Friday, October 21, 2005

If Only

"I really like being friends with you. If only, you were a little more sensitive."

Fine, replace 'sensitive' with 'understanding', 'tolerant', 'grateful', 'open' or whatever word you fancy. The point is, that dont we all do this at some point of time? Say that we like someone, and then wish we could tweak some facets of his or her personality? No we dont want version changes (else we wouldnt like the person in the first place!), we just want some tiny upgrades. That's ok, isnt it?

No its not.

If you cant accept a person for what he or she is, you dont really like the person. He is just somewhat close to your idea of a perfect friend or love, and you, consciously or subconsciously, feel that in some way you need to bridge the gap between what he is today, and what he should be. But do you ever care to think, that if he was 'perfect', he might not be your friend?

Lets not ask for too much.
Lets accept people for what they are.
Lets not try, or wish, that we could tweak someone's personality to suit us.

Its a package deal. Take it. Or leave it.

20 Comments:

Blogger Anshul said...

You mean, I'm really only kidding myself when I say, "I love life, but only if I get free pizza once a week and a new gadget once a month?"

Damn!

10:08 AM  
Blogger Rohan Kumar said...

True thats why they say love is blind and u therfore overlook all the shortcomings in a person when u r truly in love with someone :)

10:36 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Let's try... even though I don't think I'll ever get there.

But what if its another scenario, what if you truly loved someone, everything about them..and then changed. Not that change is a bad thing.. but what if they changed..and you don't love that person anymore?

Let's try and love eternally, regardless of changes. Let's accept people for what they are, and for what they become. Isn't that unconditional love?

Sigh, I need a drink.

3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my status : half sleepy but philosophical..he he lol

well when we have a friend its for sure he/she is sensitive/understanding/tolerant etc etc..
but it always boils down to a point that we need to accept them as is where basis right which as u rightly said...a package.
nice thought casablanca

3:30 PM  
Blogger burf said...

it is sad to think that you loose a lot more when u let go the deal :(

4:25 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Anshul,
Please go have your dinner, so you dont sound hungry all the time ;)

Rohan,
Yup, we should be ready to overlook or accept shortcomings in love.

Jupiter,
Change is quite a different matter... remember my post, Change It? No even I wont agree that we should have to accept all changes in a person...

Godolphin,
No, not everyone you are fond of is going to be sensitive. You might like them inspite of that...

Burf,
If only we realised that... and stuck to what we had, without trying to play God and change people :)

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think i can only say this..
no one is perfect untill u fall in love with him/her............anyways nice blog casa

5:45 PM  
Blogger the cowlick said...

It's not easy. We're all perfect in our own eyes and seek for someone who closely resembles us. That's why we search for like-minded friends - "it's fine if they have a few things lacking, at least they're the closest I can get to being friends with myself" - know what I mean?

6:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats right...but sometimes we dont accept... cos we love so much...

9:31 PM  
Blogger FM said...

how about some extra hot sauce in the package ;) .

Well you are right we should accept the people as the way they are.

with regards
FM

10:34 PM  
Blogger alice said...

i agree both to u Casa and Jupiter...love the person for who he/she is and also love them eternally...
which is quite difficult i tell u...just being honest...

10:44 PM  
Blogger Point 5 said...

Agreed...but then yeah dil maange more ....and thus will shall always yearn for those extra little things...If people could be contented with what they have, then the whole world would be a happy place....

1:39 AM  
Blogger G Shrivastava said...

Hear hear!!!

Couldn't agree with you more!

2:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like change. Change is good.
Except women getting fatter,
which they inevitably do.
*Sigh*

J.

3:15 AM  
Blogger totti said...

It is as simple as that.*Nods head in agreement*

5:50 AM  
Blogger Subhrajyoti Mukhopadhyay said...

nice,really nice !

10:12 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Anon,
Not sure if I understood your point though...

Cowlick,
Yup, I agree.

Rusty,
Ironic, isnt it?

FM,
Extra hot sauce? Are you dating someone at McDonalds? ;)

Alice,
Loving eternally.. I dont know if thats difficult, or totally impossible!!

Pointy,
You do have a point there. Dil maange more.. if we get the 'perfect' person, maybe the meaning of 'perfection' will change for us again... so its an unending cycle?

Captain, Gee, Totti, Dreamz,
:)

10:17 AM  
Blogger Shashi Iyer said...

true... but only if we genuinely feel that the "package" is accepable, or rather lovable. the problem, however, is that we try to thrust upon OUR likes, and most often, shortcomings as well, because we don't have the courage to accept our own shortcomings and endeavour to evolve. and if there is a person one likes despite his "upgradable" qualities, is that not a compromise?

5:13 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Shashi,
Yes it surely is a compromise.. but we cant always get perfection, can we? And as I said.. if you dont like the 'package', dont take it.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Shashi Iyer said...

so lets not concieve the flaws as a compromise in the first place

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home