Homecoming
I left for NY airport at 5am last morning, and entered home about 25 hours later. Thanks to United, who run such horrible long haul flights, 20 of those hours were spent in the company of minimum entertainment, cramped seats and bad food. And on touchdown at HK, I was actually happy to be home. Yes, home. 3 months here, and it already feels like home. Its strange how easily parameters change.
Little did I know my problems were far from over.
The buzz of HK is gone.
WTO convention is going on less than a kilometer from my house. More than 7000 police personnel have been deployed to control the violent protests. This meant I could not take a taxi home. So I dragged my suitcase (who's stroller had to give way today!), my heavy overcoat and my jetlagged body all the way to the subway station. Finally reached home, with bruised hands and not a drop of energy left. Went downstairs to buy some food to revive myself. But not much luck. Roads are deserted. Shops and restaurants are closed. The weekend before christmas, and the place looks like a ghost town.
I wont bother arguing for or against WTO and its policies. I will just question, naively infact, if such street protests have any effect on the actual convention, other than totally paralysing public life in the host country?


28 Comments:
zero effect on conventions.
u see dogs barking at elephants in india and inturn the elephant has got an expression on his face "i dont care a rats arse about them"
...its something similar.
hey Casanova!!!
sorry for the not-so-warm-welcome but its good to have u back which means ull be writing much more :D yay! for that
welcome back dear friend.
Welcome back - hope you managed to get some food in the end and hope tomm is a more restful, rejuventing day! Take care! Bon weekend!
Zii,
Toh-tah-lee agree!
Sohnii,
Yup, will be writing LOTS :D
Anthony,
Thanks!
Gee,
Yup had some bread for dinner finally.
things could have been worse... bad food and seats are nothing compared to a kid sitting behind you kicking throughout the flight and parents who do nothing about it.
good to have you back :)
damm man... that was one sucky trip...
ohhh i have a bad coming back scene too...
bad seat, bad food, 48 hrs of no sleep, two very irritating men sitting next to u, rest of the flight staring at u thinking ure with them...does that compare with ur coming back??? oh wait, my brother came to pick me up after a one hour flight... u win. :) gud to have u back.
Ouch!
back home ah ? lucky u
:)
probably u should join the protests....we can then read about u in the media...good luck recuperating from ur jet lag
i guess you would be answering this question, in the next few posts anyway: how was the trip?
Although it is fun to watch people getting hosed down on TV. I'd like to be there. ;-)
I'm travelling next weekend - home! for 3 wonderful weeks!
how do you get the songs to play on your site?
I was actually contemplating on flying on UA on a forthcoming trip....your feedback should be a good deterrent :-)
I think HK economy would be gaining from all the protesters as they would be using hotels / restaurants and spending lot of money in HK.
I saw those ugly protests on TV and it wasn't a really good sight.
so how was NY?
Big Man,
But I did have a kid wailing all through the flight, sitting right infront of me :(
Clint,
No it was a good trip. But the return leg, as for most good things that come to an end, was bad.
Sohnii,
1 hour flight and you are complaining?????? :p
Sanity,
Yup, ouch!
Jagan,
Well, back to HK. Which has now kind of become home :)
Pointy,
Yes I was considering joining them. Apparently they are getting free food out there ;)
Totti,
You are right. The trip was good, but my observations to come in the next few posts :)
Jupiter,
Yes it would be more interesting to watch TV if I were munching fries while doing that! I'm starved man!
Prerona,
Have fun! Damn, I wanna go to India too :(
Music... hmmm, google for html code for 'embed' and then link it to a song available online.
Kaps,
DONT take United.
As for the protestors, they are mostly on the streets all the time. I doubt hotels or restaurants are being used :p
DD,
A little disappointing ;)
But more of that in my next few posts.
Good to have you back!!!
ur back ur back ur back!
woohoo!
wats the song thats playing?
go grab a couple of beers and all this wont matter....and welcome back ... :)
Wishfulthinker,
Good to be back ;)
Khizzy,
'Aankhon mein' from the movie Company.
Alice,
But but but... all stores were closed. Forget beer, there was no place to buy even water last night!
The fact that you already know that there are ppl out there protesting proves that they r succeeding in getting ppl to know abt their cause (whether they r actually gaining any public sympathy out of it or not is a different matter altogether)
WB
lol.. a classic case of wrong person at the wrong time at the wrong place..
Heyyy! Nice to see you back.Cheers!
//Thanks to United, who run such horrible long haul flights, 20 of those hours were spent in the company of minimum entertainment, cramped seats and bad food.
Tell me abt it...I felt they were worse than Air India/Indian Airlines!
r u like perm based in HK now?
whr do u stay ther?in HK island or Kowloon?(trying to rem the lil bit of HK I know)
Rohan,
Yes we know their cause, but as I said, it seems to have very little effect on the ministerial forum, and that is what matters. Its NOT about public awareness, it really was about the WTO resolution, wasnt it?
Sonu,
Ah well... happens to all of us I guess.
Educatedunemployed,
Thanks dear, for the kind welcome :)
Angelsera,
whr do u stay ther?
At home :)
PS: Do details matter?
nope they dont..but like I said
//trying to rem the lil bit of HK I know
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home