Tuesday, April 18, 2006

To Baba

Ever since I can remember, my grandfather has looked the same. He used to visit us very often. Baba. A short bald man, in starched white kurta and dhoti, and a big smile on his face. In winters, he would add a shawl to the ensemble. He would always insist on bathing with cold water at 5 in the morning, even on the coldest of winter days. He would also oil his head everyday, though he was almost completely bald. By the time we woke up, he would be sitting in the sun reading the hindi daily. Yes, my grandfather, for most part of his life, could not read in english. So the days he would come to stay with us, Dad would get the hindi newspaper as well. Till one day, he picked up the english daily and started reading it. At 70, the old man had secretly learnt a new language from the neighbour's kid! I was so proud of him. And that is what I liked about him the most. He was a progressive old man. I remember when I was off to Singapore on my own, all of 16 years, some of my uncles questioned my parents on the wisdom of their decision to let me go. But not him. Baba was always encouraging. He had never been outside India. So when I used to go back home for holidays, he would sit me down and listen attentively to all my stories about Singapore. He would ask questions. He wanted to know all of it! He would refuse to sleep in the afternoon, insisting that he is an active man and doesnt need to rest so much. So he would sit and read instead. Invariably, he would be snoring on the chair five minutes later. But I'll give him this, he was an active man. Till the age of 85, he was very mobile and very full of life. He was totally independent and would even brew his own tea every morning. Dadima wasnt woken up for it.

He fell down at home on 7th April. The same day my niece was born. On 12th, Baba passed away. Its as if to maintain the balance of life, a generation was added, and a generation was lost. Dad says, it was his time to go. Maybe. All I'm glad for is that he passed away a happy man, proud of his children and grandchildren and with no suffering. May he rest in peace.

27 Comments:

Blogger Garima said...

May god give peace to his soul... Gud ppl a always loved by every1 & so they r called up by HIM whenn therte is shortage of gud ppl abve. u r lucky to njoy ur life wid him... unlucky me..dint ever see him :(, never had a chance to play wid him, no jokes & sweet stories... no chocs & those lovely precious moments :(.. but then i guess this is wat life is.. kuch acha kuch bura.. sab kuchnahi mil sakta hai.

12:27 PM  
Blogger The Girl Who Sold The World said...

Your Baba sounds so much like my Dadi...she was among the coolest in my entire family. Guess grandparents have that special appeal.
May your Baba rest in peace.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Dreamcatcher said...

May his soul rest in peace.

3:05 PM  
Blogger burf said...

im sorry
condolenses

5:02 PM  
Blogger ligne said...

Your baba must have been a wonderful person, having never had any grandparents I can only guess what it must have been like having him around..

8:28 PM  
Blogger educatedunemployed said...

*Warm hug*..It is a loss indeed.
Congrats on your niece..Bigger hug..you are an AUNT now..Enjoy the little angel..

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm very sad to hear of your loss casa. You know it's so very very odd. My aunt passed away last week. She died of cancer.

Her daughter (my mom's niece) was pregnant and she just delivered yesterday.

A generation lost and another one born.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Jinguchakka said...

Hope you are okay. When we are not near our dear ones, it aches.

10:02 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Garima,
I guess its okay. Everyone has to go. I'm glad he went so late.

Girl,
Yes, grandparents are quite special.

DC, Burf,
Thanks for your wishes.

Ligne,
I cant really remember much of my maternal grandparents, but was quite close to paternal ones.

EU,
Thanks sweetie! Now, suggest names for the kid :D

Anon,
Strange, isnt it? This balance...

Jingu,
Thanks, am quite fine. We live through all this.

10:04 PM  
Blogger Mr. J said...

He sure had substance and is definitely in a better place. May his soul rest in peace.

11:45 PM  
Blogger quills said...

Sorry to hear that your grandfather passed away. My sincere condolences and prayers to you and your family. From your post, I can imagine what a sensible, disciplined and loving man he must have been. May his soul rest in peace.

1:35 AM  
Blogger alice said...

sorry to hear abt ur dadaji....but he's in a better place now...and i m sure he is happy there...take care...

1:51 AM  
Blogger twip said...

Im really sorry to hear about your grandpa.

*gives a bug hug*

May he rest in peace.

4:00 AM  
Blogger A and A said...

Sorry about your grandpa. I'm sure he's at peace wherever he is. *hug*

4:32 AM  
Blogger the cowlick said...

Beautifully written, Casa. God bless you. I'm getting goose bumps.
(You came to singapore when you were 16!)

8:16 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Me,
I think if we look at it the right way, everyone has substance, isnt it :)

Quills, Alice,
Thanks so much for the wishes.

Punkster, Wishful,
Thanks! *hugs*

Cowlick,
Yes I did. Never thought it was so shocking. Now you're making me feel like an alien or something :p

9:22 AM  
Blogger the cowlick said...

nooo sweetie.. just brave as hell :)

11:08 AM  
Blogger littlecow said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Ekta said...

Awww!
Am so sorry to hear that casa!
But ur post reminded me soo much of my own grandfather!
He used to stay with us since I was born and was closer to him than my own dad!
He was an amazing person and as u rightly said sooo much more progressive and open-minded than my own parents!
He used to give me one candy toffee a day--I was the firts granddaughter in the house and his favourite!
He died when I has just cleared my 10 exams...and even today everytime I think about him my eyes get moist!
God bless all our lovely grandparents!

12:03 PM  
Blogger KM said...

hey you!
you're grandfather would be proud of this post!
:)
*big fat desi hug*

3:10 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Cowlick,
For some reason, I never found it scary. Was excited more than nervous... till I landed here, of course ;)

Ekta,
My grandparents stayed with us only for short stints, but it was good nonetheless.

Khizzy,
Thanks so much dear!

3:44 PM  
Blogger bluegreenflysplat said...

i'd have liked to meet him. anyone who decides to do something at 70 like learning a new language, and does it well, you know tehy've lived.

85 is a good age to move on, no?

oh, and hopefully, your niece will be cooler than him too!

AND, i was wondering about your reaction to the poem. glad you liked it. :)

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sure what to say...

Take care,

10:01 PM  
Blogger Stray Angel said...

He sounds like a wonderful person. I hope he's happy wherever he is.

Take care.

2:52 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Bgfs,
Yes, 85 is a good enough time to move on. Which I guess, made it much easier to let go.
And the poetess in you leaves me speechless! The thoughts and actions, intertwined so beautifully in that poem. Its awesome!

Pidus,
Thanks, glad you said as much :)

Wild1,
He was a nice person, no doubt.

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about this.

May he rest in peace and may God give you and your family the strength to endure this.

6:03 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Dee,
Thanks for your wishes.

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home