Wednesday, June 14, 2006

...and we step out

A city is about the people that live there. And fun is also, not very surprisingly, about the people you have it with. A long-lost school friend found me on Orkut two days back, and as luck would have it, he is working in Chennai right now. A quick meeting was set up. And after that, it was fun all the way.
Between loads of talking, exchanging gossip and catching up with each other, a few places were visited. The first stop was Zara, a much talked about bar and restaurant, which has been featured very often on a certain blog. A drink in hand, spanish tapas on the table, and Korea vs Togo on the TV screen. It almost felt like a friday!

The next stop was Marina beach. The sight of waves and the sound of water always make me very peaceful. Apparently the tides have such an effect on cancerians. Having said that, I also saw a couple of small crabs around, and that was enough for me to jump up and down the beach, with people giving me the weirdest of stares. Oh c'mon all of you... it doesnt take a cancerian to know how tightly a crab can hold on to your toe if it puts your mind to it!

Finally, dinner was punjabi style (yes... in Chennai!) at Dhaba express. Some very tasty chicken tikka and roomali roti were bitten into, while sitting on charpayis. To say it was great fun, would be an understatement.

I had such a good time, that I just had to post about it, even if it is past midnight. I know photos of Chennai were requested for, but I hope this elaborate mental picture, of the buzzing city that this is, will do. For now. Cheers, to Chennai!

15 Comments:

Blogger A and A said...

Cheers to Chennai indeed!!!! Good to know you managed to find Zara!!! :D Pliss tell to me you tried the vodka shots?!

3:54 AM  
Blogger educatedunemployed said...

Awwe, sounds nice..Good to know you are having fun.

7:53 AM  
Blogger Jinguchakka said...

Dude! Marina beach!! wow!!
Photos!! The traffic! Buildings!! Tamil hoardings! Photos!!

I speak in stacatto as words fail me. Good for ya.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Inkblot said...

been enjoying reading your stuff for a while- easy flow, personalised and the music goes well. souds like you manage to have fun wherever you go :)

8:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was in chennai last week. for a day. jut cudnt connect with the city. though the book store 'higgin botham' was awesome, there was nothing else to do there. so i went to nalli's and bought saris for my mommy. hehe.
-kunal.

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yaay chennai..i love that place.
and dhabha express..is awesome..yumm food :)
ah now i miss all that. check elliots beach if u get time.

and anonymous check this link..maybe u will find a lot more interesting places in chennai http://o3.indiatimes.com/notsoformal/archive/2005/10/17/294579.aspx

11:19 AM  
Blogger Anand said...

Well
as they say!...Anyplace is fine if u have a one good frd to wine and dine!:-)

11:23 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

WT,
Not yet. Tonight maybe? My friend was driving, so didnt drink much last night.

EU,
Hee hee :D

Jingu,
Okay okay... I'll try to get touristy today and take some photos :p

Inkblot,
I try to, I do :)

Anonymous,
As I said, if I find a friend, I can connect to any city. Saris for Mom? Now that is a good boy ;)

Godolphin,
Not sure I'll get time for another beach. I leave tomorrow morning, and will be working till late tonight :(

Anand,
Precisely!

11:59 AM  
Blogger Wanderlust said...

hey i was in zara's too! if u noticed the noisy bunch in the corner hosting a hen party. that was me and my friends!

12:25 PM  
Blogger Ekta said...

wah wah!
what more can u ask for!..simple pleasures of life!:-)

4:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

good lord.. i am aghast.

6:01 PM  
Blogger GuNs said...

"Some very tasty chicken tikka and roomali roti were bitten into, while sitting on charpayis"

[:-P]What tense is that? Or is it passive usage from the active/passive fame?

LOL, just to stir your grammatical senses. Welcome to India and just like your travels around the world, why dont you do a travelogue around India? It will be fun for you to do and fun for all of us to read about !

-PeAcE
--WiTh
---GuNs

6:16 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Zombie,
Was wondering where all the noise was coming from :p

Ekta,
Simple. Yet fun.

Jupiter,
Aghast about?

Guns,
Past tense, followed by past continuous. If it helps, I'll change it to "while we were sitting on..." :p
And I am not exactly here to travel and explore, so I dont think a travelogue is in place :)

6:29 PM  
Blogger Extempore said...

I know you're coming back sometime in July but any chance of swinging by Bombay? :-)

Am glad you're having a wonderful time, m'dear!

6:30 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Extempore,
Will try. Will most definitely try :)

3:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home