Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Accidentally in Love

In 2006, started my love affair. With Hong Kong. Although the courtship began in 2005, I really got attached to the place in 2006. That year, I lived in HK from January to March. I traveled there on work a few times in June, and then I holidayed there in November. And I still missed it. These days, the grey, cloudy outdoors of Singapore remind me of Hong Kong. The sky there, was always overcast, with a generous helping of pollution and fog during the rainy months. Add to that the grey of concrete, and the place looked so gloomy. Yet, I never found it gloomy. It was always so full of energy. It is. How can I love it so much? I don’t know. Do we ever know? It is unreasonable, inexplicable love. Every time I speak to Stitch, I miss HK. He was telling me about the sale and shopping there, and I was almost tempted to go online and book myself a weekend getaway. But that cant happen right now. Nee is coming to Singapore next week. Nee is currently in the UAE, and very excitedly told me about his one week in Singapore. We have made big plans to hang out. I know that too, will remind me of HK. I knew Nee before, but we really got to know each other during the one month he spent in HK. I regret not hanging out with him more often while he was there, but it was fun discovering HK together. I still remember him panicking on the phone just before he left – we had partied late the previous night and he was late for his flight. I helped him with the online check-in, but never got the chance to say goodbye in person. I haven’t met him since. Jack moved from HK to Singapore last year, and through him, I’ve kept the HK connection alive. I know he misses the city much more than I do. Oh well. So is life.

I am not sure what brought about this sudden reminiscing… maybe the grey outside. Maybe the conversation with Stitch. Maybe the email from Nee. Maybe reading ‘Maximum City’. Maybe.. just the realization, that we always want, what we cant have.

Sigh.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have always felt HK to be more alive a place than SG - the little choas, little unorganzied places in HK actually looked so much better than Singapore.

Even almost after a year, I still remember the awesome food of HK, the pleasant night walks at Victoria Harbour, the chilling wind in night at Victoria Peak, the weather....

sigh... :-|

Now your post is motivating me to plan another vacation in HK! :)

10:38 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

LO,
Trust me, I have to try very hard for booking my tickets to HK!!!
It really is a lovely place, isnt it :)

10:37 PM  
Blogger Susu said...

I never thought a desi might like chinkiland.. waaw!!! impressive:)

12:34 AM  
Blogger Shubhodeep said...

hey howr u?? long time eh???... hope u still remember me.... btw i have shifted to singapore to pursue higher studies... hope to blog more often from now... glad to see you are still blogging away to glory...

do visit my blog sometime...

1:31 PM  
Blogger KM said...

:) im stil alive.
i posted something like this yesterday.
:P
but a step further maybe.

4:09 PM  
Blogger Ekta said...

heyy,
awwww i didnt know u loved HK...am based in HK although past few mths have been in India...but will be going back to HK by sept..so why dont u come to HK and stay with us and holiday with us:-)

6:56 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Susu,
Hahaha... this desi loves HK. Maybe because she's been living out of the 'desh' for 9 years now.

Shubhodeep,
Welcome to my city :)
And will visit your blog soon!

Khizzy,
So nice to see you here! I'm guilty of not having read you for a long time. Will remedy that pronto :)

Ekta,
That is amazingly generous of you :) Thanks!
I will visit HK some time over the next few months... will surely meet up with you.

11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home