The North Wind
The season is changing. The duvet seems too comfortable to let go, every morning. I tiptoe across the cold marble floor to the shower. The water is hot, and almost burns my skin, but I like it that way. The decision to turn off the hot water and step out onto the cold floor is a harsh one I am forced to make!
The butter has been on the kitchen counter since I woke up, but is still cold and hard. The toast has also lost its warmth within a minute. I must learn to butter two slices at one go. I know its possible. I just need to learn. I dont want to have cold breakfast everyday!
On the way to work, I realise that the shawls, cardigans and boots have come out from everyone's closets. I remind myself - I must decide between the two boots I had shortlisted last week. Also pick the right colour for the jacket. Decisions. Decisions. Decisions.
I have missed fall and winter for 7 years. Heck, I've missed seasons for 7 years! I'm going to make sure I experience this one well enough to serve another seven.
The skin turns drier, and my hand cream has vanished five minutes after stepping out of home. Must remember to use a little more tomorrow. Dont want to be like one of those models on nivea advertisements, who used to scratch the word 'dry' on their skins. Definitely not.
I pick up my tall latte from Starbucks, and head to office.
The season changes. There's a nip in the air, and a spring in my step.


26 Comments:
she's a girl
Yes, I am. Did you ever doubt that Burf? :)
*Clears her throat...
*Croons...
Where did summer go?
How'd I miss..the change of season?
What does he know?
Its cold enough to snowwwwwwwwwww..
*Courtsies..
Oooh I love winters. I just love the cosy warm bed that has hynotic powers over me in the mornings and not to mention the long winter nights watching movies and a good cappucino on the side. Perfect weather for a nice snuggle and some awesome videos.
i know the feeling when winter approaches... almost like a high... read ur last post as well... never thought about all that... and very nicely put too i thought.
kgp is like a place out of the 70s...if u leave out the infrastructure... and a very nice exp if u come over for a couple of days... if u come to india and can make it, do come sometime... and some immense contributions made by some alumni from this place.
seasons changing in this part of the world too... kite surfing season is starting. WOOO HOOO.
i love winterz...
aha enjoy ur winter...it is winter too in dubai now..and it is so pleasent.
hei ur prev post was so apt to me also..and i do belong to the grey ones yaar. actually i had no words to tell about ur prev post..it was too good yaar..mmm :-)
Jupiter,
You have just been appointed the official singer on my wall.
Deal? :)
Saurabh,
Snuggle weather. Absolutely!
Lancelot,
Kgp. Yes, must visit an IIT once in my life atleast, too see what the hoo-haa is all about ;)
Clint,
Go fly a kite!
Hehe.. it was fun to say that :D
Godolphin,
Welcome to the grey side :)
how about a caramel mocha! yummm..!!
Ah, the beginning of winter. I love the feeling.
Maybe a post on it in the near future ... weather permitting of course!
;-)
Oi! I was just thinking about the same thing today. Bombay has no real winter but you know when it is coming nonetheless.
The air, getting drier with every breath, crackles with yearning, a longing for something, anything - and it is always just beyind reach and sight. And then you snuggle into yourself and smile.
It's a lovely feeling, isn't it?
Thank you India,
Thank you Terror..
Thank you disillusionment..
Thank you frailty,
Thank you consequence
Thank you Thank you Silence.......
Wheeeeeeee
Mixed feelings about season! it always has been for me. does it snow in china , though?:p
i think snow is great, in pictures only!when you have to trudge through knee deep snow for 15 minutes to reach the bus stop.where is the fun? :p
Those models needed to be scratched
"EMPTY" across their foreheads
winterz my fav season...i love it....all that cuddling...not wanting to get outta ur bed in the morning...my warm bed and my soft blanket....awesome clothes...those overcoats and jackets....hmmmmm....and kahwa to drink...wow....
thanks for making me feel happy ..
it's winter here in delhi too....well almost..
Cowlick,
But I'll miss the iced coffee in winter :p
.:A:.,
Weather permitting.. hahaha :)
Yes maybe you'll have to step out of Bombay to experience winter, coz I'd sure like to read that post!
Extempore,
I love snuggle weather :)
Jupiter,
I lost you there. I really did ;)
Totti,
No, atleast doesnt snow in HK. Temperature wont go below 8 degrees, but anything is better than Singapore :)
Zii,
But they do make money! So maybe they are smart.. to get paid for looking good? ;)
Alice,
Yes, winter clothing is so awesome! Cant wait to buy my boots!!
And that was just u going from your home to office, if u write abt the rest of ur day u wud have people hanging themselves or jumping from rooftops :)
Oh how I love that the season never changes in bombay, i hate the cold, oohh how i hate it but i looveee bombay winters... 22 degrees... looking forward to it... ooh bliss.
There is such a thing as too much North Wind. When there's about 80 km/h of it and its 4 degrees celsius outside. Not to mention rain which feels like a barrage of Tomahawk missiles on your body.
Seasons? I'm experiencing them for the first time... and they're sort of overrated - give me Bombay weather any day.
Rohan,
Hahaha.. so now I know how to kill you if I have to :D
Karuna,
Ah, nice to see some disagreement. So not everybody likes winters eh.
Anshul,
Well winters should be pleasant (like everything else ;) ). Looks like Boston isnt treating you too well *awww*
I call 8 degrees pleasant...
Bombay? Why Bombay?
:-)
Pointy,
Yea 8 will be nice... mmmm...
.:A:.,
Now dont mess with my head. You mean you are not in Bombay? :p
But you always write as though you are. Hmmm, stop confusing us!!
I didn't say that I was. But I didn't say that I wasn't either.
:-)
What particularly in the writing makes you feel like I write from there?
PS - Time zones can be adjusted. Not a real clue.
Awwww... you actually deleted my comment. That does go to show that I might be on the right track ;)
Well you've never said you are from Bombay, but when people assume that you are, atleast in their comments you dont deny either. Also your comment on GeeBaby when she went to Bombay seemed to suggest that. But yea, you like to confuse your audience, so I cant tell....
Times zones can be adjusted, but few people will take the effort to change it to mislead people. Right now I wouldnt wanna believe you are one of those strange people who would ;)
Totally identified with the hesitation of stepping out of a hot shower into the cold; decisions about the color of the coat and what kind of Boots..:-)
Yes, winter is Great, if we have warmth going along with it. But I am always cold anyway, regardless! For this reason, summer is still my favorite :-) But I am learning to appreciate winters too. Why spend it wishing for something else...when I know what I have on hand is not going to leave, and I should just enjoy it for what it brings. Every season has its flavor :-)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home