Monday, October 31, 2005

The Calling

We all get our calling at some point of time. I got mine yesterday. It hit me just when I woke up. I realised I have had my share of sandwiches, dim sums and pasta, and it was time for some daal-roti!

I walked in, and ordered dinner without looking at the menu. Jojo's is a swanky Indian restaurant, and on weekends, they have a great crowd puller - a lacquer bangle maker, who sits with his baandni pagdi and jodhpuris, and churns out colourful bangles by the minute! As the risk of sounding like a firang, I must say that there was something very charming and exotic about watching him make these bangles right before my eyes. Yes, I've seen these artists by the dozen in India, but it still was a treat to watch. But the non-Indians around were totally mesmerised! They wanted custom-made ones. For themselves. For their girlfriends. For their wives. I almost got tempted to shell out 50 bucks myself, but the colours were a little gaudy for my taste. And I realised once again, Indian is in!

Topshop sells made-in-India accessories for (atleast!) triple the price. Esprit has embroidery and embellishments on every top in their 'Select' range. Marks & Spencer has 'pashmina' stoles selling like hot cakes. And (hold your breath for this!) Calvin Klein has a pair of jeans with zardozi going for a mere 60,000 rupees. And yes, people are paying good money for this Indian touch!

I feel good about this fashion turn. Firstly, I can wear my ethnicwear and accessories more often. Secondly, I can get it for almost a fifth of the price whenever I go home! Yes, its been tweaked and twisted to suit the needs... for instance, I doubt when it was first invented in India, the kurta was intended to be sexy. But it is today. Sexy, cool and very stylish. But they say, any publicity is good publicity, so I am not complaining!

As Mira Syal put it so well: Brown is the new Black!

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hei casa..that was nice..
i too feel the same whenever i go out somewhere in dubai..its all the way indian.
i think any indian outside the country feels so!
whenever i goto global village during shopping festival..im still awed by the indian stalls!
take care gal

10:53 AM  
Blogger Point 5 said...

Kurta's r sexy ? How so ?

11:02 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Godolphin,
Ummm.. I dont think its just coz being an Indian, I notice indian stuff. It really has arrived on the fashion scene, with celebrities wearing indian clothes to Hollywood events and stuff!

Pointy,
The ones that are for girls, are definitely sexy and stylish.
Jealous? ;)

11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well thats right too..its indian fashion which is hogging the limelight these days..
i had many of my non indian clients enquire so much!

11:16 AM  
Blogger M said...

Kurta is so so so sexy!!! And indian jewellery too! As in accessories.. and you are SO right! I was in Mango the other day, and one kurti costs like 150 bucks!!! What the hell! Damn good way to do business..but i am SO proud that indian fashion is the latest thing..and it is here to stay!! =D

11:54 AM  
Blogger Prince K. said...

Very much... But then Indian gals look very vewry veeeewwwwrry gorgeous in Saris!

12:47 PM  
Blogger . : A : . said...

Yes, Indian style is definitely catching on everywhere. Great observations.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Kaps said...

I hv been to the Jojo's Indian Mess in Wanchai. Good ambience and great food. The owner has a great business sense....he makes more money during cricket matches as he has some sort fo entry fee for the people who want to come and see the match in a big screen.

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At the risk of sounding rude and insensitive, I have to say that I do not really appreciate this love for the ‘India traditional’ goods. To me it is the firang’s way saying that he loves the exotic called India – the gaudy colours, the spicy food (chicken tikka masala is quite a rage in the west), etc. We are still the land of snake charmers and fakirs. Somehow reminds me of some kind of invention of tradition (I borrowed the expression from Eric Hobsbawm’s path breaking work). I feel things are being ‘invented’ and being turned into fads.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Anu,
Solution to remove henna? Now that might be interesting :)
But why would anyone want to remove it in the first place... mehendi is sooo lovely!

Medha,
But you dont have to spend 150 bucks at Mango. Just wait till the next time you go to India :)

Kazarelth,
Oh, I thought indian gals looked good in everything ;)

.:A:.,
Its spreading like wildfire!

Kaps,
The one in Wanchai is actually closing down, coz they are demolishing the building. I usually go to the Jojo's on Paterson Street.

Rita,
Well I was waiting for someone to pick on that.. not rude at all :)
But my belief is, its atleast one step at a time. Fine, nobody in India actually wears zardozi jeans and embroidered camisoles, but atleast the art is getting a window. And yes, today the artisans might not be getting paid much, but atleast the art is sustained?

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indian girls look good only sometimes - aammm.. once a week, once a month, maybe once a year.
aah.. lets not put a number to it.

2:14 PM  
Blogger the cowlick said...

Oh yeah! I so love the kaftan.. everyone's wearing it now. And I'm glad to show off I've worn them since college!

2:37 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Cowlick,
Yup yup, time for us to be the fashion divas!

Anu,
Hmmm.. not sure I understood the context of your comment. Elaborate please :)

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Casablanca,
I agree that the artisans are getting paid, even though it may not be great. I agree that the art is sustained. But at what price?
Yes, it is economically viable for India. But does it change the way others look at us and our 'tradition'?

4:40 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

No its not just about economic viablity. Its about the artists getting an international recognition.
And yes it wont change our image of a country of snake charmers, but surely these myths have existed for a long time, and isnt because of this new Indian trend in fashion?

11:35 PM  
Blogger karuna said...

Brown is the new black :) never heard that before cute
Accessorize (UK) sells colaba causeway jewelry for more than 5 times the price!!!
But India is definately in

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home