Tuesday, November 08, 2005

I swear I dont swear

Yes, go ahead. Call me a sissy, or call me uptight, but I just dont use many four letter expletives. No I am not going to judge you for judging me, or for swearing on your own time. I dont do moral-policing, my dear.

Okay, I digress.

Anyways, so the one word that I use as a substitute for all swears, is "bitch". I mean, a girl's gotta have some way of venting out her emotions! But then again, the word takes on very varied meanings, depending on the context of use. So, inspired by my (un)successful attempt to dymystify "cute", I decided to attempt the same with "bitch" and how girls you it.

1) Referring to self: Statements like 'oh I'm just being a bitch' certainly isnt an indication that you can call me one! It just means that although I am a sweet little thing on most occasions, I can be a meanie at times, and am proud of that. Its our way of saying we are tough, or funny, when we need to be.

2) Referring to close girl friends: Yes, we do use it as a compliment to each other, in each others' company. Usually accompanied with a smile, the line 'oh, you are such a bitch' is congratulatory, and sounds more like ah-join-the-club-sistah. Again, it means you are sweet, but its fun when you are mean!

3) Referring to random girls: Yup, this is the time when we use the word in the truest sense. Can be used to describe irritating colleagues, girls we know but wish we didnt, and even women we dont know at all! And well, they deserve it. People who dont ask you out for lunch, or gossip about you, or show off how they lost 2 kgs in the last 2 years, or are mean to your favourite guy in a TV show. Yup, they all deserve it, I say!

4) Referring to guys: Yes I know the correct word here is 'dawg', but what the hell. And it sounds less of an insult referring to them as 'bitches' anyway. Again, it serves the purpose of swearing at someone, and at the same time, doesnt give the guy much of an opportunity to swear back at you. Maybe yeah, in his head, but that's ok. Usually used in a humourous mood, not when starting a catfight, rather dogfight... or whatever it should be called.

5) Referring to life: Well, I've often wondered why does the saying go 'Life's a bitch' and not 'Life's a dog'. But maybe dogs arent all that scheming or manipulative, as life sometimes is. We'll never know, will we? Who's been inside a dog's head anyway. So, origin of phrase - unknown. Usage of phrase - chart topper!


Disclaimer: All examples used are purely fictional. Any resemblance to real people or incidents is (not) purely co-incidental.
Also, feel free to disagree... I dont even claim to represent all females in this world. 3 billion people are too many to speak for, dont ya think?

36 Comments:

Blogger M said...

Casa dahhhlinggg, i completely relate to this post!!!

I too, don't use the four letter word much! Instead i use 'bitch' or 'dawg'. And i've been labelled 'innocent' because i don't swear at all. But well, lets talk about me being innocent and all some other day yea? ;)

Anyways, all the 5 points that you've stated, I AGREE WIT YA SISTAAHH!!! Those are definitely the times i use the word 'bitch'. To self, to random girls, to guys(all the time!!hehe), to close gfs and to life!! In fact i use that word everytime i call up my (close) girlfrens. And i think that's damn cool! Dont ya? Just to call up ur gf and say, "Watsup bitch" or "Eh bitch, wanna meet up today"

Hallelujah to that!

=)

3:07 PM  
Blogger Arroclint said...

yess... life IS a bitch!

3:18 PM  
Blogger Zii said...

Dogs get to
1.Wag tails and eat day night whenever they want ..
2.sleep all day
3.get cuddled by the cutest of chics.
4.not give exams,study, make a career or raise a family!

who ever said it is a dog's life...certainly dint think when he came up with that phrase.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

As long as you don't use other words to replace my favorite swear word by saying "what the fish!" "what the duck" "what the fudge" "what the freak" and such other inherently stupid lines, you will not plummet down the coolness quotient chart.

And what about that super-bitch who doesn't share her "fashion" secrets because she thinks she's richer than you. HA! That Bitch!

3:21 PM  
Blogger Crave to travel said...

I agree with different definitions . I know a bunch of girls who do. So you are not alone. Quite well pointed out, actually.

3:22 PM  
Blogger M said...

Jups- Ooops, i plead guilty! I do use "what the fish" sometimes. But that is ONLY when i just have to swear infront of my parents or some people who think im ALL THAT INNOCENT (when im actually not) ;)

3:26 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Medha,
Are you my evil twin sister? Oh wait, that is Jupiter ;)

Clint,
Yea it will be a bitch, if you keep burning your fingers!

Zii,
*nods head in agreement*
A dog's life, even a pig's life, is certainly more comfortable than ours!

Jupiter,
Ah, THAT bitch will have fun, when she realises I not only shop at that label now, but also get a discount there.
Muahahahahaha :D

Niru,
I know a bunch of girls who do.
So... you dont use the word?

3:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Medha- hahaha! well, I learnt how to swear from my dad, so I can use all hindi gaalis in front on my family. As for the "what the fuck" situation, yeah its a slippery slope, so I cover up like "what the fff..reakin-crazy-shit-hell?"

Yeah it doesn't make any damn sense. I know. But last year, I pulled off "asshole", that was a proud moment.

4:21 PM  
Blogger burf said...

3 bl may be many but the one isn't ;)

lol :D

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can remember when i had called someone a BITCH

I was reading one good novel in library (back in good old school dayz) and hey! at the climax of the most romantic scene, a B-I-T-C-H had torn the page.

but then, i have rarely felt that anyone is a true bitch except for one very good friend of mine (who was a friend once upon a time) and the HR head where i work.

HR heads (male or female) are always truly bitches!

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS (better than the four letter word)...i find true expression and comfort in the word Che...

hate, irritation, disgust...all

5:01 PM  
Blogger aknowkneemoose said...

The name's aknowkneemoose: a_know_knee_moose (a rather convoluted way of saying anonymous, I know. Dunno how anonymous I am, though.

Wrote a comment totally unrelated to the post at hand, but then I thought you'd read it earlier if it were posted here rather than as a comment on Shikha's 'free rides, anyone?' post.

6:52 PM  
Blogger AquaM said...

Good one.
I think I would interpret LIfe is a bitch = Reality BItes

AquaM

7:19 PM  
Blogger Ar Ar Ar Arrrrr said...

Gals use bitch..
Guys use dawwg, jerk, dumb-ass

Hmmmm...

Nice analysis there Casablanca :)

Kewl!!

7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha ha i didnt know a simple term as "bitch" can mean so much

things.
jus updated my vocalbulary and the scenarios where i can use!

well pass on the knowledge to others too..ha ha lol

7:59 PM  
Blogger burf said...

bl = billion

9:50 PM  
Blogger . : A : . said...

You missed out the song by Meridith Brooks.

:-)

10:22 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Burf,
Ah, thanks for clarification. Makes sense now ;)

Paheli,
Oh, dont even get me started on HR and other such useless functions in every company. Grrrr!

A know knee moose,
Haha, sorry for not getting your name right on Shikha's... but it really is a mouthful :D

Aquamarine,
It does?

Arzoon, Godolphin,
Glad to enlighten ;)

.:A:.,
Ah yes... I'm a bitch, I'm a lover :)

10:27 PM  
Blogger Point 5 said...

Calling guys bitch ?!!...If I am not wrong u said u hurt ur neck, not ur head :))

11:21 PM  
Blogger totti said...

i try to curb expletives! they are just too good to resist. bitch is a good one too! that song from masoom had nice lyrics.The thing where she makes life like a little child was cool!

11:22 PM  
Blogger Rohan Kumar said...

Its ok for all females to be a bitch once in while in this big bad 'dog eat dog' world I guess :)

11:50 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Pointy,
Aaarrrggghhh!
*takes a deep breath*
Yes, welcome to the 21st century :)

Totti,
Looks like people are already missing the song.... hmmm, maybe I'll change it back after some time. But as of now, I'm hooked to Saaki.

Rohan,
Good play of words there :)

12:02 AM  
Blogger Jagan said...

well....i knew its tuf to understand girls ..u r just making it more complicated :-) ..freak .. u dont mean wht u say and ppl got to keep guessing wht u meant ah ?

12:31 AM  
Blogger Shashi Iyer said...

surprising none of your other readers remembered to bring to your notice that bitch is also the root form of a verb.

1:43 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Jagan,
I'm trying to simplify the complications I thought :)

Shashi,
Yes, but bitching (the verb) doesnt have too many variable meanings, does it?

2:53 AM  
Blogger Lancelot said...

Well a fair bit of the 3 billion are with you neway on this one... so i guess its fairly well established as a universally applicable word.

3:39 AM  
Blogger Big Man said...

where would we be without swear words... isnt that the first thing we pick up in any language we learn

also dont think 'what the fish' or 'fudge' has quite the same oomph as the real thing.

Think of what "Die Hard" would be like with a PG rating

5:13 AM  
Blogger Keshi said...

High Five Sistah! U got it all right ;-)

Great post abt Bitchology lol! I thoroughly enjoyed reading this.

**Yes I know the correct word here is 'dawg', but what the hell. And it sounds less of an insult referring to them as 'bitches' anyway.

ROFL!


My friends sometimes tell me that I can be a smart bitch or a dumb bitch at times..lol..but it's all cool among friends...when it comes to a real bitch, like u said, that's when the term Bitch stands for what it really means :) But I have never called anyone Bitch in anger...and I never use the F word at anyone...just at myself only when Im really pissed.

And boy, some guys r worse than real dogs..atleast a real dog is loyal :)

As for Life, let it a bitch instead of a dog...cos bitches r beautiful too and dogs r not ;-)


Keshi.

6:53 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Lancelot,
Glad to have more company :D

Big Man,
Naaa... its not a swear, its a concept ;)

Keshi,
Bitchology!!
ROTFL!

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good one gurl!! :D

4:27 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

And it seems to me that more girsl than guys use the 4 letter word more often. I don't even use that on my blog while I have seen many girl bloggers using it, but my not using is technical. Just so that unwanted people don't stumble into my blog via google or other search engines which adds up diffent texts to form a phase like "F**K+ using+ banana + Kitchen". While i might have written. "fuck! I left the kitchen window open". and in another sentence, " when will I learn USING my fingers to peel banana" But google will show me in the front page of the result.

6:18 PM  
Blogger the cowlick said...

I don't like using 'bitch'. Period. It just sounds more sexist than the rest.. and I know I'm wrong in that, but it's just a block. The only way I used it is when I say "bitching" about someone.. And I'm not surprised at all that you don't swear. You're such a sweetie, casa!

6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you can write like this then why do ou bother with trashy vogon poetry(aka shashi iyer)???

6:29 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Rita,
Thanks :)

Anthony,
Well I dont think expletives even have any gender trends now... everyone seems to use it with as much ease.

Cowlick,
You're such a sweetie, casa!
You made my day, there :D

Anonymous,
Its called freedom of choice. Now run along, weirdo.

7:17 PM  
Blogger Khushi said...

Hey,
Except for the 5th one, I could relate to this so very well :)
we have a bunch of four in my office and we've named the group 'BITS' :)

12:54 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

BITS... hahahaha!
That is cool ;)

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home