Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Mirror mirror, on the wall

I am very excited about the date. It is 06-06-06.
*clap clap clap*
Yes, we are kiddish like that. What to do?

Anyways, this post is about bigger and better things. Ahem.

So Jupiter wrote about the predicament of putting a photo on blogger/orkut/gtalk/watchacallit. Should it look better than your real self, or worse? If you do the former, you will have trouble when you meet these people in real life. If you do the latter, you might find people vanishing from your blog or friendly-orkut-network. Either way, its a tough call. And worst is, if you dont have a photo at all for some time on your profiles, leading people to construct a picture of you based on what they think or read. And when you finally do put a photo, it doesnt meet the expectations you have built up. You know you've hit road #3 if you get comments like "you look so different from what I had imagined" (which means I thought you'd look better), or non-commital compliments like "nice pic" ('nice' is the most diplomatic word ever... right after 'fine'). Anyways, so all this finally led me to write the post I've been thinking of writing for a very long time.

What picture does our blog paint of us?

Of course, I'm writing more on behalf of the average anonymous blogger who still has some amount of mystery surrounding him or her, leaving people guessing about what kind of person they are. If she writes feminist posts about women and their right to wear skimpy clothes, does it mean she is a slut? If he writes humourous posts day in day out, does it mean he is the charmer with a great sense of humour in real life conversations? If she mentions shoes and clothes and shopping in every second post, does it mean that she is stinking rich, or worse, spending too much of her money inappropriately? If he writes about love and romance and poetry, is he therefore single? If she talks about getting complimented on her hairstyle, does she therefore look pretty?

I suppose you cant fault anyone for forming an impression about what you really are, based on what you blog. Sometimes maybe, we can stop their imaginations from running away with this picture, and we dont. Most times though, we cant, even if we want. What will you do? Have a poll on your blog about what people imagine you to be? So really, can we stop ourselves from 'misleading' readers? Also, do we always care about setting the record straight? I think not.

But one thing is for sure... a lot of us use blogging to give vent to that facet of our personality which very often doesnt see the light of day in real life. I mean, you cant so often sit and read out poetry to your friends. So you do it on your blog. You cant keep explaining your complicated thought process to every stranger, so you post about it. And funnily enough, it manages to attract enough like-minded people who seem to understand what you want to say. Yet, you might not be the poet. Or the thinker. Or the bitch. Or the angel. Point is, very often, there is a predominant trait of ours which goes on the blog. Extrapolating it to form the rest of the jigsaw, might sometimes be a huge mistake.


Update: Umm... It seems most people are assuming my entire post is about physical appearance. And about profile photos and such. No, I was talking about the personality that gets depicted on a blog. Cool/saintly/mean/wacko/bitchy/*insert suitable adjective*. We might be such. In parts. Or, we might not. How would you know?

29 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dont think that much woman..just post u r pic.

Just post it!

And cant agree more with the last part.

5:14 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Anon, you sound like someone I know, so I'm sure you dont need a pic of mine :p

5:16 PM  
Blogger educatedunemployed said...

I've been having such similar thoughts for so long.I've noticed, how people judge for judging sake.I just haven't found the right words to express what is in my mind, but will some day.

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anon is right, dont think too much and post your pic and see how people respond. There are a lot of people(read men) who are quite curious to know.

5:46 PM  
Blogger Apy said...

i agree with ya.. comments like *you look so different from what I had imagined* are quite common.. but the point is ... does that change anything.....okay.. the person had conceived a different image of yours.. but its not the end of the road... i mean the reason that person started interacting with you in the first place was ur thought process.. the way u feel n think.. not coz u r good lookin or not.. i dunno...may b i m wrong.. i m also anonymous in my blog..as i havent posted my pic yet but the frnz that i ve made accept me the way i am.... otherwise.. they were never worth it....

5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry blogger u dont know me. Will surely shed that anon tag when I decide on a blog.

But have been following u r blog since sometime.

Ahem. If it makes u n e more comfortable yours not the only one.

Yeah, but pics pls.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

re this space-

I have one thing to say
and one thing only.

GAAAHHHHHHHH!

we will be right back after this

6:29 PM  
Blogger Mr. J said...

Never judge a book by its cover...

The great one has spoken.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Mr. J said...

That doesn't make much sense does it...

6:55 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

EU,
Waiting for your take on this.

Ritwik,
Oh well, I actually thought the above Anon was you ;)
And well, now I cant really put a pic na? It will make it seem like this post was a disclaimer before the photo, and that is soooo not cool :p

Apy,
Hmmm. And hmmm again. I dont think I was talking just about the physical appearance, but about the personality as a whole.

Anon Again,
Nope doesnt make me uncomfortable. You gotta try harder ;)

Jupiter,
Oh, how dare you ;)

Me,
Rather... never judge a cover by the title.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Mr. J said...

Now why didn't I think of that before.

Oh and i'm still waiting for the postcard sweetie

9:41 PM  
Blogger Zii said...

i did not read beyond 6/6/06 and i am also excited for some unknown reason! lets clap!

9:55 PM  
Blogger A and A said...

I am not am alcoholic ok?

11:39 PM  
Blogger Rohan Kumar said...

*Smacking my lips in anticipation of the feast*
'If you do the latter, you might find people vanishing from your blog or friendly-orkut-network.'
Atleast like some 'other' ppl I dont prefer to look the other way or be hypocritical abt this fact.
'Nice pic'
Sounds familiar someone has been practicing some diplomacy on my blog after all.

'If he writes humourous posts day in day out, does it mean he is the charmer with a great sense of humour in real life conversations?'
Yup take my word for it
'If she mentions shoes and clothes and shopping in every second post, does it mean that she is stinking rich, or worse, spending too much of her money inappropriately?' No it just means she has a guilt cnscience that forces her to blog abt it
'Also, do we always care about setting the record straight? I think not.'
Apparently someone does and therefore the rider abt 'It seems most ppl are assuming...........'

Ah this has been fun........later

12:59 AM  
Blogger Jinguchakka said...

You are right. Sometimes I wish I had stayed anon, so that I can rave and rant at things that just cannot be done now.
You have a lazy secretary? :-)

1:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Casablanca, noun
Morroccan (very non-Indian looking) town famous for camel meat.

After reading this blog, I think the minced meat variety must be better.

See... I was not thinking physical appearance. :D



PS - Just so that I don't get slaughtered, the song is very very good.

7:21 AM  
Blogger the cowlick said...

I honestly didn't think people had so much time on their hands to actually sit and think what an anon blogger looks like. But what do I know..

9:17 AM  
Blogger FlyingHigh said...

My blog is plain and boring, I am most certainly not! ;)

12:13 PM  
Blogger Ekta said...

awwww!
Ur post was so bang on casa!
Every word so true--guess thats why we blog--to be able to bring out the aspect of our lives that we cant otherwise!

1:04 PM  
Blogger Sahil said...

Good post.

It's all but natural to form a picture in our heads of what a blogger looks like. Like u said, we read what they write about, and develop a rough mental picture of what they look like that goes with the personality shown through on the blog.

But what I find interesting is the personality that does come out on one's blog. This may be very different from the personality of the person that comes across to others in real life. Now the question is if the blogging personality is the real personality of the person or not? And if it is, then why are the 2 personalities formed different? Is it because your "looks" don't match your blog personality - so there is another personality formed to match your looks?

...oh and I cracked up about the 'nice' observation :)

1:07 PM  
Blogger Bhavesh said...

Casa,
Amazingc post.. as usual am nodding my head to every damn line u ve written..!!

1:30 PM  
Blogger Prerona said...

hmmm - ur back with a bang arent you :) nice post!

1:33 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Me,
Patience is a virtue, which is good to have ;)

Zii,
*claps some more*

Apy,
:)

WT,
I never said so ;)

1:58 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Rohan,
The discussion about the profile pic and its implications is happening on Jupiter's blog. Those arent my thoughts, btw, so if you need to offer your 2 cents, plis to kindly do it on her space. THIS post, is about the blogger's personality, rather than their looks.
(And yes, contrary to what I said before, I think some people do read blogs based on the profile pic, and they are the saddest being around. Sorry, but they are.)

And posting about shopping and shoes could also mean that she doesnt find enough people on real life to say it to, so tortures her blog readers ;)
Very often, people who write witty posts, arent so in real life. So, whatta gonna say?

Jingu,
Oh well, slowly one learns to rant in the faces of people you know. After some time, it doesnt really matter, does it?

SS,
Good move to safe yourself :p
I might slaughter camels, but I let chickens go ;)

Cowlick,
Oh well, apparently they do. And even if its not about looks, it might be about the personality. Wondering what kind of a person he or she is in real life. Dont we all do that at some point of time?

2:12 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Shradha,
Glad you clarified that =))

Ekta,
And that is why blogging is fun, no? :)
PS: HK weather is great, isnt it!

Sahil,
Yes some times the blogger might be different from the real person. We have more rounded personalities in reality, than what might seem on a blog. And looks might not add too much to the differentiating factor, but also the length of time spend with people in real life. They have probably watched our personalities grow, and so they will definitely read us in a particular way, compared to someone who reads only our thoughts on a website somewhere.

Justme,
Scary :p Hope some day you do disagree with me too ;)

Prerona,
My dear, I hope that isnt a neutral 'nice' post. Oh well, even if it is, I will happily assume it is of a complimentary nature and feel good about it :D

2:17 PM  
Blogger Sunny said...

Nice!

Ummm... Well it isnt necessary that the facet of urs that up on ur blog is inexistent in real life... or radically different from it...

Often, a majority of the people reading ur blogs are ur friends and if you were to be presenting an unknown side of you on the blog, it sure would take some digesting for them...

9:18 PM  
Blogger Chitra said...

Hey Casa...I like it the way it is...honest, straight and up to the point!

12:02 PM  
Blogger super invisible girl said...

Its actually never even occured to me to put my pic on my blog until i read ur post...always thought blogs were neutral territory where you could thrive on anonymity...kinda like switzerland, without the cheese...o wait, actually my blog is very cheesy, does that mean I'm a cheesy person? hope not...

1:57 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Sunny,
Well, for many anonymous bloggers, their friends dont read their blogs, or might not know it it their's infact...
Not very often, but it does happen.

Chitra,
Thanks :)

SIG,
It is neutral, and I like it that way. A place where your thoughts matter most.

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home