Monday, April 10, 2006

22 minutes of fame

The orc horn sounds. Warriors from both sides run in. The crowd cheers. Applauds. No winners, no losers. Not yet. Just players. The sides size each other up. And then the whistle. What follows is watching fourteen grown-ups trying to take control of an odd shaped ball for 11 minutes. Mangled bodies. Once they do, they run like bionic dummies. Fast and furious. Score. 5 points. And before you know it, the orc horn sounds again. 3 minutes for the DJ. Hey hey baby, I wanna know if you be my girl. The crowd rises. Dances, as if a tribal ritual. And enjoys. The break is over. The war has resumed. Jugs of cold beer everywhere. Pretty girls. Some hunks. Adorable kids. Sweet summer sweat. Match after match. Someone wins. Someone loses. The crowd always cheers. Finally, Fiji beats England. And its all over.

Seven hours of cheering, watching, dancing, talking. Argentina vs New Zealand. England vs Australia. Fiji vs Samoa. And many more. A sore butt, a tired self, and a happy smile. The Singapore Rugby Sevens was fun! See me there, next year.

26 Comments:

Blogger burf said...

sweet summer sweat

that's part of a nice song ;) gud to know u like it too :p

:D

4:43 PM  
Blogger Blue Athena said...

Bucketload of fun and more? :))

4:45 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Burf,
Yup, Hotel California and Tequila Sunrise - my favourite Eagles songs.

BA,
Totally! A real great sunday.

4:48 PM  
Blogger A and A said...

Looks like someone just enjoyed on anything on Sunday! My Sunday was spent feeling like there was a rugby match happening in my head. Talk about a hangover! :D

5:17 PM  
Blogger educatedunemployed said...

Awesome! you rock girl!

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It did beat my expectation. I was hoping to not get bored but it was really entertaining. Must do it again.

Oh ya and the rugby was good too!

6:06 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Wishful,
Oh well, I did party till 5am on saturday and went to watch rugby on really low sleep, but was worth it :D

EU,
*takes a bow*

Anon,
Yes, maybe next time you can sit nearer to the french supporters ;)

6:10 PM  
Blogger twip said...

oooo....soo spot any eye candy?

:D

9:00 PM  
Blogger Jinguchakka said...

Pretty girls! Adorable Kids!
Hmm...Which one of them were you?
:-)

10:27 PM  
Blogger totti said...

It is funny. Fiji kicked england's ass, you say? They are such a small island and they still managed to beat england? A friend of mine had a demeaning statement on how england came up with many game ideas but somehow still manage to .....

11:56 PM  
Blogger Dreamy Eyed Gal said...

liked ne adorable hunk,huh?? ;-)...sounds like u had a blast!!! :-D

12:21 AM  
Blogger alice said...

wow ....rugby...14 guys...sweat....mud....play,....cheering ....wow...heaven...

must have been fun...

12:34 AM  
Blogger karuna said...

That actually makes rugby matches sound like fun.... deceptive little piece uve written there ;)

3:09 AM  
Blogger Apy said...

Thats an awesome description... sounded excitin...

9:37 AM  
Blogger Ekta said...

I dont watch and understand rugby--give me cricket anyday!;-)

10:06 AM  
Blogger greensatya said...

Interesting description. I have never seen a rugby match. Must have been fun !

1:03 PM  
Blogger Point 5 said...

what were u doing at Rugby game ?

1:35 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Punkster,
The english team had the most good-looking men, if you ask me ;)

Jingu,
Hopefully the former ;)

Totti,
Hehe... yes the England Rugby Union is the oldest in the world. But I'm guessing the game reached Fiji on account of it being an english colony at some point of time. So there.

DEG, Alice,
Yup, it was a blast!

Karuna,
Oh but it was fun! Trust me, I'm no rugby fan, but it was still awesome :D

Apy,
Domo arigato. Isnt that how they say 'thank you'? :)

Ekta,
But its much easier to understand than cricket. And watching 22 minute matches doesnt ever bore you :)

Green,
I think watching any sporting event live has a charm.

Pointy,
Watching, apparently :p

1:41 PM  
Blogger Arroclint said...

rugby is one brutal game man... i dont understand how they dont break anything?

2:27 PM  
Blogger Anand said...

Hey,
Am more of a football person!
Guess what going to germany for the FIFA cup!!!
Am counting each day!!

4:09 PM  
Blogger ~RAUL~ said...

cool...i always luv outdoor sports...thought football still rules...

Nice song NST...

Accha have u heard "Aazmaale Aazmaale" from Taxi No 9211...Amazing song...plz plz plz put it na...

8:34 PM  
Blogger burf said...

pls fulfil raul's request

pls pls pls

:D

11:12 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Clint,
I was surprised too! They would fall all over each other but no big damage.
A friend said... Rugby is a rowdy game played by gentlemen :)

Anand,
WOW! You are off to Germany? I'm sure a LOT of people envy you for that ;)

Raul, Burf,
I already put that song a few weeks back. Dont wanna repeat, though I love the song.

1:38 AM  
Blogger bluegreenflysplat said...

ew. i'm still going to hate stadium games. whatys up cassie?

1:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think, last time, I took at look at the site counter here and said, No comments.

Where will you be? Section, box, etc? Will buy tickets accordingly.

[You get a lot of free food anyway, otherwise would have offered to buy yours too.]

5:15 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Bgfs,
Oh you have to try it once. Especially the dancing between the matches was awesome fun :D

SS,
Hehehe... dont look at the counter ;)
I will be in the gallery of course. People in grandstand dont dance and cheer... they clap daintily. Tsk tsk.
And no free food! Where? When? Its an illusion, I assure you ;)

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home