Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Light

Happy Diwali to all of you!

(duh... what else did you expect me to blog about?)


After feeling low in office (I mean... its the first time I had to work on Diwali - its a holiday even in Singapore!) for a considerable part of the day, I thought of all the things about the festival that I was missing, and how I could fill each of those gaps individually. I wasnt going down without a fight... I had to try hard to make a Diwali out of the day!

So what all did Diwali mean to me?

New clothes - CHECK
Wore my new shirt with pretty french cuffs (oh yay!) to work today.

Good food - CHECK
Had aloo paratha wannabes at Curry-in-a-Hurry for lunch. Atleast it tries to be Indian!

Mithai - CHECK
Well, I'm anyway not a big fan of traditional mithai, so got a packet of chocolate candy from M&S, and munched on it all evening.

Lights - CHECK
Came back from office and lit candles all over the house. Yes I know candles dont compare with the traditional diyas, but it still gave a festive atmosphere to the apartment.
(Photo below)

Puja - CHECK
Found a Hindu Temple nearby, and headed there for the aarti, which was running late... right on Indian standard time.

Family or friends - DARN!
I knew I was forgetting something!!!

Well... as I was leaving the temple and cringed at the thought of this list coming to an abrupt end, I bumped into some friends-of-a-friend. And guess what, I got invited to dinner with them. Fine, sometimes you dont have family with you.
You dont have friends with you.
But maybe you'll have to make do with acquaintances?
So I headed to 'Bombay Dreams' for a good Indian dinner, great conversation and catchy hindi music.

A different Diwali, and some new friends. Not a bad evening eh?

29 Comments:

Blogger Susu said...

well.. mine has been a nite out in my grad lab :(( thinking of buying something from walmart on my drive back home...

4:35 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

But Diwali hasnt started for you yet... there is still hope :)

What happened to the potluck dinner?

5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hei its mainly the spirit of diwali..anywayz have a gr8 diwali and take care casa!

5:23 PM  
Blogger Arroclint said...

howcome no diwali at all? cant u make a fire out of something?

9:20 PM  
Blogger the cowlick said...

happy diwali! mine's over already.. but you must do something.

10:40 PM  
Blogger totti said...

Happy Diwali :) Will update the comment after you write your blog

11:15 PM  
Blogger Rohan Kumar said...

Happy Diwali (hoping u do get to do something to mark it)

11:39 PM  
Blogger Rohan Kumar said...

Btw do u know this urs truly conman guy?

11:52 PM  
Blogger Susu said...

hmm.. yeah today is diwali.. I should have gotten up early .. but its 12:00...
anyways.. its also Bday of a friend(Guru for PSU readers) of mine.. so we sure are having something tonite..

12:51 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Susu,
I managed to make my Diwali happening, I'm sure so can you :)

Godolphin,
Well, its not just the spirit, its the festivities... but in my own way, I tried to get a touch of some of the festivities here!

Anu,
Well... not wacky, but different for sure. Joined some people, who I've only met once before, for dinner!
I dont think we know each other... but we do as bloggers, for sure :)

Clint,
Arson? That's all you can come up with? :p

Cowlick,
Thanks dear... did manage a little something :)

Totti,
Time to update your comment...

Rohan,
Hope you get your potluck dinner going... or something atleast, in the name of Diwali :)
I know Conman from his blog, but not personally.

1:10 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Diwali dear!

I have eaten the following-

badam kheer
coconut barfi
badam burfee
halva
kaju katli
Karanji
jalebi
shrikhand...

hmm.. any more? I have a strong feeling that someone is hurling a chappal at me right now.

p.S. you forgot fireworks.

1:52 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Jupiter,
!#%@^&%~$!*@
Fine. FINE. As I said, I am NOT a big fan of mithai :p

Fireworks... there was no chance. Nor was there any scope of gambling or cards... so didnt even try on these 2 fronts.

2:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happpie diwali...u know wot...a festival is more a state of mind that anything else...and i think u celebrated the festival in the true sense of the term

love u

2:59 AM  
Blogger Crave to travel said...

An interesting perspective - to check things out of a list. Well, making new acquaintances that could potentially turn into friendship sounds like fun to me on a festival day. Happy Diwali!

4:15 AM  
Blogger Arroclint said...

its not arson. its appriciating the element. theres notin more beautiful that watchin something burn...

nice picture btw.

4:59 AM  
Blogger totti said...

thats cool.No fire crackers? I had almost none of the above list.Except the mithai thing. Owe it to my good friend, balaji!

5:27 AM  
Blogger Rohan Kumar said...

chocolate candy = Halloween
Bring on the rasgullas, jalebis, gulabjamuns and laddoos anyday :)

5:46 AM  
Blogger Keshi said...

aww Casa seems like u had a brilliant Diwali...different yet beautiful this time around isnt it...

Keshi.

7:29 AM  
Blogger M said...

Happy Diwali babes! =D

And looks like your Diwali wasnt all that boring eh? Nice!

8:18 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Vikram,
Thanks.

Rahul,
Maybe you should ask that question on her blog.

Yellow,
Yup, I agree. Infact when you told me that on messenger the day before, it really encouraged me to make a Diwali of the day. In my own way :)

Niru,
Yes sometimes we need to break down the 'big festive feeling' into small elements. They might not make the whole, but they making something atleast!

Clint,
Ah, finally someone notices the pic :D

Totti,
Naa... didnt even know where to look for crackers here.

Rohan,
Same... didnt know where to look for mithai here.

Keshi, Medha, Anu,
Yup, made sure I didnt go down without a fight :)

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Diwali to you too :D. Looks like you did have a good time even thought you missed family and friends :)

1:12 PM  
Blogger Brood Mode said...

u got the spirit, that's all that counts!

happy diwali!

1:29 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Rita,
Sometimes you've got to try hard to have a good time... but it works :)

Brood Mode,
Thanks :)

2:34 PM  
Blogger the cowlick said...

lovely pic babe! although I can't make out what it is.. (glad to read you had a nice time.. my husband's in your country for a few days.. he's back on saturday.. yaaayyy!)

4:46 PM  
Blogger Extempore said...

You really sound like you've had a blast, my dear and I am glad! I hope you have a lovely year ahead! :)

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!!! LOVELY SNAP THAT!!
And Happy Diwali to you! :)

7:50 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Cowlick,
Haha.. the pic is of candles, 1 standalone and 2 inside colourful glass holders :)

Extempore,
Not a blast, but was good :D

Neil,
Thanks :)

11:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Rahul- Yes it is my picture and its fairly recent (pre-empting..I know..)...and thank you for the compliment. Tee hee.

Casa- Is this the five-hundredth time someone is questioning the authenticity of my picture? Sorry this one happened on your blog. Im pretty amused though.

2:13 AM  
Blogger Lancelot said...

well, u certainly made a diwali out of the day. And a belated happy diwali... :D

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home