Saturday, September 24, 2005

My language, my rules

I remember discussing the sitcom FRIENDS with one of my friends. After some time he said "You know you are a little like Monica". I didnt like the sound of that, but I still ventured, "Cute?".
"No, control freak".
We laughed, and then I remember saying that I'm not a control freak, I'm just a perfectionist. Being organised, being in control of the situation - that for me, is perfection.

The point is... a control freak is a person who has an obsessive need to control other people or situations. Perfectionism, on the other hand, is defined as a meticulous pursuit to reach excellence. And just because I prefer the sound of the one word over the other, I cant define myself using it. Language has some rules. So its not enough to say, "well, I like to call it....". Coz unless you coined that word, you dont have the liberty to use it to massage your ego as and when you want.

You go out with someone, have romantic inclinations, and then say... I dont call this a date. But my dear friend, it is a date! You lead a person on no end, hugs kisses and all, till the person is 110 percent certain you love him.. and then you say, this for me is friendship. Ok, lousy examples. Both of them. Because these are vague situations and broad words. But hope you get the point.

All I'm trying to say is, next time, you use a word "your way", think for a minute. You have 2 options - use it the way the world uses it (whether you like it or not), or start a new language. And do keep us informed if you do the latter. I'll enroll for classes.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whts hugs and kisses gotta do wid love?

..Hugs & Kisses r for world peace.
..for spreading the word of d Lord..
..for - one for all and all for one.

whts it gotta do wid looove ???

.. confucius is confused!!!

Thts why i said.. lets all huggg.

Jack
Honorary Convenor
Hugfest 2005.

6:37 PM  
Blogger the cowlick said...

It's all perception.. one calls it control freak, the other perfection.. they're both probably talking about the same thing.

7:12 PM  
Blogger Bhavesh said...

hmm.. was there any other inspiration for dat post..??

7:14 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Justme, not sure which "other" inspiration you are talking about... but yes, some people around have been using this excuse to define things their way. Maybe thats why I wrote this...

9:55 PM  
Blogger Bhavesh said...

hmmm.. like i used d word cheesy uh..?? :-) chillax yaar..!!

10:46 PM  
Blogger Bhavesh said...

if it aint mine.. which was it??

11:23 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Just let it be... ;)

11:29 PM  
Blogger Shashi Iyer said...

i actually uttered those words to someone here in the hostel! and i don't agree with cowlick... afterall all words are well defined. where does the liberty of "perception" creep in??

p.s: and casablance... yeah they were lousy examples (subject to deletion ;))

9:16 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Shashi,
I agree - perception should not be used unless there is vagueness, which in most part of english language, is not.

And yes, the examples are lousy - I already warned the readers. Haha :)

PS: Dun worry, I can take criticism.. so wont delete comments ;)

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home