looking forward to, and quite excited about. (yesyesyes, now you can stop being curious :p)
Save the congratulations, wish me luck instead :)


17 Comments:
Hey Casa....loads of luck from my side... and lotz of hard work from your side (?) :D
good luck pal :)
Good Luck then. It's very true tht our work environment should be healthy for us to be happy. Imagine working with self centered jerks all the time... and as it is we spend all our time at work itself! :)
anyway, cool to hear tht you liked/like your job.
cheers
A
All the best babe! :)
Best of luck !
Nothing like liking your job. Half of the misery of a working life comes from the fact that most of us hate what we are doing and we wished we were doing something else.
-PeAcE
--WiTh
---GuNs
all the best :)
Good luck, and what do they saybabout emotional quotient being as important as intellectual one to grow professionally and of course personally.Well done too.Just had to say it:)
THIS IS SPOOKY!!
Very often your posts are very similar to my life! VERY!
.. and today is the last day of work at this place I' ve been working with for the last two years. Was feeling low, as I will be leaving behind a lovely bunch of friends.. was just telling myself.. that I might move jobs..but friendships are here to stay... and then I happened to read your post and I was woah.. those are my thoughts exactly!
p.s sorry about the long winding comment :->
Chitra,
Hehe... hard work is always needed, new role or not, isnt it :)
Godolphin,
Thanks!
Amarula,
Honestly, it hasnt been all smooth sailing, but sum-total it has been a good 2 years.
WT,
Thanks, dude ;)
Guns,
But arent we always plagued by the greener-grass phenomena? Most people complain about what they are doing, even if they like it. Or so methinks...
Prerona,
Merci :D
EU,
Yup, I have seen a lot of personal growth over the last one year, because I moved to HK. And that opportunity was thanks to my job! So, yipppeee! :D
(Just had to say that ;)
Zombie,
Spooky it is! And 2 years too? Wow! Ya babe, not to worry about change... it will work out. One way or another. So just enjoy it, I say :)
Though you will hate me for this. But I am saying in good faith.
When you started your blog you used to write so good and sweet. Though you still write good but every post of yours smack of arrogance these days. Why you changed Casablanca?
You have right to cuss at me and your friends can swear at me. But I put this as honest criticism.
Cheers,
aye!
ALL THE BEST?
Anonymous,
And I have only 1 question for you: Why your english so bad, Anonymous?
Zii,
:D
Kazarelth,
Thanks!
Oh, I forgot to add. You are so predictable !
adieu.
hei casa..that post is missing..wat happ?
Wishes here too....
A birthday blog maybe :-)
i so cant wait to start working!
apologies for the absense, comp had crashed.. :-(
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home