Wednesday, October 26, 2005

A four letter word

I got invited to a pre-diwali 'desi' gig last week, by the DJ himself! Awesome! I excitedly reported this piece of good news over instant messenger to two of my friends (one guy, one girl) who were online at that time. The reactions were:

Friend 1: Big deal man. Maybe he's a loser.
Friend 2: Oh how CUTE! So nice of him!

Well I'm sure its not difficult to figure out which response came from whom :)

C-U-T-E. The over-used, multi-meaning, four-letter-word that we girls use left, right and center!
An adorable cuddy teddy bear? Cute!
A dirty, hairy dog which looks more like a mop? Cute!
A hulk of a boyfriend, who at 6'4" and 90kgs, could scare away little children? Cute!

And no, its not a limited vocabulary, that is a problem. Its not even about using the word and not meaning it, like guys use f*** (or maybe they do mean it. Some people are strange anyway =p).

Cute is adorable. Cute is sweet. Cute is warm and cuddly. Cute is something that makes me smile, in a childish and innocent sort of a way. So sunsets are not cute - they are beautiful. And boots are not cute - they are sexy. And kisses are not cute - they are romantic. Get it?

For some reason most guys dont get the concept that is cute. Sigh.
Well, if some girl calls you or your words or your actions cute, just take it as a compliment and be happy. And for the love of god, dont ask What is so cute about this?

Coz then it aint cute anymore!

33 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

to use " fuck ".
now that is " C*** ".

1:12 PM  
Blogger Anshul said...

Sorry, no. Still don't get it.

Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump.
Arnold Schwarzenegger in the Eraser.
Viggo Mortensen in Lord of the Rings.
Leonardo Di Caprio in Titanic.

How can they all be clumped into one word?

Anyway, I've given up on this one. The word cute now triggers an automatic shutdown of all brain circuits :)

1:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My friends back home cringed everytime I said it, so much so, that they denounced each and everything/person taht I called cute.
So sad.

Cute is not just a word, it is a state of mind eh?

1:47 PM  
Blogger Eleventy Seven said...

I can see the arguement for the day building up here.

It's just something I have come to accept as a word to totally ignore.
Women and their ways.

...but somewhere we love em all. :-)

2:12 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Anonymous,
Sorry, it isnt.

Anshul,
Eeewwwwww.
Whoever said Schwarzenegger was cute????!!!!

Jupiter,
Absolutely! They just dont get it, do they?

Saurabh,
No arguements here.
This aint no gender war.
I dont do wars.

2:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Anshul, cute is an overused word. Infact no guy uses f*** as much as girls use cute.

PS: How was the desi gig and how are the desi chokras/chokris in HK

3:12 PM  
Blogger Madame Mahima said...

everytime someone calls me 'cute' a wisecracking friend of mine says with a completely deadpan expression "in the dictionary 'cute' is defined as 'ugly but adorable."

that is SO not cute.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Ritwik,
I already said it is an overused word. No disagreement there :)

PS: Gig was AWESOME.
Hot/Hotter.


Mahi,
Yes I know the ugly-but-adorable line is used very often... but then as I said, 'cute' isnt just a word. Its a concept ;)

3:20 PM  
Blogger Arroclint said...

i used to get "cute" a lot before. now if a woman calls me cute id think shes got a limited Vocabulary. im anything but cute. its actually warped my mind as to what the exact definiation of cute is.

3:22 PM  
Blogger M said...

This is SO true! Everytime i tell a guy, "That is SO cute!", he will go like, "whats so cute about that?!" Oh puhleeez, just say a simple 'thanks' and move on.Or better still, don't say anything at all. Just dont ask us THAT question. Its for us girls to know..and you guys will never understand!

3:42 PM  
Blogger Kaps said...

Both f**k and cute have become so overused that we need to start looking for some alternatives.

3:56 PM  
Blogger karuna said...

Good job, and peopel still don't get it! No wonder they can't understand women.
At the risk of sounding sexist... woman may be complicated but men are just dum! (sometimes)

4:25 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Clint,
Warped your mind!! Take it easy dude, its just a a word :)

Medha,
*nodding in agreement*

Kaps,
Hmmm

Karuna,
Risk? Haha.. that was out and out sexist, but its fine :D

4:38 PM  
Blogger burf said...

lol, girls will be girls; funny and duf**** ;), just that guys cant live without them :p

4:38 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Okie people, I used the f-word as an example. Bad example. Maybe I'll change it. But can you'll stop swearing on my blog for no particular reason?

4:49 PM  
Blogger Arroclint said...

i know its just a word... i just dont understand the context in which it is used anymore

5:04 PM  
Blogger Dreamy Eyed Gal said...

xactly...and wen the person...well guys obviously say "wots so cute abt it?" then it stops being cute...so true!!!

5:32 PM  
Blogger Arroclint said...

oh and please refer to jupiters coments on latest post!
I got "cute" once again. provin my point that the word cute is lost in the oblivion of expression.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Clint,
Hahahahaha! I'm with you on this one. The cowboy pic is nowhere near cute :D
Hey but your pic is really cool now.. changing colours and all!

Mysterygal,
:-)

5:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

*high pitched*
Nooooooooooooooooo

It is cute! Its a very cute picture! Bring it back I say!

Why is cute such a difficult word to comprehend, i think its the psuedo macho complex. :P

Yes, Clint, I'll be mean until the picture is changed. This gif. scares me a little.

6:03 PM  
Blogger the cowlick said...

In my opinion, most things that are not fuckable are just plain cute.. like cute is a boyfriend you still haven't slept with, cute is the dog (never mind that).. cute is the dress.. blah blah.. therefore, someone who calls, for example, the steaming Daniel Vettori, "cute" is just plane silly.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Eleventy Seven said...

*Patting my back as my prediction comes true*

Well how's the 'cute' debate going (Casa :Note I didnt use the word 'war' :-) )

Me quite likes these gif effects. How how?

6:21 PM  
Blogger Eleventy Seven said...

I spilt coffee all over my key board and had my entire office wondering what made me do that. Cowlick, that 'dog' bit was too funny.

I've gotta find a good reason for this mess ...

But cute is what DoJ says... a state of mind. For most of these girls its just that.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Arroclint said...

"most things that are not f***able are just plain cute..."
i like this defination no matter how morbid it sounds!

7:20 PM  
Blogger alice said...

i love this def by Cowli"most things that are not f***able are just plain cute..."

9:23 PM  
Blogger Once the Conman said...

hahahahahaaha... I think this is a cute discussion...
Mwaahahahaahahaha...
I read the whole damn thing...
God!
But I'd have to agree with cowlick...

10:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hmmm..Matthew Perry's cute. I'd fuck him. Maybe not the shaggy dog, but definitely Perry

10:50 PM  
Blogger M (tread softly upon) said...

cute :))
BTW loved the India and identity post.

1:00 AM  
Blogger Zii said...

the DJ maybe cute at losing.

2:24 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Saurabh,
So are you becoming a fortune teller soon?

Conman,
Its not like someone put a gun to your head and made you read the whole damn thing :p

Ravi,
Thanks for the clarification.. didnt get it from the first comment actually ;)

Zii,
Duh. Nothing about the cute DJ. No word!

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved the post..and I laughed at the very end :-) So true! Haha

I have had a guy friend laugh and make good fun of me everytime I use the word Cute :-) Sometimes, it's just the best way to explain! What can I say....:-)

6:52 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Harshi,
Just say.. the post is 'cute' ;)

11:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the post is cute ;-)

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home