Max-ed out
It has been a tiring day. I was up at 4:30 to see my mom off at the airport. She has been packed off to the sister and will be back in 2 weeks. I will shamelessly say that I missed my alone time while she was around. The house feels a little empty this evening - but it is okay. I am incapable of engaging her in conversation every waking moment at home. I need my quiet time to just sit and think and sulk and mull and be. That is how I de-stress every evening. Of course, that doesnt mean I dont like talking... but it is just that the few people I can talk to at length are not accessible right now. So be it.
Anyhoo. I have been reading 'Maximum City' and loving it. I've never lived in Bombay, but what I do relate to is an NRI's sense of misfit whether he is outside India or back home. I have for long said that I will go back to India after a few years, but I am not so sure anymore. Can I keep uprooting myself and running from place to place? Will I even fit in if I return? Do I want to put in that kind of effort? Again, questions and more questions. But it is okay. I will let life takes its course. I loved how the author words this restlessness that we expatriates have - "It was when I first realised I had a new nationality: I was an exile. I am an adulterous resident: when I am in one city, I am dreaming of the other. I am an exile; citizen of the country of longing."
So that is that. Mom is gone. The week is not yet over. Work was very hectic. I miss the housemate. I have a headache. And I am going back to my book... maximum relief from all this.
PS: I got tickets to 'King and I', the lovely musical, for Jupiter and myself... it is on the 16th of August. Wheeeeeeeeheeeeee!


5 Comments:
I will say through experience that if one has not lived in his native country/city, he/she is as foreign to it as any other person who has never visited that country/city would be.
We all need to accept that. I would never pressurize myself to be a part of people i have not lived with or known.
(sorry, i m just very opinionated)
That reminds of a quote - Patriotism is the conviction that your country is superior to all other because you were born in it.
I think it doesn't really matter what is your home country as long as one has the company of the loved ones, and happy being at a place... rest we all adjust to any new place we go to if we really like it...
cheers!
ooh I so relate to this casa!...even I have been out India for 1.5 yrs and now that i came back to bombay for a few mths..i kinda wonder if I will really be able to readjust ever again!
and then two days after u'll come and MEET MEEE.. yay !
Raaji,
Well I have lived in my native country for years, but I think I've also been away for quite long now..
LO,
I guess you are right... when you have friends and a good life, the city doesnt matter as much I guess.
Ekta,
And I have been out of India for 9 years now, so you can imagine :)
Brat,
Yes I am still waiting for the bookings to be made at office.. bloody red-tape!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home