Sunday brunch
So tuesday evening is a little late to talk about sunday morning, but cut me some slack, will ya? I had a happening week and too many stories to tell. And as I mentioned to the Wishfulthinker, I am too vain to publish more than one post a day, so you will have to do with the lag. Anyway, I digress (which I do very often, so, nevermind!).
There is only one thing you should be doing at 7am on a sunday morning. Sleeping at home. Please note that I dont make any distinctions about whose home you are sleeping in. That is inconsequential, and I am not a judgemental freak (oh, zip it!) and anyway the important word here is 'sleeping'. What you should not be doing, is landing in Singapore from Bangalore, and waiting to catch the 830am to Hong Kong, and instead of finding a nice place to doze off in transit, go looking for the Silver Lounge and then be turned down by them. Yes yes, serves me right, I know. But in my defense, I was planning to upgrade my flight. Which, apparently, can be done only 2 weeks in advance. Bah! (At this point, let me inform you, that all accusations of being a "spoilt brat" or a "rich kid" shall be taken as compliments. So keep 'em coming, honey)
So the poor girl drags her sleep-deprived self and heavy laptop bag and a suitcase she refused to check-in (so she could beat the queue by not having to wait for checked baggage... beat the queue to what, dont ask me!) all over Singapore airport, and then all over Hong Kong airport, and then all over the Airport express... you get the point, dont ya.
Finally, after much harrassment by hotel staff (read: repeated dialogue on where the cafe is and how much they will charge to my card, which I can narrate with my eyes closed after 3 weeks of hotel-hopping), this girl finally sees a bed, a good 1.5 days after she last saw one. And she collapses. It was like from the frying pan, into the fire. Only, it was with a positive connotation this time.
From one of my favourite cities in India, Bangalore, to another one I love, Hong Kong. It is strange how much I did NOT complain about the traffic in Bangalore. How I was okay that it took us nearly 1 hour to cover a distance which would have taken 20 minutes, a year back. How I did not mind waiting 1.5 hours for a friend to turn up at MG. How I didnt get irritated that all restaurants close at 3pm and there is very little chance of getting a good lunch at a decent place. Sometimes, imperfections are acceptable. Sometimes, it makes us seem real. It makes us realise that we are living, not existing. It might sound very poetic for me to say this, given that I was there for only 3 days, was driven around in air-con cars for most part, and didnt have much of an agenda except to relax and enjoy. Yet, I hope you understand, when I say, there is beauty in imperfection.
As I lay on the bed, providing closure to my thoughts on Bangalore, I looked out of the window, and once again, I realised I saw something beautiful. Buildings crammed against each other, small pigeonholes, a whole lot of traffic, and pollution worth taking note of. Yet, Hong Kong has always looked beautiful to me. Very geeky of me, but allow me to compare it to Middle Earth. Especially IFC1 and IFC2 reminding me of the Two Towers. A weird combination of cloud and smog reducing visibility, at the same time giving everything a mystic look. The backdrop of mountains, which gives this concrete jungle a natural touch. The harbour view and the grey of the skies and the water, mixing into each other.
It is strange how sometimes you love the things you never thought you could tolerate. But I guess they know what they mean, when they say, the heart has a mind of its own.


15 Comments:
:-)
well the heart does have a mind of its own!
Hk does grow on u...and after reading ur description am beginning to like it a little more:-)
You're not vain. You're just lazy! :D/:P/:O And oh yeah, you've been hunted down on orkut!! :D I think. :D
I don't know what has got onto you, but you are making me want to travel,meet my friends, talk silly, get drunk,cry, laugh and hug every other person I know.Life looks beautiful, some how.
Ekta,
Glad my description helped... but even otherwise, dont you just like the buzz this place has, even though we dont understand the language at times?
WT,
Lazy? Me?? Dude, did you see the length of that post :p
And stop stalking me ;)
EU,
Awwww! Life is beautiful, isnt it. And its time to be happy :D :D
Is this post just for your record or may we read it in full?
:-) Jus'kidding. I read it through, anyway.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
the heart has a mind of its own.. and there is beauty in imperfection.... loved those lines!
the Centre at 8pm going berserk during the laser show, the red sampan on the light flecked dark water, mist on the peak and and and...but no good dosa :(
lol
Jingu,
Oh well, now that you have read it anyways, all I will say is that you are mighty patient ;)
Zombie,
It does, it does... the heart does have a mind of its own!
Inkblot,
Oh, but will chhole bhature at Khana Khazana do? :)
so you were in des land haan?
i have been off hte blog world for a few days now. so did you catch some rains etc in bangalore?
It is strange how sometimes you love the things you never thought you could tolerate.
yes, quite like i love my husband sometimes.
ps: how come you back in HK? I thought you'd left it for good?
Sometimes, imperfections are acceptable
Only sometimes.. Coz I guess we make believe that it's a perfect world.
yes I do..
In fact moreso coz it so reminds me of Bombay--my fav city in the world!
Ligne,
Yes, a week in the desh... but not home. Didnt catch the rains. Rather, thankfully the rains didnt catch me.
Cowlick,
Oh well, back here on work, just for a week. I'll be back to Singapore this weekend.
Me,
Or, we change our preferences depending on our mood. We are fickle like that wonly :p
Ekta,
Everyone seems to make that comparison, though I have very little memory of Bombay. Last time I was there, was a good 10 years back. Must revisit :)
Senti pudding.. ;) Lifes and Times of a flight-hopper.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home