Sunday, December 30, 2007

This is how we end the year.

It has become a tradition now, hasnt it, this annual retrospection? It has been a quick year, yet so much changed - it is unbelievable. A year of firsts. A year of travel. A year of self-discovery. A year of barriers broken. A year of friends made. A year of friends lost. A year that began with a painful surgery and ended with a life-changing MBA admit. It has been a quick year.

Yes, January did start with a surgery. One which I didnt feel the need to tell family and friends about. Jupiter accompanied me to the hospital and I was in pain for the next 5 days. In hindsight, it was foolish of me to not have others around me - maybe given the events of last December, I was just trying to be a rockstar. But I pulled through.

February saw me failing for the first time, and my inability to handle failure. Things at work took a nosedive, because I didnt get the appraisal and bonus I thought I deserved. Very immature of me to think life was meant to be fair, and that I would always do well. I lost some faith. But I learned some.

March was one of the high points of last year - my first backpacking trip alone. 9 days in Australia, with myself, my camera and my laptop. It is an experience I hold very dear. A week of self-discovery. A week of confidence building - yes I am not an island, but if I need to be for some time, I am capable of it. The moment I remember best? When I was on top of the Sydney Harbour Bridge and felt on top of the world.

April and May were a haze - new boss at work, loads to do, CFA to study for, confusion over next steps in life, decisions at home. It was also somewhere around that time that I made a major investment decision. I cleaned up my savings to buy a tiny apartment in India. Whether I will ever call it home is questionable, but I own it atleast. Rather I will own it in a few months, after I've repaid all loans for it.

June was fantastic. Other than the CFA exam of course. I wouldnt have ever imagined myself holidaying in Zimbabwe if it werent for Buzz. The bungi jump over Victoria falls - another barrier broken. But the moment I'll always remember from that holiday in South Africa and Zim? The day before I left, Buzz and I sitting in the crisp sunny winter afternoon of Nelson Mandela square in Johannesburg, and munching and chatting. I still smile when I remember it.

July and August went by too quickly for me. I didnt start for my GMAT (though I should have), I did party a lot, and I had visitors. Stitch visited for my birthday, and mom visited later. I had a week of good traveling though - first to Siam Reap and then to Mumbai. Cambodia will not be forgotten - my first holiday with the Jups. And Mumbai? Never... who can forget meeting Brat and Aris.

Finally in September, I studied for the GMAT. I fought some personal battles too. Wasnt easy - but I came out stronger. The ability to be self-dependent (which is slightly different from independent) was important. The score was celebrated with an impromptu weekend in Bangkok. Much fun was had.

October was about the application. About brainstorming. About essays. About discussions. About questions. And a cab accident. But it was such a relief, to get it done. A major step towards a larger-than-life dream.

November was sort of a repeat of last year. A holiday in Hong Kong and China. But well, the friends were missing. My love for HK will never die. Suzhou and Hangzhou were beautiful, and Shanghai was discovered with much enthusiasm. I still havent gotten around to penning that Shanghai travelogue though.

December was nothing less than obsessive. Right from the first day, all I did was obsess about the MBA decision. Twenty days and twenty sleepless nights later, I found out that I will be heading to London next year, to be a student again. Wooohooo!


2008 is going to be a very strange year for me - Jupiter leaves for France in March. I will miss her loads. And then I give up work, salary and Singapore to move to London. A new life. New beginnings. I hope it goes well. I have a small feeling that it will. Besides, one lives on hope - tomorrow will be a new day?

7 Comments:

Blogger G Shrivastava said...

Amen!

Happy New Year - may the new year be a joyous and successful one!

1:43 AM  
Blogger San said...

Here's to another memorable year ahead!

3:22 AM  
Blogger livinghigh said...

happy new year, lady :) and best of luck in london.

7:15 AM  
Blogger Brood Mode said...

Congratulations from a fellow bschooler, not in London though. (http://thembasaga.blogspot.com)

Happy New Year! Next year will be eventful for sure ;-)

7:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Casa, honestly I am always inspired everytime I read your entries. I am especially amazed at your solo backpacking trip. I get real anxious everytime I think of travelling alone. I would like to be able to do such things, but I simply don't think I have the courage and confidence to carry myself off to an unfamiliar country alone like that. Heck, I get anxious even exploring my neighbourhood in the city! lol. How do you manage to do it? Any tips? :) Really love courage in a person. Keep it up. Wish you many more safe and fruitful adventures and a happy new year. goodluck for 2008 and ur mba! You'll do great.

5:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful read. Congratulations well done and good luck.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Plain Jane and San,
A toast to hope, and happiness, in 2008 :)

LH,
Come visit me in London!

Brood Mode,
Will surely check your MBA blog. Happy new yr to you!

Harshi,
I dont know how I have the courage to do half the things that I do, but I always thought I was a chicken - hence the need to break barriers and prove to myself :)

EU,
Thank you!! You have surely been my most faithful blog reader :D

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home