Monday, June 12, 2006

Ye kya jagah hai doston...

The air smells of one part incense, one part hair oil and 5 parts heat. Yes, weird description there, I know. Let that serve as a warning about how senseless this post is going to get.

Friday was a fun day. To say it was raining cats and dogs in Hong Kong, would be an understatement. It delayed me for dinner. It made my straight hair look all wirey. And it made my white sandals look brown. Was I happy? No. Was I hungry? Yes. Was I cold? Maybe. But I forgave. Because after finally making it to Baci for dinner, it was 'good times' all the way. Portobello mushrooms, gnocchi and wine. Almost a celebration, for no particular reason. Followed by Germany-Costa Rica at Bulldogs. And almost falling off the table. And no, not because I was drunk. Because some fatso also tried to sit there and it resulted in a see-saw effect. Poor me. I could go on with stories about friday, but I dont want to. It is all a kind of a blur. A good blur. A weird blur. A blur blur.

I doubt I've ever been as tired as I was when I landed in Singapore on saturday. And before I knew it, it was sunday afternoon and I was using my hair dryer to dry my clothes and pack them. The things we do! I was trying to fit in meeting up friends for coffee, packing, going to office and picking up some stuff, and reaching the airport on time, all in 3 hours. Needless to say, I couldnt do it all. I am not superwoman. But then at times, I feel like I am. Okay, you dont have to believe me. But I know I have become more efficient at doing things. Not any specific work. Just, "things". After checking in for my flight on sunday evening, within 30 minutes, I had a meal at BK's, powered up my laptop to get some details, used those details to write a letter to a bank, got an envelope, stamped it, posted it, shopped wine for friends and reached my gate. On time. Sometimes, I surprise myself.

The flight to Chennai was delayed by 45 minutes, because, apparently, there was heavy air traffic. Bah! I was happy that the seat next to me was vacant. I was in no mood to make small talk. Quite accidently, I spilled my glass on the seat too. Which on hindsight, was a good thing to do, because this overweight, ugly, smiley man was looking for a seat to shift too. But thankfully this was too wet for his butt. Yipppee. I slept in peace.

It is strange how alien I felt landing in India last night. I guess I do feel out of place in Chennai. No, nothing personal. Maybe it is a sort of a subconscious expectation to understand the language when you land in your own country, and hence feel at home. Which I dont here. And everybody else does. Anyway, I am happy to use these 3 days to catch up on sleep, watch TV and eat mangoes. Heeehaaahaaa. Yes, I said mangoes!

I am not going anywhere with this post. But then, that hasnt stopped me before from blogging. But I'll spare you the torture. And go back to my 'weird' feeling.


PS: 'Weird' how you might agree with what I feel.

24 Comments:

Blogger Apy said...

Mangoes??? Whoa.. I have many frnz but Casa is my Besht frnd as she will send me mangoes..lol.. enjoy ...

5:28 PM  
Blogger janani said...

Chennai is a nice city! Don't forget to visit the beaches. And at any point if you face any trouble, just mention my name! :-) Have fun :-)

5:59 PM  
Blogger A and A said...

Welcome to my city I say!!!! Hope you have an absolute blast while you're here! Not to miss out on Zara. Pliss. And their pepper vodka shots. Pliss. Just ensaaai like anything ma! :D

6:03 PM  
Blogger Ekta said...

The weather in HK has been awful!!
Rainy, gloomy and depressing to say the least!
Damn!

6:40 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Apy,
Go to any supermarket in Tokyo and buy some mangoes on my behalf, then :D

Janani,
I'm here for just 3 days, and I dont have much time to do sightseeing. Neither much company. So I guess I'll see the hotel and office, and not much else ;)

WT,
Oh, but I dont know where Zara is! How to ensai ma?

Ekta,
Gloomy it is. And it will remain so for some time, isnt it.

8:46 PM  
Blogger Jinguchakka said...

Chennai!! I am drooling.
Dude! Take some photos of Chennai and post it. Please.
:-))

2:16 AM  
Blogger G Shrivastava said...

You are in INDIA? Any plans to head West?

6:32 AM  
Blogger educatedunemployed said...

Have very little memory of Madras.One thing I remember was not finding chai..like chai should be.You on work right? So many awesome bloggers we know there.Any chance of meeting up? Mangoes did you say..I might get lucky this summer.:D

6:58 AM  
Blogger Anand said...

Hehehe
Having see-saw with a fatso!!
Hope ur hale and hearty!!

9:56 AM  
Blogger A and A said...

Babe, Zara is really easy to find. Its on Cathedral Road, three buldings away from the Madras Music Academy and bang opposite The Chola Sheraton. Now if you can't find it even now, then just I am not knowing what to be saying. And yeah, if you're a football fan, you can catch the matches there. Now go ensaai ma! :)

10:41 AM  
Blogger Wanderlust said...

welcome to chennai!

12:39 PM  
Blogger GuNs said...

Welcome to India !

-PeAcE
--WiTh
---GuNs

12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mangoes, heh I'm enjoying 'em here as well! Feels like a propah summer with 'em mangoes innit?

hope you enjoy your trip =D

2:01 PM  
Blogger Apy said...

if i got mangoes here comparable to mangoes in India... do u really think that line wd have cm... :P

3:00 PM  
Blogger San said...

lol at the see-saw incident .. ah but i could forgive anything for good food and good company which i rarely get :(

4:08 PM  
Blogger Prerona said...

hmm the best part abt being back in india in this season is the abundance of mangoes ... lol - specially this year!

4:32 PM  
Blogger dr.jinxed said...

you're in chennai??sigh!!homesickness happening big time..hope you have a blast lady:)

4:43 PM  
Blogger Archster said...

forgive the wishful thinker... i have for you the right comment in response to "Oh, but I dont know where Zara is! How to ensai ma?"

Come on i say! you have my number. Exams can wait.

5:32 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

Just 3 days, here??

5:46 PM  
Blogger Prince K. said...

Hi...... me b back, I lost the arhive where I had your adress... heheh....
your in india's thirsty city.... All my relatives live there....
Me scored 89% in ICSE..... BLAH!

7:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lot of air traffic in India these days. My flight was delayed because we were circling around Mumbai while waiting to land.

2:51 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Jingu,
Photos? Hmmm... will try.

Gee,
Yup, here on work for a very short time. Sadly, wont be headed west. Next time, maybe?

EU,
Yup, here on work. And hopefully will meet up these happening bloggers tomorrow ;)

Anand,
Oh of course. Was saved by a friend ;)

WT,
Guess what! A friend of mine, who happens to be here right now, took me to Zara today. And... we likey!

Zombie, Guns,
Thank you :)

Dee,
For me, it feels like propah Indian summer, minus the 45 deg temperature. Something nice about visiting India in June :)

Apy,
Awwwwww. Fly home then :)

San,
Good food and good company that sure was... and you dont get any of that? How come?

Prerona,
Tell me about it!

Jinxed,
Now now... Bangalore isnt that far from Chennai that you should get homesick, my dear!

Archster,
And... you are a sweetheart! Will see you tomorrow :D :D

Jay,
Short. Very short. But its for work.

Kazarelth,
Congrats! That's quite good, isnt it. So, what next?

Anshul,
Oh, but my flight was delayed at take-off. Air traffic in Singapore :(

2:56 AM  
Blogger San said...

i'm a fussy eater so food is usually a problem with me and company well :(

4:14 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

San,
I'm fussy too... I just tell myself that in a way it is good, otherwise I'll put on a lot of weight ;)

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home