Dark
Inspired by Pointy's thoughts on his latest post where he asked, what would people run for if they were not competing with each other?
If money grew on trees,
life would be simpler
and I wouldnt be racing
against you.
If money grew on trees,
I would be a gardener
and tend to my plants
to yield more
and more.
If money grew on trees,
I would sneak
into your backyard
and trim it
before you noticed.
If money grew on trees,
I would want mine
to be
the tallest tree
no matter what it took.
If money grew on trees,
I might
sell my soul for it.
But then again,
I think
I've already done that.


35 Comments:
oh nice! (There's this ad that comes here about rugby league [it's a sydney ad though, no one will be caught dead watching league in Melbourne] but the ad is about how it's not "just a game".. how tempers run high and lives are at an edge and how pride is so important and how it's a matter of life and death, "it's not just a game, mate".. donno why i'm writing this here.. but your competition line reminded me of it, it's an awesome ad)
Yup, its never just a game. Somethings can never be equalised. No matter how hard you try, you can never eliminate competition :)
One answer that comes to my mind is people run for their lives..but even then ,they try to get somewhere before someone else...
Bolero,
Yup, there can never be an equaliser... can it? Humans can make a competition out of anything!
Anu,
Sorry, no vacancy. I tend my plants myself ;)
Broken Verses,
Sorry, but I have no idea who Dr.Fastus is. Please enlighten...
the guy who sold his soul to satan.. christopher marlow's play.. sometime in early 20th century.. like brendan fraser in bewitched.
sawry.. not bewitched, bedazzled.. with the sexy liz hurley
Ah... Dr.Faustus.
Thanks Cowlick.
Thanks Google.
if money grew on trees, it'd jst be rectangular leaves.
"I would sneak
into your backyard
and trim it"
U won't race against me, but would steal? :p
if money grew on trees, the world wide deforestation might just stop! :)
And yes, we have sold our souls for pennies lady! Thats sad for sure!
'If money grew on trees,
I would be a gardener'
I wud probably buy the best gardners in the world
'If money grew on trees,
I would sneak
into your backyard'
I wud probably just buy ur backyard
'If money grew on trees,
I would want mine
to be the tallest tree'
I wud probably go in for more trees rather than concentrating my energies on one
Pardon me for trivialising ur post, I truly think it very well worded (and I hope I can be excused coz of the fact that I inspired the post that inspired you to write this post) :)
I guess if we stopped competing with eachother...we wd just start competeing with our yesterdays to make a better today and an even better tomorrow!! Its difficult to comprehend the simpicity of living for the moment and celebrate life ...just as it is ....HAPPY DIWALI To you ...here's hopin that all your wishes come true.
Why is everyone missing the obvious.
I would start a seed for such trees business.
I would be rich ..Richhh..RICHH!
Hey excellent one !! Do u pursue gardening as a hobby though ??
When I have enuf money to buy a garden, I shall seek ur services (but living in Southern California, thats never gonna happen...so u can breathe easy :)))
Clint,
Maybe money would change shape in such a world ;)
Jay,
Well... I'm not too good at explaining what I write, but lemme give it a try:
*a deep breath*
The point of the poem, is that if we think money could be an equaliser and put an end to people competing, think again. Even if money came easily to us, we would still compete - for more of it.
Hope that makes sense now :)
Neil,
Hey, maybe your soul went cheap... I sold mine for a big sum :D
Rohan,
But why would the gardeners want to work for you? ;)
Hey, inspiration only works one step... you cant keep rewinding it to take credit for everything :p
Anu,
Hmmm... but inflation wouldnt matter right, coz we have money growing on trees? ;)
Rusty,
Yup, that's one way to look at competition.
Happy Diwali to you too!
All my wishes? Are you sure? :)
Zii,
Ah, now that's an entrepreneur!
Pointy,
Inspired by you... now say thanks :p
i think i'd do just about what i do now.
we wont like money then...and i agree with Anu on the inflation front........an apple wd cots u your tree....i know i know....i shd chill...what the heck...nice thought ......we can play with then instead of leaves...
Thanks !! I still cant believe that my post can inspire someone to scribble :))
I shall post an "inspired by Identity (crisis ?) " soon....
Nicely worded.
Applause!! pointy..dekh aur kuch seekh..casa acknowldeged that the post was inspired by yours.Let this serve as a reminder for you not to plagiarise stuff generally.Give due credit :))
Casa - good one. If money grew on trees, i will rake backyards for free.
@Totti...read the first line of my post, and see where the food for thought came from...u shld be the last person in the world to talk abt plagiarism...
@casa...sorry for spamming ur blog..but creeps like Totti need to be sized up..
Coz I got all the answers when the gardners go 'Show me the money' :)
As for the inspiration bit I guess even u shud be looking at the bigger picture;)
Hey casablanca..
Thanks for dropping by my blog.
I am busy because of my exams :), so couldnt reply you earlier :).
Nice blog you have here.
with regards
FM
Anu,
Chole kulche? Is that a bribe? :)
Alice,
An apple would cost us a tree... sounds funny, doesnt it :D
Pointy,
Look forward to your post on identities.
Archster,
So you havent left for Bombay yet? Good good.. keep blogging!
Totti,
Yup you will have to rake it for free. Nobody is gonna pay you for it anyway!
Hahahahahaha
Pointy & Totti,
Please continue the comment war on my space. In the meanwhile, I will go get some popcorn to munch during this show :)
Rohan,
Arrggghhh! The picture again!
And the blame game continues...
FM,
Thanks.. but you been to my blog before, havent you :)
Interesting introspection. At the end of the day we are "running to stand still".
nice...but if you trim the other person's garden, then you'd again be competing. paradox it is.
.:A:.,
I guess some of us have to run to stand still, coz the others are running so fast, isnt it?
DD,
Hmmmm... sigh.
Please see my explanation to Zii above for that :)
If money grew on trees, I would rather not have a graden...for it would have made me a monster...
Good one Casablanca!
Keshi.
Its quite funny,
that while chasing money,
you make your life so tough,
but its just never enuf.
I wish I could give my chase a pause,
to just figure out the cause,
why I started it all,
it just makes life so complicated afterall.
An attempted poetry.. but I hope my intentions are conveyed... I know I can make more, but then probably I dont really need it anymore....
Keshi,
Wondering... do monsters have souls?
Susu,
Yup your intentions were conveyed very well, even without the explanation :)
As always I admire your writing a lot. Emotive, expressive and just right.
Have a wonderful Diwali... do let us know & 'see' how you celebrated.
Anu,
It worked ;)
Saurabh,
Thanks.
Well... lets see how the day goes. As of now, doesnt look like Diwali for me will be anything worth reporting.
Monsters have souls that r sleeping...
Keshi.
Ah, that makes sense.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home