Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Talking to myself

I never imagined myself watching Desperate Housewives, leave alone quoting from it on my blog! What can I say... I guess sometimes I do surprise myself.

The biggest lies are the ones we tell ourselves before we go to sleep each night, desperately hoping, that they will come true in the morning.
(from memory, hence the quote is not verbatim)

Last night I was chatting with a friend, who remarked that I have a certain behavioural attribute X, as opposed to Y. Now X and Y are totally contrasting attributes. Neither is right or wrong. They are just diametrically opposite, that's all. But I knew I belonged to category Y. I wasnt upset about being told otherwise, because its not a "bad" trait. I was upset because I thought my friends ought to know me well! But I cant change what someone thinks, can I? I convinced myself that X or Y didnt matter, as I went to sleep.

A morning brings with it certain realisations about the day that has passed...

Who was I kidding last night? I wasnt upset because he categorised me wrongly. I was upset because I dont want to be of type X. I was upset because I, being the judgmental person that I am, feel that it is wrong to of type X. "Wrong". And even if I were a wrong person, I'd much rather be seen in the right light.

Confused.... or a hypocrite?

22 Comments:

Blogger Eleventy Seven said...

Aah! Finally someone hits the nail on its head. I come across such contradictions numerous times in my talks with 'friends'. They do seem to read you well dont they. I am labelled as an Arrogant person because of the very fact that I refuse to accept that I am indeed a 'Y' and not X.

But somewhere I beleive we need to beleive in it, in ourselves and all that we want to be. Sure the world might perceive us differently but these discussions often help us align our outer images to our inner ones - the ones we 'want' to be.

Confused or hypocrite? I say both. Only difference being they perceive you to be a hypocrite but inside you're only confused because your inner and outer skins dont match.

Welcome to my world! :-)

P.S: you're a consistent Hit-the-nail-on-the-head writer. :-P

6:59 PM  
Blogger the cowlick said...

Normal, I'd say. I was just going to write about this.. how one person can behave totally different (about the same thing) in two different situations. So chill, you're not crazy.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Arroclint said...

A mirror will always show you the opposite of what you are. but everyone around us sees what u really are. so introspectively you will always be Y, u need an outta body experience to see that ure x.

7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What are X and Y? That would spice up the blog but yeah, I know what you mean. I have some labels attached to me that I didnt buy (no shopping pun intended) nor endorse.

- RMOPLF

8:30 PM  
Blogger burf said...

complex us...

9:21 PM  
Blogger . : A : . said...

Confused.... or a hypocrite?

Maybe neither. Tough question to answer.

9:44 PM  
Blogger Point 5 said...

Interesting interpretation of lines of Desperate Housewives....incidentally I saw the sets of the serial at Universal Studios, Hollywood this Sunday....unfortunately they weren't filming and I missed a chance to catch a glimpse of Eva Longoria

10:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Testing 1 2 3

10:40 PM  
Blogger totti said...

Hyprocrisy is a hypocritic word.It is something on the inside and something else on the outside :P

10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well now am confused ....btw howz desperate housewives???

10:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hei btw..which place was ur prev post..i mean the post..??

11:00 PM  
Blogger alice said...

and i thought i m a complex person....

11:27 PM  
Blogger Princessse said...

this is so intriguing casa, esp since someone left me a rather awkward comment on my latest post (not you!!), trying to tell me that I was probably feeling what I was feeling coz of 'y reason' and I was adamant that it had nothing to do with 'y' ... and I din't like being told something that I knew to be incorrect, especially when it was regarding my OWN feelings / sentiments, which presumably, i would know better than some anonymous who decides to leave a nameless comment on my blog!

But the comment certainly made me think - whether it really WAS reason 'y' rather than the 'x' I was thinking. More so, the comment BECKONED me to think coz the person called me too stubborn to 'accept' the truth.

At the end of the day, I think saurabh's abs. right. We must believe in what we feel because to our inside world, only we know what we feel in a given moment in time. On the other hand, it's also fair to say that maybe to ourselves, an 'in the body and mind of princess' experience, we perceive ourselves to be 'x' but an out of body / mind experience would tell us otherwise. Right-on Arroclint!

11:27 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Saurabh,
Indeed. Agree with your concept of inner and outer skins not matching.

Cowlick,
Yup, behaviour is not binary :)

Clint,
Who is the mirror? Sorry, I lost you there... explain please.

RMOPLF,
X and Y are inconsequential ;)
And if I intended to disclose it, I would have already done so in the post :)

Burf, Alice,
Maybe complexities make us interesting, eh? :)

.:A:.,
Your "maybe neither" is strangely comforting!

Pointy,
Howz your tourist-guide side job coming along? :D

Jupiter,
Test successful. It works!

Totti,
Stop confusing me, and explain what you mean by that :p

Godolphin,
Why are you confused?
Desperate Housewives is as far from reality as possible, therefore highly entertaining :D
Which place was my previous post? Dont understand that...

Princesse,
Yes I think sometimes its creepy to have an outsider claim that he knows us more! But you know what... maybe sometimes an objective view is really required for us to see what the world sees us as.

11:58 PM  
Blogger Princessse said...

YEa, true but isn't the prospect that someone else knows us better than we know ourselves thoroughly terrifying!!! :0

1:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

argh.. iwas so sleepy when i commented earlier..he he
there was one pict right in ur prev post..i asked..which place was that.
i hope iam clear now..he he..well am still sleepy

3:20 AM  
Blogger Arroclint said...

casa. when anyone looks into a mirror. you always see the opposite of you. ure left hand becomes the right hand. a mirror reflects everything. thats y when u pass a window of a store with a camera and a monitor its always confusing cause u feel everything is opposite. but its actually right.

in the same fashion, speaking philosophically, if you look at the mirror you are not really seeing ureself as the world sees you. you see ure self totally opposite of what everyone else does. hence you see y and everyone else sees X.

is it makin sense to you now or should i just get out of the philosophical talks?

3:44 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Princesse,
Hehe.. we cant live in denial, can we? :)

Godolphin,
Yes you make more sense after your nap :)
The picture was taken on Lantau Island, Hong Kong.

Clint,
Ya get your point now. Infact quite fascinating. But I wish the world wasnt so complex... I wish mirrors didnt do a 180 degree reflection, and others also saw us for who we were. Well....

10:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

And now for the sensible comment.

Truth is we're always going to be judged based on what we say, do,wear,write,eat...point is does it really matter? We evolve, we change, we dump our old principles for new ones. C'est la vie. The only thing to look out for is to not let judgements/perceptions (your own or others') make or break you.

P.S. MEN--Always judging us aren't they? *scowls and shakes her fist*

10:39 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Jupiter,
Couldnt agree more! As we change and evolve, our principles change. And there's no shame in that, is there?

1:08 PM  
Blogger Shashi Iyer said...

i do not know the answer. it kinda evades me, although i should not be saying that.

p.s. beautiful post

5:01 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Shashi,
I guess sometimes its enough to atleast ask the right questions... only then we can start looking for the answers :)

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home