Thursday, September 15, 2005

Love, Romance and in between

Over the last couple of days, I've read a romantic book and watched a romantic movie. The book, 'Again', I read online on a blog yesterday. A simple book, with guy and girl watching sunsets and doing other sweet things together (there is more to the book of course, but I cant divulge the climax). The movie, the name of which I cant remember, was about the President of USA falling in love with a common girl, and making brave speeches about his love life. Not to forget that the President also stops at a florists' on his way to the White House to buy pretty flowers for his lady love.

Romance. Its warm and fuzzy and smiley and "cute". Hand picked flowers? Any girl will be swept off her feet. A sweet peck on the cheek while holding her hand? She'll melt. A gift for no reason? She's yours forever.

Or... is she?

"Forever" is a result of love. But love in the first place, is a result of romance. Romance is addictive. We need it forever. Truth is, you dont understand why is it romance, and not just love, that we need forever. Ok... so are we going around in circles?!

We (and when I say "we", I mean most girls) love the flowers, the kisses, the gift. No its not the money. We love all this, because there's a 16 year old in each of us, who has read a few too many romantic books and watched far too many mushy movies, and start believing that they portray reality. We start believing that if the President of USA can stop outside a florist, so can my boyfriend.

Did I just take the easy way out, and blame scriptwriters and authors for our behaviour? Maybe.

But then, what if these expectations are not just a consequence of the books we read and the movies we watch. What if, the guy actually gets flowers when courting? What if, he actually calls up in the middle of the night just to say 'I love you' at the beginning of a relationship? What if, he fuels the romantic ideas of the 16 year old within you?

Did I just get another scapegoat, and blame guys for our behaviour? Maybe.

One thing is for certain. Romance is beautiful.
....But it has a shelf life.

Are girls difficult? Yes.
Am I one of them? You bet!

PS: If you are a guy reading this, most of it will probably make less sense than drunken poetry.
If you are a girl reading this... do yourself a favour. DONT let your boyfriend read it ;)

8 Comments:

Blogger Once the Conman said...

Lol...

11:22 PM  
Blogger Once the Conman said...

I don't know about most guys. They seem really different than I am... or so I am told.
It seems stupid, lol... funny too... but even I like flowers, gifts, the kisses...
hahahaha... I do... I so do.
I think God was making a girl, when I came in the way, pushed the girl away and said... "no, it's my turn".

11:27 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Sorry, did I hear it right? You like receiving flowers?!

I am speechless... really :)

11:43 PM  
Blogger Bhavesh said...

mmmm.. gals r always strange and too dififcult to please..!! ehehhe :)

2:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I don't know about others.but I've always been old-school..guy pulling out chair, flowers, the works. Who doesnt want a little romance? I know I do.

Btw, who's the new hottie on your blog *wink*?

2:39 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Jupiter, meet Conman.
Conman, meet Jupiter.
:)

I swear.. a little romance goes a long way. As I said, I am one of those girls too :D

2:51 PM  
Blogger Once the Conman said...

Asalaam Aalekhum.
Hottie toh hum hain... that i won't deny.
lol...
Shukran Jupiter. Needed that ego boost to start off my day.

4:29 PM  
Blogger the cowlick said...

I sob at the end of most romantic movies and then look at myself in the mirror weirdly.. was that me crying? How gross!!

9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home